Graphics: PS3 vs. PC

FishNeedles

Nov 6, 2013
Ok, first off, I've been looking forward to this game coming to PC more than any other platform. Saying that, I've been doing a comparison of the PS3 vs. PC, and the PS3 just looks better. The lighting is the biggest difference in favor of PS3 and anti-aliasing seems to be on par. This is with all settings at max on my PC, which runs it without a hitch. The PC version looks kinda flat in comparison. Not a good sense of depth. I'm not sure why this would be.

Has anyone else with the PC & PS3 versions done a comparison?

Update: Ok, for some reason it didn't save my post-processing and ball reflections settings, so that contributed to the lighting issues. However, after correcting that, the aliasing is atrocious. The lighting still does not appear to be quite on par with the PS3 version either. :\

Last edited:

LMA

Jun 14, 2013
Didn't know the PS3 could manage an antialiasing of 16 with transparency super sampling.
The PC version gets DX11 dynamic lighting and shadows with HDR in a few months. That will also sort out that over done bloom effect that's trying to fake specular HDR.

Last edited:

FishNeedles

Nov 6, 2013
Then there are some graphical issues with the PC version. AA 16 sure doesn't look much better than what is done on the PS3, even with PP turned off to avoid the graphic glitches.

Edit: Been reading up some and found that it will be supporting DX11 in the future. That should make huge improvements.

Last edited:

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Looking good is subjective and apparently partially due to hardware since I don't get any of the jaggies with PP on, but the PC version already looks somewhat better than the PS3 one as far as I'm concerned.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
Have you tried forcing a different anti-aliasing method on your video card drivers? I find it quite puzzling that you'd have everything on max and are getting bad jaggies.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
If you have an nvidia card that's recent try turning on flaw in the video card settings and turn off msaa in the configuration utility

mortuus

Aug 7, 2012
Ok, first off, I've been looking forward to this game coming to PC more than any other platform. Saying that, I've been doing a comparison of the PS3 vs. PC, and the PS3 just looks better. The lighting is the biggest difference in favor of PS3 and anti-aliasing seems to be on par. This is with all settings at max on my PC, which runs it without a hitch. The PC version looks kinda flat in comparison. Not a good sense of depth. I'm not sure why this would be.

Has anyone else with the PC & PS3 versions done a comparison?

Update: Ok, for some reason it didn't save my post-processing and ball reflections settings, so that contributed to the lighting issues. However, after correcting that, the aliasing is atrocious. The lighting still does not appear to be quite on par with the PS3 version either. :\

Does the ps3 version look like down below? i foudn that example pic and quickly took a shoot.. if it is then ps3 is better if the lightning below is actual..

PS3
PS3-Tales.jpg

PC
35hqrh4.jpg

Cem Nahit Köne

Jul 30, 2013
I think PC edition post processing is doing a good job, Bloom and lights look good, also when they upgrade to DX11 lights will be much better in deferred lighting setup.

PC has also some kind of baked Ambient Occlusion on Table and Ball has Real Time Ambient Occlusion.

I don't know if PS3 has these abilities. I didn't mention how you can tweak graphics with custom setups in PC. (Like transparency aa, anisotropic filtering etc..)

night

May 18, 2012
The colors and lighting on the playfield looks better on the PC, but all the rest it's PS3 that steals the show.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Does the ps3 version look like down below? i foudn that example pic and quickly took a shoot.. if it is then ps3 is better if the lightning below is actual..
Yes, the PS3 version looks like this (ToTAN is one of the best looking tables... mainly because it's in the core pack and can be patched, I guess). Others tables don't look so good (too dark and "flat"... maybe the megapatch will fix this :hope: ). For what I see of the PC version, it looks, in my opinion, better on tables like MB for example.

> PS3 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2BwS7P3I2Y&t=08m05s (set the video to 720p)

> PC > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j91-AFKyxU&t=04m40s

And on this PS3 ToTAN screenshot, I'm not sure about the lighter areas on the playfield (center playfield and left outlane for example). I have to check, but I remember that the playflied is uniformly dark.

Last edited:

mortuus

Aug 7, 2012
nobody that can answer wether or not the pic of the ps3 is representing how it looks? even the genie looks better on the ps3 the textures and overall its a bit darker which makes it look better.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
nobody that can answer wether or not the pic of the ps3 is representing how it looks? even the genie looks better on the ps3 the textures and overall its a bit darker which makes it look better.

It's from the promotional materials and seems shopped. TOTAN doesn't look like that on *my* PS3, but also keep in mind that every TV / screen has a different color calibration. You can really get some great "night mode" looks, if you play around with your TV settings for a while :cool:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Yes, the PS3 version looks like this (ToTAN is one of the best looking tables... mainly because it's in the core pack and can be patched, I guess). Others tables don't look so good (too dark and "flat"... maybe the megapatch will fix this :hope: )

That's exactly it.

I remember watching the core tables on the PS3 go from very good to great.
This table is a work of art and I'm hoping the mega patch takes the other tables to a similar level of quality.

I also can't wait to see what this looks like on a PS4.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
TOTAN doesn't look like that on *my* PS3, but also keep in mind that every TV / screen has a different color calibration. You can really get some great "night mode" looks, if you play around with your TV settings for a while :cool:

Yep, it depends of the depth of the TV settings. I use this to set my TV (color, constrast, definition, etc) > http://www.ancor-k.com/conseil-et-Mires.htm

I choose RGB Full on the PS3 (dark colors are... darker.^^). And finally, I check and test the settings with TPA and Uncharted 3 (which has high color contrast scenes).

I've come very very close to this ToTAN screenshot (I'm pretty sure it's an in-game screenshot, maybe with a little tweak of the color levels, regarding the lighter areas on the playfield).

I remember watching the core tables on the PS3 go from very good to great.
This table is a work of art and I'm hoping the mega patch takes the other tables to a similar level of quality.

Crossed fingers, buddy!

Last edited:

Gozer

Jun 10, 2013
Yep, it depends of the depth of the TV settings. I use this to set my TV (color, constrast, definition, etc) > http://www.ancor-k.com/conseil-et-Mires.htm

I choose RGB Full on the PS3 (dark colors are... darker.^^). And finally, I check and test the settings with TPA and Uncharted 3 (which has high color contrast scenes).

I've come very very close to this ToTAN screenshot (I'm almost sure it's an in-game screenshot, maybe with a little tweak of the color levels).

Crossed fingers, buddy!

Do you have your tv set up to accept RGB full?

If not you are crushing blacks.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Do you have your tv set up to accept RGB full?

If not you are crushing blacks.

With RGB limited, I have a strange "white film" on the screen (as if there was too much luminosity) using the PS3. However, the TV display settings are OK (using the calibrating image posted above, on a USB stick, with my Philips blu-ray player on the same HDMI output).

When I choose RGB full, then it's OK on the PS3 with the same calibrating image (same result than the blu-ray player output) and in-game.

I don't know if my TV supports RGB full (need to do this test), but the image is perfect when it's activated (I see the 21 hues from black to white, no merge for the darkest hues). There's for sure some black crush, but as the constrast is far better, all colors seems more "vibrant".

Weird, but it works! :p

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.