DualShock4 and TPA

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Having had a chance recently to play TPA on the PS4 I can verify that at least at this time the controls will be the same as on the PS3. The DualShock4 adds some new features that I'd like to see FarSight take advantage of. The underside touch pad is not just a touch pad that can be used by sliding a finger across, it is also one big button. I think some people have wondered if FarSight would use the touch pad for table nudging. I see no problem with keeping the nudging on the left stick and in fact the nudging control felt really good on the DualShock4. I have two thoughts though for how to use the touch pad as a big push button. The first idea is to use it as a new game launch button after a game is over to launch a new game with the same parameters. Just finished playing a three player game of Funhouse? Hit the button and start a new three player game of Funhouse! The other use I've thought of is as a launch button, troll bombs and cannon shooter button.

The only big difference that I felt when I played with the DualShock4 was that it felt smaller than the 3. I think this is mostly attributable to the shoulder buttons not being mounted on large shoulders but rather just a little bump out. Slightly lesser difference was the feeling of the L1/R1 buttons. They were more snappy and less mushy than their predecessor. This could be partially because the DualShock4 was new but my 3 at home is new within a year.

Anyone else have ideas for how the DualShock4 can be designed for use in TPA or have any other thoughts or reservations about the controller?

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I really hope Farsight considers taking full advantage of what the DualShock 4 has to offer.

The touch pad would make sense for nudging IMO.
Also, the motion tracking on the DS4 along with the Sony camera is said to be very accurate. This might make more sense for nudging. I guess the best move would be to include all of these as an option.

The LED on the back of the controller can generate hundreds of different color combinations. It would be kind of cool if they could some how sync this up with certain table modes to enhance the visual experience.

I also hope they utilize the ability to press the share button and share your pinball highlights with everyone.

Sony also increased the vibration accuracy on the pad. Supposedly they can make it feel like you have tiny objects rolling around inside of the controller by simulating weight.
It would be kind of interesting if they used this to make it feel like the ball is hitting either the right or left flippers.

Here's a video of the tech demo Playroom

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts