PC - Request Pay twice for different platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
I bought about every game on Android and actually don't like them that much because of the nudging not working on my tablet (buttons to nudge are too far up, if I try that I definitely loose my ball, and shake to nudge is just tilting my game only by playing it) so I really was kinda happy they were going to release the game for PC, but why do I have to pay all over for all the games?? I think they should let you be able to play on multiple platforms, just link the games you bought to your account and not to a specific platform. Hell they at least could give a dramatic discount for if you already bought the game on another platform!
Any one agree or have a different opinion??

priested

Nov 7, 2013
I don't think you will get too far with this request. While I'm sure everyone would love for Farsight to do what you are requesting, I don't really blame Farsight for charging separately for different platforms. I find it strange that they get such a hard time for doing this yet I don't know of any other game developer that allows one purchase for XBox, PS3, PC, etc. Do you? If you buy Call of Duty for XBox, do you expect to get the PS3 and Wii version free? Even if this were possible, it isn't exactly a good business model for a developer. Also, I'm sure there is a lot of work involved in porting the game to other platforms.

Now paying for the tables twice for the SAME platform - like once for normal PC and then again for PC with cabinet features - now there I would agree with you. That would not be right.

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I bought about every game on Android and actually don't like them that much because of the nudging not working on my tablet (buttons to nudge are too far up, if I try that I definitely loose my ball, and shake to nudge is just tilting my game only by playing it) so I really was kinda happy they were going to release the game for PC, but why do I have to pay all over for all the games?? I think they should let you be able to play on multiple platforms, just link the games you bought to your account and not to a specific platform. Hell they at least could give a dramatic discount for if you already bought the game on another platform!
Any one agree or have a different opinion??

Arjan - You can move the distance of the nudge zones in Android.

Within a table, at the attract screen where the camera pans around, press 'table menu', then pick 'options', scroll right to the bottom of this menu using the large silver arrow buttons on the right of the menu.
Find where it says 'show touch scheme' and toggle this to say 'on'.
Now find the menu item 'Touch Scheme:' and toggle through all options A thr'o F noting how the zones change on screen.
na2udasa.jpg

Touch scheme 'E' is your best to try. This has the smallest flipper zone with the shortest reach to nudges. It's my preferred scheme too for portrait.
Note- in this same menu, you can also invert nudging if you prefer to switch which side of the screen you touch for a certain nudge direction.
You can also change the position of special buttons (BK magnasaves / STTNG trigger / T2 trigger etc...) in this same menu. To do save you need to be in a table which has one of these buttons, then cycle through the menu option 'button position' (it has 20 variants).
3yvybaby.jpg

If you wait a few weeks, there is even rumours of Moga Pro Controller support for non-rooted Android devices so if these come good, you might want to buy a Moga Pro, but I'd hold fire until it happens.

I can't see you getting anywhere with the multi platform argument.
I understand why you're asking, but it isn't going to realistically happen. Hope this helps you enjoy Android!

Last edited:

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
Baron thanks a lot, I did not know this at all! didn't even know it had more options than the ones visible...:confused: great that it's possible to change the triggers in T2 and STTNG also! :D

A game controller would be perfect, I already tried with a PS3 gamepad on my sony xperia but did not get it working unfortunately, I don't understand why the tablet needs to be rooted to use a program to map the buttons, if it would be allowed without I guess they would sell a lot more games on tablets...

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
So you buy a new game for example CoD Ghosts or BF4 for your ps3 and you want the xbox/pc version for free? Strange world.

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
not really, but I have bought programs and games before that you could exchange platforms, if the pc version was available before I would have bought it for PC and not Android, I bought a tablet just to be able to play this game, I never use it for anything else because I always have my laptop with me, I don't know how gaming is on all the consoles out there because I'm not interested, maybe that's why I was thinking a bit too easy about this
Nevertheless, if a person bought the game on 1 console, why not be able to play it on another console?? I don't see the problem, he can't play it on the 2 consoles at the same time I guess??

N

netizen

not really, but I have bought programs and games before that you could exchange platforms, if the pc version was available before I would have bought it for PC and not Android, I bought a tablet just to be able to play this game, I never use it for anything else because I always have my laptop with me, I don't know how gaming is on all the consoles out there because I'm not interested, maybe that's why I was thinking a bit too easy about this
Nevertheless, if a person bought the game on 1 console, why not be able to play it on another console?? I don't see the problem, he can't play it on the 2 consoles at the same time I guess??

