Missing the old room from PHOF: Williams Collection

morenoquinteiro

Oct 16, 2013
Is it just me who misses that arcade environment that we had in PHOF: Williams Collection and Gottlieb Collection? I know that using simple menus is much more practical, but it was charming to pretend to be in a real arcade and blah blah blah. I felt it was a real place that I could go and relax a bit, just around the corner.

pinball4--article_image.jpg

Here it is.

(But I definetely don't miss that guy saying "Taxi... Gorrrgarrr... Space Shuttle!" ;) )

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Even though it was a nice touch I hated having to go past all ground floor tables before you could go upstairs.. ;)

A more user-friendly arcade would be cool though.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I miss it too. I have said many times I wish Farsight would include more extra content besides just the tables. I started a thread once with an idea to have a complete story mode with NPC's, unlockable locations, tables in varying degrees of repair. Imagine a free roaming arcade where you can bet on games and play tournaments with computer controlled or online opponents.

N

netizen

I don't get the request for this.

Aren't there enough sim games that have nothing to do with actually playing pinball out there?
Whereas TPA has enough critics that adding some Sims clone to the menu UI will just be enough to make it so cluttered that people will finally abandon it.

Yo dawg!! I heard you like games, so we designed a game where you have to play a game before you can play the game you want to game!!
But wait, if you spend 100 gems you can have a professional designer come and help organize your arcade now, and you don't have to wait 90 minutes. Buy Gems now?

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I don't get the request for this.

Aren't there enough sim games that have nothing to do with actually playing pinball out there?
Whereas TPA has enough critics that adding some Sims clone to the menu UI will just be enough to make it so cluttered that people will finally abandon it.

Yo dawg!! I heard you like games, so we designed a game where you have to play a game before you can play the game you want to game!!
But wait, if you spend 100 gems you can have a professional designer come and help organize your arcade now, and you don't have to wait 90 minutes. Buy Gems now?
Where did I say it had nothing to do with pinball? I'm talking about having a story mode option, not just superfluous stuff. You could still have the game just as it is.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I think a free roaming arcade populated with opponents and challenges would be awesome.

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Challenges? Yes please! I loved the credits you had to earn in WPHOF to unlock new tables. The tricky part is to get the balance right so as to attract casual gamers ("I don't have time to unlock all these tables, I want them now!") and having to grind to get to new stuff (Gran Turismo anyone?).

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
With the amount of new tables that get added to TPA, I think that trying to maintain the virtual arcade setting would be very difficult.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
I liked the nostalgia factor of having an arcade from the days of my youth. (born in the 60's :eek:)

However, as FS continues to release new machines every month, the arcade would have to grow as well. This would require significant development resources to maintain, and navigating this arcade would become a cumbersome aggravation for most of us.

Perhaps at some point a custom arcade add-on could be included or purchased? Something that allowed players to design their own arcade rooms, where they could modify the layout and place any pinball machines and other 3D items exactly where they wanted them to be. A personally designed arcade might be kind of cool, but I could take it or leave it in favor of more content in the form of new pinball machines.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I only miss the music from phof.

I think it's a waste of time to do such a expensive menu.
There are important things on the "to do" list.

Last edited:

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I liked having narrated instructions and background music. PHOF had excellent presentation.

I think that the menus could use an overhaul, but the 3D arcade wouldn't be ideal for TPA. I'm not a fan of the current table selection screen. They've gotten to the point where a linear selection just isn't convenient. Some categories/sorting options would be nice.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Maybe if they run out of things to do over at farsight, however, there are more important issues to adress at the moment, like bugs, physics, performance, table art issues, resolution issues, online head to head, tournaments, xbox and tons of other stuff.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
Relatedly, I love how the various arcade machines were just really other games, like Cyber clearly being Bally Midway's TRON arcade game.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Don't miss the old arcade room interface a bit, sorry...

Streamlined menu for table choices is best IMHO.

Timelord ...

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Haha yeah. While I don't particularly love it, the rest were so horrible that I disabled all the songs from the soundtrack except from that one and one or two other.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Consider that Farsight already has pretty significant timetable issues with their games (no offense to the devs, the game is great but the release schedule is tenuous) and adding entire new features like these can only exacerbate the problem. While it would be nice, I hope farsight focuses more on the releases for the end of season two and the next gen consoles before working on new features

kristian

Nov 6, 2013
I agree. First make the tables top class and THEN start polishing the details. Like adding authentic emulation to the solid state tables. Scripting simply doesn't cut it... if the emulation is lacking so is the overall playing experience (see Black Knight's case).

I'm pretty happy how the menus are now. No need to add extra gimmicks (imho). The demo scrolling over the tables really bring up the details and they look magnificent.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts