Is there enough market for a special controller?

Blunt Fish Games

Apr 7, 2012
I was just wondering if people think there's enough of a pinball-fan market to interest Mad Catz or some other company in creating a controller for PC/PS3/Xbox 360/etc. that helps to simulate the authentic pinball experience. Hey, fighting game fans get a new joystick pumped out with every release, why can't we get one?

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Philips made such a thing once:
e23b64d3.jpg

http://carcavelos-lisboa.olx.pt/maq...ball-de-96-nunca-aberta-vintage-iid-372679515

And In the past VPF had ones by the crim Foley ;)
But I can't see them anymore:
http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=5322&hl=
That's a Philips thread.
But if you're new to Virtual Pinball and never heard of VPF you might wanna browse :)

Andy

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
It's doubtful there is enough of a market for specialty controllers. This particular controller sounds a lot like my X-arcade controller (which has two buttons on the sides, for pinball games), which also connects between the keyboard and computer. I had to stop using it due to it's causing the keyboard to malfunction, typing double letters and other oddities, so I would avoid buying anything that connects in such a manner.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It's doubtful there is enough of a market for specialty controllers. This particular controller sounds a lot like my X-arcade controller (which has two buttons on the sides, for pinball games), which also connects between the keyboard and computer. I had to stop using it due to it's causing the keyboard to malfunction, typing double letters and other oddities, so I would avoid buying anything that connects in such a manner.

I have an X-arcade Tankstick hooked directly to my PC via USB. You don't need to connect it to a keyboard for it to work. You can simply have both plugged directly into the PC and both will be recognized as separate keyboards and can be used simultaneously.

The Tankstick is awesome for PC pinball, btw.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I have an X-arcade Tankstick hooked directly to my PC via USB. You don't need to connect it to a keyboard for it to work. You can simply have both plugged directly into the PC and both will be recognized as separate keyboards and can be used simultaneously.

The Tankstick is awesome for PC pinball, btw.

Mine doesn't have a USB connection on it, only the keyboard attachment. Is there an adapter / attachment you can buy to turn it USB compatible?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
with some plywood, some hole saws some paint, patience and an ICADE keyboard interface (along with some HAP controls buttons and switches) you can have a half decent and totally custom controller built to your liking...can even contain mercury switches or (if large enough) tilt bobs to register nudging

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Mine doesn't have a USB connection on it, only the keyboard attachment. Is there an adapter / attachment you can buy to turn it USB compatible?

I just bought mine a few months ago, so maybe the older ones didn't have USB? I'm not sure if they make an adaptor.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I just bought mine a few months ago, so maybe the older ones didn't have USB? I'm not sure if they make an adaptor.

I checked the website. New controllers replace the keyboard attachment with a USB port, but first-generation ones (like I have) have the keyboard bypass, which is useless, since most keyboards (including mine) no longer use that type of connection. They do have an adapter, and at $30.99 it's quite pricey, but if it means making my bricked controller usable again, I think it may be worth it.
BTW, that tank stick looks awesome!

B344

May 11, 2012
That Philips Virtual Pinball relic aside, there actually already is a specialized pinball controller for PC. It's called the Pinball Wizard Controller, by Nanotech Entertainment:
http://www.ntekgaming.com/pinball-wizard.php

It's been around for about 3 years now, I believe. I don't have one myself, and while the nudge control is certainly cool, $300 is a bit rich for me, for what it is. I've got some DIY plans for a much simpler setup, so I'll probably stick with that. The option is out there for people, though. I hope that they make it compatible with TPA!

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
That Philips Virtual Pinball relic aside, there actually already is a specialized pinball controller for PC. It's called the Pinball Wizard Controller, by Nanotech Entertainment:
http://www.ntekgaming.com/pinball-wizard.php........

Oi! What's with your first post slagging off my 'relic' ? ;) LOL
e23b64d3.jpg

The one you mention:
7d35d522.jpg

Is the other one I did:
....And In the past VPF had ones by the crim Foley ;)
But I can't see them anymore...

Mr David R Foley was involved in both Multipin and Pinball Wizard controller:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F44Ni3klD7I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's some info on his misdeeds:
David R Foley story
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24691

Last edited:

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Gotta clarify that I really don't own a Philips 'relic' LOL

But gotta agree the Tankstick looks awesome!
9aa9606f.jpg

Andy

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
X-arcade makes a single player version, but I don't think it has the pinball buttons on the sides.....plus the trackball is great to have because it works as a mouse.....and the width of the fullsize Tankstick is nice for pinball too. I play Pro Pinball and VP with it all the time.

Last edited:

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Trakball as mouse? Sacrilege - There's more than one MM.....

MARBLE MADNESS!!!
and Crystal Castles
Centipede
Et al :)

And surely you'd want twin sticks for Robotron/Smash TV! :)
If I ever run across one at a good price down here I'll grab for sure.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Trakball as mouse? Sacrilege - There's more than one MM.....

MARBLE MADNESS!!!
and Crystal Castles
Centipede
Et al :)

And surely you'd want twin sticks for Robotron/Smash TV! :)
If I ever run across one at a good price down here I'll grab for sure.

Haha, exactly. The trackball is perfect for MAME bowling games too.......Simpsons Bowling, anyone? :)

Yeah man, you won't regret the purchase. I looooove my Tankstick. They have some nice sales on their website sometimes. I got mine for $20 off and free shipping this past holiday season.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
But they weigh like 10+ KG / 20+lbs no? ;)
Pretty sure shipping to NZ would be a KILLER LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.