So, where's our DLC?

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
Here it is, second week in May, and none of the promised DLC in sight. I know the Xbox had it's issues, but that shouldn't be our (ps3 owners) problem.

Would be nice to see some official word from the devs.

The Doctor

Banned
May 1, 2012
Here it is, second week in May, and none of the promised DLC in sight. I know the Xbox had it's issues, but that shouldn't be our (ps3 owners) problem.

Would be nice to see some official word from the devs.

I'm getting pretty annoyed at the broken promises and lack of communication about these things.. "Console DLC will be available the first week of May." yeah.. lol.. okay Farsight...

I'm starting to regret my purchase.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Sony and Microsoft's approval process...

rka58l.jpg

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I realize you guys are upset, but I assure you FarSight is working as quickly as they can. I'm sure they'd love it if console releases could be approved as quickly as iOS releases (not to mention Android, which takes almost no time). Keep in mind they can't make money if they don't release product, so they want to get it out the door as quickly as they can, they're just not always in control over things on the console side.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
I realize you guys are upset, but I assure you FarSight is working as quickly as they can. I'm sure they'd love it if console releases could be approved as quickly as iOS releases (not to mention Android, which takes almost no time). Keep in mind they can't make money if they don't release product, so they want to get it out the door as quickly as they can, they're just not always in control over things on the console side.

True, but some official word would be nice for starters. Also, from what we've heard (and I don't know how official that is) it's only the Xbox DLC that was rejected, so again, what about PS3?

The Doctor

Banned
May 1, 2012

I don't understand this argument about how we can't have (relative) platform parity "because" of console approval time. Their engine doesn't require them to make DLC table seperately for each platform. Once they have a table ready for submisssion then why not submit to consoles first, since their certification takes longer...

ex. If I am going to make dinner and a piece of meat takes 30min to cook and potatoes take 20 mins then I am logically going to start cooking the meat first.

The Doctor

Banned
May 1, 2012
True, but some official word would be nice for starters. Also, from what we've heard (and I don't know how official that is) it's only the Xbox DLC that was rejected, so again, what about PS3?

Another thing I don't get is, according to their FB page, DLC #1 is with SCEA waiting approval... they then go on to state that DLC #2 will be submitted as soon as DLC #1 is released (or maybe it was approved?) What I don't understand is if they have a DLC #2 ready to submit, why wait?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
They have submitted dlc 1 as soon as it was ready, to everyone. They literally did as you said: send it in as soon as dinner was done.

And to the prevolious poster, you got official word yesterday "ps3 version is up for approval at scea". That was yesterday, chances were slim they were gonna make today.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I don't understand this argument about how we can't have (relative) platform parity "because" of console approval time.

Well, for the reason that just happened. Microsoft rejected DLC 1 (for reasons we don't know). If their goal is to get everything out at the same time, and one thing gets held up, what are they supposed to do, delay everything else that's ready to go? Also, a company needs to make money, so holding back products that are done doesn't make them anything.

Just remember, asking for parity won't allow you to play anything sooner.

Toploader

May 8, 2012
Thank god for the Mobile versions at least, and I'm sure glad they don't wait until all versions have been approved until they are released. PBA is kinda fun on my phone / tablet and a great preview, but it's never gonna beat the full versions for me. Being in Europe though, I don't even had the base installed yet.

Between this silliness, and Valve bizarrely not welcoming PBA with open arms for the PC, I'm starting to wonder if the industry has gone crazy.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Another thing I don't get is, according to their FB page, DLC #1 is with SCEA waiting approval... they then go on to state that DLC #2 will be submitted as soon as DLC #1 is released (or maybe it was approved?) What I don't understand is if they have a DLC #2 ready to submit, why wait?

Since each DLC pack, game & version literally builds on the previous versions, it makes sense to wait for one to get approved before submitting the next.
A failed approval for one pack is quite likely going to result in the next pack failing for the same reason.

If a submission fails, you can be pretty sure that any future packs will have that same error fixed before submission.
By "stacking" multiple submissions at the same time, Farsight risks having multiple submissions fail at the same time.

As much as the folks at Farsight enjoy thier work, they DO have to make some money to support themselves. Flushing cash on failed submission attempts helps nobody.

In the future, when they have a string of successful submissions for each platform, I could see them risking overlapping submissions to get faster releases.

Not until then.

Complaining and whining about it won't get the approval process to go faster. It just annoys everyone. <-- Not directed specifically at the person I quoted, just in general.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
to Farsight:

Use the "Scotty" method, from Star Trek.

Under-Promise.
Over-Deliver!

Beating deadlines makes you look like miracle workers.
Regularly walk on water, but miss a single deadline and the bitter masses will fling poo in your direction.

You have a VERY ambitious release schedule across many platforms.
Keep plugging away at it. Release what's done when it's done well, and not before.

Maybe just stop announcing anything till the approvals are done.
Having approved releases as a surprise does beat having announced deadlines being missed.

I'm a PC guy, a software developer and a pinball fanatic.
I don't have ANY platform that I can play The Pinball Arcade on at the moment.

Am I anxious to have a PC release I can finally play?
Absolutely!

I also have the patience to not melt down because I can't play it yet.

Maybe I'm just getting too old.
Maybe I just have a few civil bones in my body and an appreciation for the hard work that you folks at FarSight are doing.

djwille

Apr 2, 2012
I think farsight is not the problem here but Sony en MS. The approval time is very long.
Sadly we are the bitten dogs (in dutch "de gebeten hond").

I hope Sony en MS make a procedure that the approval time will go quicker.
There for i'm glad that i have an IPAD so i can play those updates quicker.

My EU PS3 is also waiting for the release of Pinball Arcade.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
I think farsight is not the problem here but Sony en MS. The approval time is very long.

Not quite....companies know by now what to expect of the approval process. If they don't, that's on them, not sony or ms.

Here's what I don't get. We were supposed to get DLC first week of May. But then it's only submitted a few days ago? But that same DLC was already rejected by MS?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Not quite....companies know by now what to expect of the approval process. If they don't, that's on them, not sony or ms.

Here's what I don't get. We were supposed to get DLC first week of May. But then it's only submitted a few days ago? But that same DLC was already rejected by MS?

The first DLC pack was sent to Microsoft and Sony a little over a month ago. Microsoft rejected it on Monday and Sony is still in the process of approving it. FarSight will resubmit the first DLC pack along with the second DLC pack to Microsoft this week.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

You say "companies" as if they are one entity that thinks and operates as one. FarSight is new to the DLC game and I'm sure there is a learning curve. Chillax! :D And play some more Theater of Magic! ;)

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
You say "companies" as if they are one entity that thinks and operates as one. FarSight is new to the DLC game and I'm sure there is a learning curve. Chillax! :D And play some more Theater of Magic! ;)

Any company going into the biz of releasing games on consoles better know the in-and-outs of DLC and patches. No excuse not to.

I prefer Ripley's. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts