A couple questions regarding Steam and the Farsight login system

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
1) I know that currently within Steam, TPA is set up as an exclusive in-app purchase situation, but that they are planning to offer the Season Packs through the external Steam front-end eventually. I'd much rather purchase them outside the game itself, if for no other reason than to be more confident that Steam "recorded" my purchases. Should I wait until that option is available, or will Steam retroactively "credit" my account with those packs? In other words, will it be able to tell from the TPA software itself what I own, or is it completely outside of Steam's purview?

2) Is there any reason I need to set up a Farsight login? I actually think I have one for the iPad version but I've long since forgotten it. I don't care at all about global leaderboards because I'm never going to be even close to competitive on those, and I plan to play most of these tables in Pro mode with adjusted settings anyway. So is there any other reason I need to have a Farsight login other than leaderboards? Purchases aren't tied to this login, are they?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Gozer

Jun 10, 2013
1) I purchased season 1 & 2 pro packs in game and the purchases show up on your account under the "game transaction" tab. I would assume that would mean the DLC is tied to your steam ID. Someone on the steam forums downloaded TPA on a separate computer and said that all his purchases were available there as well.

2) The farsight login is for online leaderboards and for those who backed the kickstater tables to get access to them. You don't need a farsight account to purchase anything.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
OK, so it sounds like Steam is still keeping track of all this as usual, but they just want to keep it off the store front to avoid consumer confusion regarding Pro versions/upgrades, etc. It's especially helpful to know somebody downloaded it on a different computer and still had access; that's exactly what I was hoping for. I just didn't want to drop $90 on all this stuff without being reasonably certain that Steam would keep track of it for me if I change computers or whatnot.

Thanks for the helpful info!

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Your FarSight login is also used for tables obtained outside of Steam.

E.g., if you did a Kickstarter, your tables are tied to your Farsight account and NOT to your Steam account. If you simply redownload it off Steam, you will NOT get your Kickstarter tables UNLESS you login to your Farsight account.

Flotilla

Nov 6, 2013
Your FarSight login is also used for tables obtained outside of Steam.

E.g., if you did a Kickstarter, your tables are tied to your Farsight account and NOT to your Steam account. If you simply redownload it off Steam, you will NOT get your Kickstarter tables UNLESS you login to your Farsight account.

That's pretty lame, since lots of people such as myself don't keep track of accounts external to Steam and don't like the idea of not having all their DLC centralized on one platform.

I hope that Farsight issues Steam DLC keys for future kickstarted cabinets.

DodgeRodge

Jan 17, 2013
@ Epsilon: I can confirm that. On my gaming PC I purchased Season 1 and the T2 Table. Then I downloaded TPA on my Laptop and there I have access to all tables which I bought on the other computer. Works perfectly fine.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
That's pretty lame, since lots of people such as myself don't keep track of accounts external to Steam and don't like the idea of not having all their DLC centralized on one platform.

I hope that Farsight issues Steam DLC keys for future kickstarted cabinets.

I don't think they have much choice about that. Apparently Valve told them they can't sell everything separately in the store front, probably because the complexity of the Table Packs vs. Individual Tables vs. Season Packs with or without Pro Upgrades would likely cause them a lot of headaches from a customer service standpoint. Their system probably isn't equipped to handle flagging things on multiple levels like that. Steam is generally very good about preventing people from buying things they already have access to, but TPA is probably more complex than what they have infrastructure for internally in that regard.

I could be wrong about this, but I strongly suspect that they can't generate Steam keys for things that can't be purchased in the Steam store front. Maybe they can, but I'd imagine it would be a tremendous hassle.

I don't really care about the Kickstarter tables not being tied to Steam, personally. I figure if I want a table badly enough to throw them extra money to fund it, it's not a huge deal just to buy the table again in-game so Steam keeps track of it. I'm probably just going to buy all the season packs as they become available anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts