Request Make sure that Pinball Arcade videos are shareable using "Share" button

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
According to Sony, the SHARE function on the DS4 controller will be left up to the publisher to decide weather it will work or not. In certain situations they may not want the video to be shareable (like to prevent major game spoilers).

I think sharing videos of pinball would be an excellent use of the functionality to show tips and strategies for various tables and I hope Farsight has this all set to go at launch.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
According to Sony, the SHARE function on the DS4 controller will be left up to the publisher to decide weather it will work or not. In certain situations they may not want the video to be shareable (like to prevent major game spoilers).

I think sharing videos of pinball would be an excellent use of the functionality to show tips and strategies for various tables and I hope Farsight has this all set to go at launch.

I'm hoping that if they don't mind video sharing that they don't have to do anything to make it work. FarSight's resources are spread too thin to expect them to be rolling out any special features at this time.

I wish the video sharing worked with YouTube, though. Facebook, bleh!

I've seen Sony quoted as saying that it won't support video to YouTube at launch. That kind of suggests that they aren't ruling it out as a possible future feature.

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012

The way I read it game sharing is on by default and the publisher has to actively disable it. And Sony already confirmed that youtube sharing will be added at a later stage.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Probably because pressing it is an all or nothing process - it captures the last 15 minutes and uploads that directly - there's no editing of shared videos before upload. And since free Youtube only has a 10 minute limit...

Of course, publishers can disable Share all they want - Sony announced that gameplay will not enable HDCP at all, so you can use one of the many HDMI capture cards out there to capture gameplay without Share restrictions (the PS3 does not support it - it enables HDCP on gameplay so capturing required component video, which the PS4 lacks). Also the way to upload to youtube now and add your own commentary track and all that other stuff.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Is it a coincidence? The PS4 captures the last 15 minutes of game play. YouTube allows up to 15 minutes upload with their free accounts. I think there will be more video share options on the PS4 in the not too distant future.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, I've seen some that are over 2 hours on Youtube.

The default limit was raised to 15 minutes probably 2 years ago, or almost that long ago. I know there's an option to enable longer videos in the settings, but I'm not sure what is needed for that since I never bothered looking into it. Maybe it requires the use of ad support.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Probably because pressing it is an all or nothing process - it captures the last 15 minutes and uploads that directly - there's no editing of shared videos before upload. And since free Youtube only has a 10 minute limit...

Of course, publishers can disable Share all they want - Sony announced that gameplay will not enable HDCP at all, so you can use one of the many HDMI capture cards out there to capture gameplay without Share restrictions (the PS3 does not support it - it enables HDCP on gameplay so capturing required component video, which the PS4 lacks). Also the way to upload to youtube now and add your own commentary track and all that other stuff.

Actually:
The PS4 system will allow the use of external HDMI-based capture devices following an upcoming system software update – please follow PlayStation.Blog and PlayStation.com for news following the launch of the PS4 system.
So it seems HDCP is enabled at launch.

However, you should be able to use the live gameplay streaming and then capture it back to your PC that way. I wonder if the bitrate is lower than the 15 minutes uploads though? (I hope not, I have 30Mbit upload and am not afraid to use it) There was also no mention of live streaming being disabled, so it might be that only those 15 minute clips are disabled as it would be pretty horrible for the live stream to suddenly cut out.

Its certainly not going to be as high quality as using a capture card, but its useful.

Last edited:

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
The default limit was raised to 15 minutes probably 2 years ago, or almost that long ago. I know there's an option to enable longer videos in the settings, but I'm not sure what is needed for that since I never bothered looking into it. Maybe it requires the use of ad support.

Dunno. I guess it has to do with the amount of time you've had your account for, or the amount of videos uploaded, or anything like that, since early last year that's when it would let me upload vids of any length.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

According to the PS4 Ultimate FAQ, you can edit your video prior to sharing.

Can users edit the recorded gameplay video on PS4?
Yes, users can trim the video in the Share button interface. Currently, users will be able to specify a starting and ending point of the video in order to trim it to their liking.

Now if they will just add the ability to upload to YouTube it was be a pretty cool feature.

I have a feeling they are purposely holding back on features to have some "ammo" for when Microsoft starts adding features. It is pretty absurd that you can't do simple things that were common place on the PS3, such as play your MP3 music from the PS3 hdd, but hopefully that will be added sooner than later too.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I dunno, I suspect the video and music sharing stuff comes down more to licensing issues (ie $$$$) than trying to keep features in their pocket--and I'd think they'd want to roll out as feature-rich as possible, anyway.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
My opinion is that they put the things that it didn't really need to play games on the back burner in order to get the system ready in time. There were a lot of features added to the PS3 in post launch updates. I don't think Sony didn't think of those things until after launch. They just needed more time to develop.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I dunno, I suspect the video and music sharing stuff comes down more to licensing issues (ie $$$$) than trying to keep features in their pocket--and I'd think they'd want to roll out as feature-rich as possible, anyway.

Actually Sony owns the DNLA protocol, so to not include it is strange.

I still think it's Sony trying to keep their lousy Music Unlimited cloud music service alive by selling accounts.
It was in last place below even the free services as far as customer satisfaction. Even reducing the price by 75% last year they are still not doing well.

The fact that they just announced today that everyone who purchases a PS4 will also receive a free trial to Music Unlimited further proves it.

A console designed to sit next to an audio video setup that can't even play your music collection is really bizarre IMO(and thousands of others). Especially since the PS3 could do it from day one.

There are also games that rely on using your music in order to function correctly. Beat Hazard Ultra being one of them. It's an awesome twin stick shooter that builds levels based on the songs you pick.

I'll be really disappointed if sequel doesn't get a release on PSN because of Sony's greedy shortcomings. I already spoke with the developer and he's pretty annoyed by it.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

I still think it's Sony trying to keep their lousy Music Unlimited cloud music service alive by selling accounts.
It was in last place below even the free services as far as customer satisfaction. Even reducing the price by 75% last year they are still not doing well.

The fact that they just announced today that everyone who purchases a PS4 will also receive a free trial to Music Unlimited further proves it.

A console designed to sit next to an audio video setup that can't even play your music collection is really bizarre IMO(and thousands of others). Especially since the PS3 could do it from day one.

There are also games that rely on using your music in order to function correctly. Beat Hazard Ultra being one of them. It's an awesome twin stick shooter that builds levels based on the songs you pick.

I'll be really disappointed if sequel doesn't get a release on PSN because of Sony's greedy shortcomings. I already spoke with the developer and he's pretty annoyed by it.

The second patch is going to have mp3 support. To me that means that they aren't trying to push music unlimited by holding back mp3 support. If that was the case then they wouldn't add mp3 support at all.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012

They already said it will be added soon and now Yoshida has been doing interviews this week and has said they were surprised at the reaction for the lack of DLNA and MP3 support because they were focusing on getting gaming stuff ready first. They felt that's what the customers really wanted, and that has been their approach. They never had the intention of not including it. Both of these consoles are going to ship without all planned features. It's going to take time for a lot of things to get implemented.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
They added it because Microsoft said they supported it the day after the FAQ came out. Nothing more.

Of course, Microsoft has to support it as soundtrack replacement has been a popular and widely used feature dating back to the original Xbox (but apparently a little used feature on PS3 from what my friend told me).

Which is why it's good to have both PS4 and Xbox One around. They keep each other honest. It's how the Xbox 180 came about (Sony keeping Microsoft honest).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts