Request Head tracking with the PS4 Eye

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I have been looking at videos of the BAM modification for Future Pinball and was wondering if head tracking is being considered for Pinball Arcade as the PS4 Eye is ideal for this?

Considering what they have been able to achieve with a single PS3 Eye (even better with two) it should be an order of magnitude more accurate with the PS4 Eye and its built-in dual cameras.

It might not be as good as playing in portrait with that function, but even in landscape head tracking would add a lot of realism to the game, especially if you were running it in stereoscopic 3D at the same time.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I'm all for any implementation of headtracking in any game so you have my vote.
I doubt they would though since barely anyone will even buy the PSeye. It would be more worthwhile for them to make Kinect work with it though (and it would probably work better), but I don't think they are making an X1 version of TPA are they?

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I don't even understand how head tracking would work in a video game. So I move my head up and my TV will be displaying the back glass of the pinball table? OK, that's fine except that I moved my head up. My TV didn't move so now I'm looking at the stairs behind my TV or the upstairs landing depending on how much I moved my head. I don't get it.

Ark Malmeida

Apr 3, 2012
I'm all for any implementation of headtracking in any game so you have my vote.
I doubt they would though since barely anyone will even buy the PSeye. It would be more worthwhile for them to make Kinect work with it though (and it would probably work better), but I don't think they are making an X1 version of TPA are they?

Bobby mentioned the Xbox one several times in the most recent TPA fans interview so I'm sure an Xbox One version is on its on the way eventually.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I don't even understand how head tracking would work in a video game. So I move my head up and my TV will be displaying the back glass of the pinball table? OK, that's fine except that I moved my head up. My TV didn't move so now I'm looking at the stairs behind my TV or the upstairs landing depending on how much I moved my head. I don't get it.

It wouldn't be done at a 1:1 ratio

ralfpaul

May 20, 2013
I have been looking at videos of the BAM modification for Future Pinball and was wondering if head tracking is being considered for Pinball Arcade as the PS4 Eye is ideal for this?

Considering what they have been able to achieve with a single PS3 Eye (even better with two) it should be an order of magnitude more accurate with the PS4 Eye and its built-in dual cameras.

It might not be as good as playing in portrait with that function, but even in landscape head tracking would add a lot of realism to the game, especially if you were running it in stereoscopic 3D at the same time.

Agree. In my opinion head tracking is a huge improvement. In standard FP the tables look liveless and flat. And BAM offers a lot of features that improve the 3D perspective, even without headtracking. So I hope that FS will also implement these features to the cab version of TPA.

Gesendet von meinem ST18i mit Tapatalk 2

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Hey, I'm all for this. I think this is the final step to give it the most realistic look you are likely to achieve with video pinball, short of holography.

The PS3Eye cam is said to be better than this demo setup because it has better tracking and less lag, so I imagine the PS4 cam will be even better still.

I'm sure someone is going to start using this cool feature on the PS4, why not Farsight?

DodgeRodge

Jan 17, 2013
Impressive 3D effect, really cool. :cool:
This effect alone would justify the purchase of a PS4 & TPA for me. No Joke!

And by the power of Grayskull, I need to play that table!

ralfpaul

May 20, 2013
Impressive 3D effect, really cool. :cool:
This effect alone would justify the purchase of a PS4 & TPA for me. No Joke!

And by the power of Grayskull, I need to play that table!

To get an impression how head tracking looks on TPA go to the Pro version /table exploration and move the table in different directions. The cam position is also changed slightly thus providing a more feel of depth. Watching this with one eye closed even underlines this effect. I tried it with AFM on my smart phone.

Gesendet von meinem ST18i mit Tapatalk 2

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Ah, so just my normal head movements while I play would move the camera? I think that would make me sick. No thanks.

Does looking out of the window make you sick? We are talking about simulating the real-life effect that as you move your head around you can look at things from a different angle. As long as the lag is low enough it shouldn't make you sick and from the videos I have seen of it on PC only few brief moments felt a little odd. If the PS4 camera is as low latency as the PS3 Eye then it should be VERY good indeed. The fact its two cameras now rather than one means it will track much better, I would even be willing to strap a bloody PS Move to my head to get this to work (although I think they probably wouldn't support that in a retail product).

My biggest gripe with TPA is not being able to make out what is written on the playfield. Head tracking would really help there as you will perceive the details easier if the image moves realistically as your head does. It could also mean if you lean forwards the image zooms in.

I really don't get why anyone would complain that there are more important things than this to work on. This is a feature, like stereoscopic 3D, that once implemented should take no additional work per-table as long as the tables are rendered properly in the first place. Plus, like stereoscopic 3D, anyone who doesn't want it can turn it off.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Does looking out of the window make you sick? We are talking about simulating the real-life effect that as you move your head around you can look at things from a different angle. As long as the lag is low enough it shouldn't make you sick and from the videos I have seen of it on PC only few brief moments felt a little odd. If the PS4 camera is as low latency as the PS3 Eye then it should be VERY good indeed. The fact its two cameras now rather than one means it will track much better, I would even be willing to strap a bloody PS Move to my head to get this to work (although I think they probably wouldn't support that in a retail product).

My biggest gripe with TPA is not being able to make out what is written on the playfield. Head tracking would really help there as you will perceive the details easier if the image moves realistically as your head does. It could also mean if you lean forwards the image zooms in.

I really don't get why anyone would complain that there are more important things than this to work on. This is a feature, like stereoscopic 3D, that once implemented should take no additional work per-table as long as the tables are rendered properly in the first place. Plus, like stereoscopic 3D, anyone who doesn't want it can turn it off.

There's a big difference between the two. There's a disconnect of associated movement when I move my head with head tracking on between the tv and what's going on around me in real life. The movement on the tv is going to be greater than the movement in real life at the same time in my living room. Whenever you have a disconnect between associated visualizations you have opportunity for the inner ear disturbance that I am commonly referring to as motion sickness.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
There are so many more important things to work on than this.

This is basically how I feel as well. Head tracking might be a fun addition, or at a minimum an interesting novelty, but it has to be pretty far down the priority list.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts