Lou Reed

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
My wife said someone I loved passed away. I told her not to tell me as I didn't want to ruin my Sunday. Well the cat is out of the bag now. Very sad to see this news. In college I got into Lou Reed when I first heard his New York album. I quickly started listening to all the Reed music I could get my hands on. As you can guess this quickly progressed into a Velvet Underground obsession. Even used Ride Into The Sun (Another View version) as our first dance at our wedding. Never met the man, but I am truly crushed by this news. This world needs artists and poets and we just lost one of the greats.

K

Korven

It's sad news indeed. Love Velvet Underground but never bothered to check out his solo stuff except Metal Machine.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
It's sad news indeed. Love Velvet Underground but never bothered to check out his solo stuff except Metal Machine.

Some of my favorites of his solo work (in case you wanted a recommendation): The Blue Mask, Berlin, New York, and Rock & Roll Animal (live album).

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
$(KGrHqF,!lUE2EDpwURBBNp4cPs9Yg~~_35.JPG

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
I never wanted to ruin anyone's day, it was something I wanted to share. I wasn't sure how many fans thier would be. (The end of another great adventure)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Not your fault. I was just delaying the inevitable. I would have been just as bummed whenever I found out.

You didn't ruin my day, Mother Nature and the cycle of life did. Nothing we can do about that. Better I hear about it from another fan. If I read it tomorrow at work and mentioned it to my coworkers, I would have gotten a solid round of "who's Lou Reed?". That would have been much tougher on me.

Last edited:

karl

May 10, 2012
Magic and Loss! Very sad news. Lou Reed was huge!

I love "New York", "Berlin", "Transformer", the incredible "Songs for Drella" and almost all of the Velvet Underground discography.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Not your fault. I was just delaying the inevitable. I would have been just as bummed whenever I found out.

You didn't ruin my day, Mother Nature and the cycle of life did. Nothing we can do about that. Better I hear about it from another fan. If I read it tomorrow at work and mentioned it to my coworkers, I would have gotten a solid round of "who's Lou Reed?". That would have been much tougher on me.

It's nice to be surrounded by friends here.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
A person named pinmods posted this on Pinside. Such a relevant Lou Reed story that I thought I'd move his post over here. Hope he doesn't mind.

Apparently, Lou Reed was a pinhead. This from one of his band mates:

"Lou and I bonded on tour late night playing pinball in hotel children's game rooms to the point that I carried $50 in quarters where ever we went. I was mandated to book hotels that had pinball machines. He was a master of the slanted table and each players turn could take 10 or 15 minutes while the other remained a spectator and we chatted about life."

Pretty cool.

Members online

Members online