A Dummies Guide for playing TPA on Steam. Also, I need controller help.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Greetings Fellow Forum Fans,

I am somewhat ignorant on what procedures I need accomplish to be able to play TPA on Steam with hand held controller in Windows 8.1. From what I've read in the PC forum, I can use an X-Box controller with the Steam version of TPA. I do have a basic knowledge how Steam works and an account under MontanaFrank.

I am not a video gamer, but a pinhead who loves real life pinball machines converted to video tables. I am able to buy an X-box controller with a 30 day return policy. I just need to know that I am correct to buy an X-Box controller and can ask all you fine forum to help me connect it to play TPA on 1, Nov.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main title of this thread is: " A Dummies Guide to Playing TPA on Steam".

Could a patient PAF fan please explain step-by-step what someone needs to do to be able to play TPA on Steam on Nov 1? There may be someone who reads this forum who needs this help. I am probably missing something that I need to do with Steam myself and any help would be appreciated.

Am I so antiquated that I am the only one not sure what to do with the PC release on Steam. Is there anyone who could brave enough to validate my ignorance?

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
I'll give it a quick shot...feel free anyone who knows I'm wrong to say so...

On the controller issue, I use an Xbox 360 compatible wired controller knock-off on my PC called a "Rock Candy" but I believe any 360 compliant controller will work. Just plug it in (get USB in case there's any other choices and a nice long cord!!!!). Almost all games seem to work just fine with the exception of the R2 and L2 buttons (which behave like throttles, not on/off). Most of the beta PC folks I've seen that have controllers are in fact using X360 compatibles

For steam in case you wanted a quick top down:

Now or then, go to www.steampowered.com and install the Steam Client.

Create a login if you've never done so before.
Once you have the Steam Client installed via Steam's website, it will act like a program that hides down in the task bar by the clock. You can right click or double click it to bring up most options. The STORE is where you'll find TPA when it's released. I do not know yet it's exact name to search for, hopefully someone in the know can fill in that blank for us.

Right now a search will reveal only "other companies" pinball games. When TPA or any other program shows up that you'd like to get, just click "Add to cart" in the store to go through a purchasing mechanism (very basic standard shopping cart stuff) that will add your new choice to the "Library". You will have various payment method options that should hopefully be pretty self-explanatory to complete.

From there you can right click, left click, or double click the desired program in the LIBRARY to launch, or right click the little icon down by the clock....PRESTO !!!! You can install Steam on as many PC's as you'd like and as long as you're only in one place using your account at one time, you're good to go!!
Hope that helps!!

Last edited:

DodgeRodge

Jan 17, 2013
Hi MontanaFrank,

First of all it's extremely cool that you are open minded and want to try this out. Here is a 5-bullet checklist for you:

1. I guess you want to play TPA on your Tablet (Android Asus TF300T)? If yes, it could be possible that your tablet will not be able to run TPA at all. But maybe your tablet can run the game - problem is we don't know this yet, because the developer of TPA has not announced the system requirements for the PC version. So until the game is released next week, nobody can say for sure if your tablet can run TPA or not (when the game is released, they will announce system requirements on the store page).

2. If you want to order the Xbox 360 controller, go for the wired XBox 360 controller (the wireless version needs an extra adapter to work on a PC/Tablet). Different manufacturers offer the controllers, but I'd recommend the original Microsoft one (like THIS ONE (click me). They are extremely solid and work without any issues. Just plug the USB cable in your Tablet, wait 30 seconds and it works.

3. Setting up Steam is simple (as described in the above post). Just go to www.steampowered.com and install the client (green thingy on the top right of the page). It is free of charge, so you can already try it out now.

4. Setting up a Steam account is as simple as setting up an account for this forum. You can do this directly on their website, and it is free of charge.

5. Once installed, the Steam program acts mainly as Store & Game library (with many other features such as friends list, etc). When you want to buy a game on Steam, you may need a credit card. Depending on your location there could be other payment methods (i am from Austria, so I don't know which payment mehtods work in Oregon). If you have no credit card, you can simply try to buy any random game, on checkout you can see which payment methods are offered.

Once TPA is released (and the system requirements are available) we should be able to tell you if your Tablet PC can handle TPA.

Hope this helps!
Greetings from Austria ;)

Edit: I just have seen that TPA is already available for Android tablets! I have only played the Xbox 360 & PS3 versions, but I guess this version is visually less appealing (and I have no idea how it plays on Android). But you can check out a free demo here: http://www.pinballarcade.com/GetItNow/
Be aware that the new PC version will look much better (and maybe even play better) than the android version.

Last edited:

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Greetings MontanaFrank I'm 56 and just bought my first computer a year ago and I had very little trouble getting my X--box wireless to work on my PC. After a year of owning the PC I still have a lot to learn. I can't tell you how I just followed directions. I just wanted you to know that if I could do it so can you. Good luck!

DodgeRodge

Jan 17, 2013
Hi Naildriver,

did you have to use a separate adapter for your Xbox controller?

@MontanaFrank: I just noticed that your tablet has no USB ports. You will need an adapter for your Asus tablet so you can use an USB device (which the Xbox 360 wired controller is).

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Hi Naildriver,

did you have to use a separate adapter for your Xbox controller?

@MontanaFrank: I just noticed that your tablet has no USB ports. You will need an adapter for your Asus tablet so you can use an USB device (which the Xbox 360 wired controller is).
No my toshiba PC has a USB port controler came with wireless receiver

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks everyone for your great insight on how to prepare myself for the PC release of TPA. I need to add pc to my devices.

I'm so ignorant about gaming and the equipment is that TPA is the only video gaming program I've used in years. The only other game programs I have on my tablet and my computer are solitaire games.

I had a bad experience with Pong in 1972 and any other video type game I played did not treated me any better. It was so much more expensive to play video games than a pinball machine. I'm just a relic from EM games of past and happy to have TPA available to play on my tablet and, hopefully, Nov 1 on my pc: that is if my integrated Intel 4000 chipset will work. Only time will tell, I am hopeful.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Is it playable without a specific controller?
i.e.: with keyboard or keyboard and mouse?

I want to make sure it will play well on my current system before I buy controllers or new system.

I realize that keyboard isn't optimal, but if it works, it will work long enough for me to get a good test in before going to the store.

:)

Thanks in advance.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
Is it playable without a specific controller?
i.e.: with keyboard or keyboard and mouse?

I want to make sure it will play well on my current system before I buy controllers or new system.

I realize that keyboard isn't optimal, but if it works, it will work long enough for me to get a good test in before going to the store.

:)

Thanks in advance.

yup, it works just fine with the classic keyboard setup. It's user definable, so you can make the left and right shift keys into flipper buttons, for example. The mouse control is also surprisingly nice, since it allows you to one-handedly control both flippers and frees up your other hand for full nudge control :cool:

Canadian365

Jun 26, 2012
I use my PS3 controller on my PC, using this http://www.motioninjoy.com/. Very stable haven't had any issues, and all functions of PS3 controller work. Read about it here http://www.hardcoreware.net/how-to-use-a-ps3-controller-in-windows-8/. Make sure you follow guidelines in link for it to work properly.
I've been using this to play PC Beta Pinballacrade on Steam with no issues! Works with various windows OS. You can also play most Steam games with PS3 controller support.

Members online

Members online