Request Valve Anti-Cheat System

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Punkbuster service is installed by default and required to be running at Steam startup methinks

Not that I'm a fan of PB necessarily but it does have some nice file checking features besides the usual. AFAIK it can sit right in the frame buffer too for nifty things like the old opengl32.dll one not that seeing through walls is much help in pinball ;)

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Punkbuster service is installed by default and required to be running at Steam startup methinks

Not that I'm a fan of PB necessarily but it does have some nice file checking features besides the usual. AFAIK it can sit right in the frame buffer too for nifty things like the old opengl32.dll one not that seeing through walls is much help in pinball ;)

No idea about punkbuster but steam running something or the other does literally nothing at all unless the game itself supports it. You can modify most games on steam without anything getting triggered anywhere.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013

Valve doesn't use punkbuster, they use VAC (valve anti cheat). Anyway, enabling anti cheats is probably not going to do much of anything as VAC is still pretty easy to bypass (public ones everywhere)

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
There's a service called "PnkBstrA" I believe so I just guessed Punkbuster.
I was streamlining bootup for gaming and noticed it and was like "Punkbuster.. I don't use that thing anymore".. turned it off..and presto..no steam...hmmm... re-enabled and steam loads ok again, no other changes

Edit: I looked in my laptop services just to confirm the spelling and it's not there, apparently it's some shadow from my former life as a gamer on the desktop PC.. sorry woops

Anyhow whatever it is, I'm strongly in favor of any measures they can implement... dumb as it is, somebody's going to come along and mess with it eventually :(

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
There's a service called "PnkBstrA" I believe so I just guessed Punkbuster.
I was streamlining bootup for gaming and noticed it and was like "Punkbuster.. I don't use that thing anymore".. turned it off..and presto..no steam...hmmm... re-enabled and steam loads ok again, no other changes

Edit: I looked in my laptop services just to confirm the spelling and it's not there, apparently it's some shadow from my former life as a gamer on the desktop PC.. sorry woops

Anyhow whatever it is, I'm strongly in favor of any measures they can implement... dumb as it is, somebody's going to come along and mess with it eventually :(

The pnkbstrA process starts when your OS boots as long as punkbuster is installed on your machine. If you have EVER played a game that uses punkbuster (lots of EA multiplayer games for instance) then you will see that service start.

Members online

Members online