Controllers? Keyboard? Configurable?

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
To either FS, or our good friends who were beta testers on PC.
  1. Which controllers did it directly support? (Xbox, PS3, etc)
  2. Were the controller buttons configurable?
  3. How about with keyboard?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Also, I plan to add support for non XInput (Old DX8 Input) controllers soon. I'll need it for the Virtua Pin Pinball Cabinet.

Canadian365

Jun 26, 2012
I use my PS3 controller on my PC, using this http://www.motioninjoy.com/. Very stable haven't had any issues, and all functions of PS3 controller work. Read about it here http://www.hardcoreware.net/how-to-u...-in-windows-8/. Make sure you follow guidelines in link for it to work properly.
I've been using this to play PC Beta Pinballacrade on Steam with no issues! Works with various windows OS. You can also play most Steam games with PS3 controller support.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Dinput isn't enough! We demand game port support!

2060593-851ac22e_d61912a9_cant-tell-if-serious.jpeg

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I have a feeling the gameport would actually be useful for something like this:
8KMatP6.jpg

No idea, though. I suspect it probably just maps to keyboard keys or something.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I have a feeling the gameport would actually be useful for something like this:
8KMatP6.jpg

No idea, though. I suspect it probably just maps to keyboard keys or something.

That would be pretty cool, but only if you can ram those ears to nudge.

Septarius

Jun 26, 2013
@Mike Reitmeyer
When implementing DInput8 if you can, test it on Windows 8/8.1 . There is an issue I know about from another game linked below where it will crash faulting on DInput8.dll. I am not sure if this is because of the game itself or something with DInput8 in Windows 8.
The only way it was solved that I know about was copying a 32bit DInput8.dll from Windows 7 into the game directory so it would use that one instead of the Windows 8 native version.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/234710/discussions/0/810923021586996835/#c810923021599735535

Anyway very excited about the PinCab talk and can't wait to buy one and play this with it.

Rainman

Oct 26, 2013
One could always use a little nifty program joy2key or xpadder which simulate keys using gamepad. The whole process is just a matter of remapping keys in xpadder ;)

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
  1. Yep, you can re-map everything, so you could potentially use any custom controller.

Actually, not quite! The Xbox 360 controller's "a button", "b button" and "left and right bumpers" remain semi-hard coded. It's hard to explain, but even if you map these buttons to other commands, they will still behave in their standard inputs *in addition to* whatever you've remapped them to do. This was really confusing, when I configured my Xbox 360 Street Fighter IV Arcade Joystick with the PC beta (0.030).

If you use something like "joy2key" it's a different story, of course, since you're mapping dinput commands to ascii keyboard mappings. I'm also weary though, if this introduces lag (?)

Rainman

Oct 26, 2013
If you use something like "joy2key" it's a different story, of course, since you're mapping dinput commands to ascii keyboard mappings. I'm also weary though, if this introduces lag (?)

Well, I've been using this method for the past couple of years to play MAME shmups ... since the shmups require ultra low (lag) response, I'm sure I'd notice the lag until now. I plan to use this method until further joystick support is added.

DodgeRodge

Jan 17, 2013
I also use Xpadder to play Pro Pinball on my PC (Big Race USA) with the Xbox 360 controller. This way i can have the exact same controls for TPA and the good old Pro Pinball. Xpadder works perfectly fine with absolutely no input lag. Plus it is VERY easy to configure.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.