Android - Request Need an option to close/exit app properly

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I would like to see FarSight implement an option in the menu to properly close/exit app instead of having to force close it so that it's not constantly running in the background.

N

Nik Barbour

Yeah, i'd second that!
Currently doing backup, and using an app killer to end dosn't feel too polished!

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Sounds good, most apps seem to access an exit screen when the user hits the back button on the main menu, that is what we are planning on going for. Although technically if you back out from the main menu it should exit all of the game threads. Android has a unique feature where even when an app is exited, it maintains the memory in cache for some time so that if you go back to it the entry is seamless, but its possible I missed something.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Thanks for looking into this Ryan. Apps that have a proper exit function do not give me the option to force close in my phone's app manager which means the app is already closed. TPA on the other hand still gives me this option which tells me it's still running in the background to some degree.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
+1 atm I always force quit as well. into what kind of state does the app actually go now, when you press the back button in the main menu? because it doesn't show up on my task manager then, but it still seems to come out of a "hibernated" state when I restart it. also, clearing ram makes the app bootup as if it had been force closed...

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
It's what Android considers a destroyed state where the app no longer has focus, but for a while the os maintains its ram in a cached state so that is why you are seeing that. At that point we are not running, but Android does this for multitasking purposes

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
That's weird cause other apps I have that I'm able to actually close are not in a cached state. When I reopen them, they boot up with the title screen as they should. If I don't reopen TPA for an hour or two, the app is force closed automatically when I open it, then I'm able to start it up normally with the title screen present.

Extrema22

Feb 25, 2012
I've also never seen this cached state at other apps before but it doesn't seem to drain the battery so I'm ok with it! Although a proper exit function would seem more polished.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts