Confirmed: User Adjustable Lighting on PS4!

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Two comments mentioning it is not a discussion.

It's totally thread worthy as this is a huge deal. It's the top requested feature people have wanted for over a year that hasn't been added until now.

Fact that I read the forums alot and post alot says enough. If it slipped under my radar chances it slipped under many other people's. I'm surprised next to know one wants to talk about it but ok I guess. Forums feel like a ghost town lately.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Fact that I read the forums alot and post alot says enough. If it slipped under my radar chances it slipped under many other people's.

Indeed! Thanks for posting this in its own thread. With the limited amount time I have now because of my new job. I don't have time to read every post in every discussion thread as I used to.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
My time on the PS4 version of TPA I spent quite a bit of time just playing with the darkness selections. For those that don't know the three settings are "dark", "neutral" and "bright". Bright is like playing pinball in a really bright room and will be appreciated by those players that want to see the table art in bright living color. I think dark is like playing in a very dimly lit room but you can still make out all table details even if they aren't lit directly by table lights. I think instead of the neutral setting there should be a "lights out" setting which would only be light from the table. The FarSight guy at the booth said that "the only opinion that counts at FarSight" thinks that the dark setting should be darker.

However, I think people will be really pleased with the lighting options. The lighting looks so good on the PS4 version to begin with but then with having the option to tweek the overall brightness is awesome! I played around with it for about 20 minutes between Thursday night and again on Saturday morning. The vendor hall was dead at 9am Saturday and I was able to spend a little more time playing with the PS4 version. I'm really looking forward to the PS4 release!

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The only reason I could see why they wouldn't include it in the PS3 would be if the adjustment is somehow tied to the new advanced lighting.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I think it's the selling point for the PS4 version. Although There's rumors of a massive ps3 patch so anything is possible.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
My time on the PS4 version of TPA I spent quite a bit of time just playing with the darkness selections. For those that don't know the three settings are "dark", "neutral" and "bright". Bright is like playing pinball in a really bright room and will be appreciated by those players that want to see the table art in bright living color. I think dark is like playing in a very dimly lit room but you can still make out all table details even if they aren't lit directly by table lights. I think instead of the neutral setting there should be a "lights out" setting which would only be light from the table. The FarSight guy at the booth said that "the only opinion that counts at FarSight" thinks that the dark setting should be darker.

However, I think people will be really pleased with the lighting options. The lighting looks so good on the PS4 version to begin with but then with having the option to tweek the overall brightness is awesome! I played around with it for about 20 minutes between Thursday night and again on Saturday morning. The vendor hall was dead at 9am Saturday and I was able to spend a little more time playing with the PS4 version. I'm really looking forward to the PS4 release!

What does "nuetral" look like ? Can you compare it to anything currently out? I'm assuming "bright" is similar to mobile but with the console bells and whistles, I've seen dark and I think it looks great, though a lights off completely would be cool. I'm just curious what nuetral is like.

Also slightly off topic, but did you experience any of the slowdown people were talking about with Cirqus Voltaire or other tables?

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
What does "nuetral" look like ? Can you compare it to anything currently out? I'm assuming "bright" is similar to mobile but with the console bells and whistles, I've seen dark and I think it looks great, though a lights off completely would be cool. I'm just curious what nuetral is like.

Also slightly off topic, but did you experience any of the slowdown people were talking about with Cirqus Voltaire or other tables?

I didn't play circus Voltaire but I didn't see any slowdown. I notice slowdown from time to time on the PS3 during multiball. I didn't see any slowdown in the PS4 version. Between my daughter and I we got to multiball on at least 4 tables.

Bright is a completely illuminated table with absolutely no shadows or dark areas. It's like playing during the day with very bright and diffused lighting. Neutral is more like playing in an arcade during the day that has a row of windows in the front but the pinball machines are toward the back.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I'm kinda surprised they didn't just implement an analog style lighting slider, but I guess its easier to tweak specific shaders for set values rather than fully variable. There is obviously PLENTY of scope for improvements in the future now they have so much more GPU power to play with.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I just deleted a post that directly attacked a member of the FarSight development team. Once again, please do not post comments that directly attack forum members or members of the FarSight development team. If you can't follow these simple rules, then please refrain from posting on the forum.

Members online

Members online