Strikes 'N Spares? Why?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
With all the great tables out there, they're going to waste a release on this piece of junk? It's barely even a pinball - it's much closer to shuffle bowling. It was the worst table on Gottlieb collection (which wasn't exactly that greatest selection to begin with). In fact, it was a bonus table, not even good enough to warrant being a "true" table. I just hope they pair it up with something really lame, like Central Park, Black Knight, or Fire Power.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
With all the great tables out there, they're going to waste a release on this piece of junk? It's barely even a pinball - it's much closer to shuffle bowling. It was the worst table on Gottlieb collection (which wasn't exactly that greatest selection to begin with). In fact, it was a bonus table, not even good enough to warrant being a "true" table. I just hope they pair it up with something really lame, like Central Park, Black Knight, or Fire Power.

I can agree with your sentiment regarding Strikes N' Spares. I've played a real one in the past and it's nothing more than a novelty with very little lasting power. However, I really like Black Knight and Firepower. These are historic tables and each was a first with some of their features. Black Knight was the first multi level playfield table and first with Magna Save. Firepower was the first solid state table with multiball. Definitely looking forward to them.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I want to see Black Knight and Firepower, as well. I rather see a table with a similar name, Bally's Strikes and Spares, than Strikes 'n Spares. I'm hoping Haunted House will come too. Even though these early SS machines are more simple, I hope they go for accurate ROM emulation with these machines as well. Black Hole is a good conversion, but it is missing some voice samples and has some other innaccuracies.

I disagree on Central Park as well. I found it to be one of the better machines in the Gottlieb collection, after learning the rules. I hope to see some EMs that aren't in the Gottlieb collection when Farsight gets around to EMs. I know they are going for more popular tables, but there are a lot of quality EMs out there, many better than the ones in the Gottlieb collection.

Some info on Black Hole

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Even though these early SS machines are more simple, I hope they go for accurate ROM emulation with these machines as well. Black Hole is a good conversion, but it is missing some voice samples and has some other innaccuracies.
Some info on Black Hole

Here I thought Farsight was doing everything possible to make these authentic recreations, and then I find out there are glaring inaccuracies. Imperfect physics are understandable, but there's no excuse for missing voice samples and other rom-related issues.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Black Knight....Firepower.....LAME?!?!?!?!

I bout choked on my tuna sandwich. I hope your trolling. Those are awesome tables.

Personally, I prefer the older tables that feature drop targets. Black Hole is by far my favorite of the PHOF releases.

EDIT: also I LIKE JIVE TIME. ...there I said it.

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Black Knight....Firepower.....LAME?!?!?!?!

I bout choked on my tuna sandwich. I hope your trolling. Those are awesome tables.

Personally, I prefer the older tables that feature drop targets. Black Hole is by far my favorite of the PHOF releases.

EDIT: also I LIKE JIVE TIME. ...there I said it.

They were awesome back in 1980, and they were innovative; in a museum, they'd be placed in a special display, but can they compete with more modern machines? For the most part, no.
Lame is of course relative with Firepower and Black Knight - they're decent on their own, but come up short when compared to their more modern peers, such as Black Knight 2000). Strikes 'N Spares, however, is just lame, period. The ball comes at the flippers the same way each time, and if you memorize the "sweet spot", perfect games are a snap!

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
They were awesome back in 1980, and they were innovative; in a museum, they'd be placed in a special display, but can they compete with more modern machines? For the most part, no.
Depends on what you're looking for in your pinball table. I prefer DMD and late 80s SS tables myself, but I know many people both on this forum and in real life that prefer the more "pure" experience offered by early 80s solid states and even EM machines. I can't really tell you what "purity" means in this context, other than it seems to be more an emphasis on raw pinball skill and stamina rather than the strategy required to optimize mode play, multiball stacking, and other complexities of the more modern machines. You'd have to ask a fan of the earlier machines if you want to know more.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Lame is of course relative with Firepower and Black Knight - they're decent on their own, but come up short when compared to their more modern peers, such as Black Knight 2000). Strikes 'N Spares, however, is just lame, period. The ball comes at the flippers the same way each time, and if you memorize the "sweet spot", perfect games are a snap!

Buldoze all the libraries. We have eBooks now.
Crush any car more than 5 years old. We don't need any classics. New cars are safer, with better technology.
Paintings? Photographs? Burn them all. We can look at pictures on iPads and iPhones.
Video Games? Throw away everything but the newest game you purchased or downloaded. The rest are obsolete. There's no possible way they can be any fun.
Pinball? That's an obsolete game. Most of the manufacturers are gone. Why bother playing it at all?

Seriously... Black Knight 2000?
That came out in 1989.
That's TWENTY THREE YEARS AGO.
Why in the holy hell would you want to play something that old?

Last edited:

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Seriously... Black Knight 2000?
That came out in 1989.
That's TWENTY THREE YEARS AGO.
Why in the holy hell would you want to play something that old?

Oh, that's right. The "2000" back then actually meant "The Future". Y'know, with flying cars and sh*t. Thanks for making me realize I'm old.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I imagine the leaderboards would be pretty lame for Strikes N' Spares, since the highest score you can get is 300, and that isn't too hard to achieve. You'll score a perfect game, yet be number 2657 on the leaderboards. What fun! The table goals would also be very limited. I can see it now:

Table Goals:
1. Get a strike
2. Get 2 strikes
3. Get 3 strikes
4. Get 3 strikes in a row
5. Get 4 strikes

Wizard Goals
1. Get 4 strikes in a row
2. Get 5 strikes in a row
3. Get 6 strikes in a row
4. Get 9 strikes in a row
5. Get a perfect game

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
But Strikes n' Spares is not even a proper pinball machine; it's a bowling-themed redemption game. It would make no sense for FarSight to reproduce that.

They reproduced it for the Gottieb collection, and it's listed in their official thread for confirmed release tables. I agree it makes no sense, but it has been officially announced, hence the thread's title.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
They reproduced it for the Gottieb collection, and it's listed in their official thread for confirmed release tables. I agree it makes no sense, but it has been officially announced, hence the thread's title.
I love what FarSight's done in bringing us TPA, but sometimes their decisions just baffle me... :confused:

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Strikes 'n Spares does have three modes of play, so it's not just 10 frame bowling. It's not a "true" pin, but there's a few goals that can go with it besides just "get some strikes".

That said, I don't see them releasing it for a long time. Not this year, that's for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts