Buy PC version or PS3 version?

DodgeRodge

Jan 17, 2013
Hello,

I currently own TPA on X360 and I enjoy it alot. But as I don't wait for decades for new tables (especially ST:TNG and T2), I am now either buying the PC version or the PS3 version - I just don't know which one is better.

After watching some PC beta videos on youtube and playing the PS3 demo, I am unsure which version to get. It seems to me that the PC version does look & play better than the PS3 version. Is that true?
If going for PC, TPA will be played on my TV with a X360 wired gamepad. So the game should "feel" the same on both systems.

What would be your advice: PC or PS3 version?

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
PC. No Doubt.

Forget about the PS3. PC will be the lead platform and has a bright future.
It starts as a DX9 game but in the future pc v. will also support DX11.
Then, TPA on the PC will look like the PS4 version or better.

Last edited:

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
PC version will also be able to keep up the releases with the mobile versions. PS3 always lags behind a couple of months.

DodgeRodge

Jan 17, 2013
Thanks for the responses. Now I am curious for the PS4 version...
But as Rudy said, consoles will always lag behind in terms of updates due to their certification stuff. So in the long run the PC seems to be the best choice...

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
I suppose the choice is easy since I don't have a PS3, but it's PC regardless. More than a few times, I considered buying a Playstation so that I could play TPA on more than just what I could get on the Xbox... But I held out hope that a PC version was coming.

And that's what I'm getting.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
At this point, starting fresh and having the ability to play on a big screen with your setup, PC all the way. While I currently prefer the PS3 graphics to PC (not as bloomy), that will all change once the PC does DirectX 11 and turns into a PS4 version of graphics. On top of that, you'll have the ability to log into Steam on any computer and play.

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
At this point, starting fresh and having the ability to play on a big screen with your setup, PC all the way. While I currently prefer the PS3 graphics to PC (not as bloomy), that will all change once the PC does DirectX 11 and turns into a PS4 version of graphics. On top of that, you'll have the ability to log into Steam on any computer and play.

And mods. I'd be pretty surprised if people don't mod/improve the game.

DodgeRodge

Jan 17, 2013
Ok for the record: The PC won vs PS3 :D

One sideonote to the PS3 version (tried the demo yesterday): It seems the flippers react with a small delay to my input. I had troubles hitting the ball at the right time. On Xbox360 this is not the case for me. Is this just me, because I am not used to the PS3 controller, or is that an issue with the PS3 version? If yes, I am concerned to have the same issue on PC...

Gozer

Jun 10, 2013
Yep. Looks like it also uses 2xMSAA. It's rare to have 360/ps3 games running 1920x1080 natively. The 2xMSAA is a nice bonus.

Ok for the record: The PC won vs PS3 :D

One sideonote to the PS3 version (tried the demo yesterday): It seems the flippers react with a small delay to my input. I had troubles hitting the ball at the right time. On Xbox360 this is not the case for me. Is this just me, because I am not used to the PS3 controller, or is that an issue with the PS3 version? If yes, I am concerned to have the same issue on PC...

The beta testers had confirmed that flipper lag is not present on the PC version.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
Yep. Looks like it also uses 2xMSAA. It's rare to have 360/ps3 games running 1920x1080 natively. The 2xMSAA is a nice bonus.

The beta testers had confirmed that flipper lag is not present on the PC version.

interestingly, to someone who has never played TPA before (eg. my girlfriend), there was an instant feeling of lag on the PC beta. she was certain that the flippers were reacting too late. thing is: if you've played the game for such a long time on different platforms you probably get used to a certain level of lag and compensate for it. definitely seems to be the case for me!

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Maybe it was just a bad excuse from your GF for scoring badly. ;)

Good thing on the PC is, if you have input lag, then you can upgrade your hardware or you can lower the graphic settings in your game.
(or you can wait until Farsight optimizes the code)

Last edited:

Members online

Members online