Generally cross platform games are only Windows/Mac/Linux not PS3/Xbox/Android/iOS/Windows/OSX/Kindle/Ouya/...

Do you not understand the difference here? The first three are all computer based, they share the same hardware
The latter is well it's a mess in some ways, there is very little in common between the systems, each platform has its high and low point, and each one has very little in common due to the way it's ecosystem has been monetized and closed off in many ways. If yiu can't see that then </discussion>

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
ok guess I'm just off here, not much of a gamer except for pinball.... :cool:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
ok guess I'm just off here, not much of a gamer except for pinball.... :cool:

I'm the same - I only play Pinball.

Keep watching the Android forum for a post which will probably have pack 20 beta in the title and will be started by the Android dev Ryan Routon. Fingers crossed it'll have controller support next time.
The Moga Pro is a nice controller, not quite as good a quality as a PS3 Sixaxis, but it is good, with 2 analogue sticks & shoulder buttons and triggers.
If you need a hand with installing a beta app (or apk file) I'll talk you through it. Just PM me.

Edit - some other options for you to check out...
Pick options at the screen at first start (shown below)
avubebep.jpg

Then try switching 'mip mapping' off, and 'textures' to high
puqedyry.jpg

If your device can handle it, and has the options, this will give you the best visuals on Android.

Last edited:

Just Some Guy

Jun 18, 2012
I don't think you will get too far with this request. While I'm sure everyone would love for Farsight to do what you are requesting, I don't really blame Farsight for charging separately for different platforms. I find it strange that they get such a hard time for doing this yet I don't know of any other game developer that allows one purchase for XBox, PS3, PC, etc. Do you? If you buy Call of Duty for XBox, do you expect to get the PS3 and Wii version free? Even if this were possible, it isn't exactly a good business model for a developer. Also, I'm sure there is a lot of work involved in porting the game to other platforms.

Now paying for the tables twice for the SAME platform - like once for normal PC and then again for PC with cabinet features - now there I would agree with you. That would not be right.
When I buy on Steam, I get the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of a game.
When I had a PS3, I bought Portal 2 and it came with a Steam copy of the game. (Win/Mac/Linux)
More and more PS3 games come with a Vita copy of the game, and Sony let you upgrade your PS3 games to the PS4 versions.

If I buy a Kindle book, I can access it on anything; Kindle hardware, any tablet, any PC/Mac.
If I buy music, I'm not restricted in where I can play it.
Farsight are giving away the engine, and selling the tables. The platform you're running them on should be irrelevant.

I bought most of Season 1 for my iPad, and all of Season 1 and 2 along with an iPad for my father.
I'd really like to play the tables I've bought on my PC, because I no longer own an iPad myself. (just wasn't working out for me as a tablet)

I thought the whole reason Farsight were pushing you to using their stupid account system on iOS/Kickstarter, and creating a version of The Pinball Arcade for everything was so that your tables would be linked to the account and you would have access to them anywhere.
It seems to be running the exact same table assets on the PC version as the iPad versions, so the main work that was actually done was porting their engine over.

It's simple greed at work here.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
Wishful thinking, of course, but it would be an awesome gesture if I could transfer my no-longer-downloadable Xbox 360 tables to Steam. I wouldn't blink an eye if it meant removing whatever access I had to them for 360, which doesn't matter anyway because if something happens to my 360, I won't be able to download them again anyway. I know it would probably be difficult to verify who had what tables on 360, just daydreaming.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
If I buy music, I'm not restricted in where I can play it.

The staff at 'Jungle Jim's' play centre get really upset when you play Limp Bizkit on speaker phone in there.
They didn't see it as an expansion of the kids vocabulary. (This didn't really happen BTW).

Seriously though - you make a good and interesting argument.

Can't see it changing anything at a Farsight though, as the refunds to Pinwiz alone would be in line with the American national debt figure.
http://www.usdebtclock.org

Sexton Hardcastle

Jun 5, 2013
I just don't see how it's greed to charge customers for tables on one version (Android) and then charge them for a completely different version which also had its own costs to create (PC). I don't remember feeling ripped off when I bought DVD versions of movies I already owned on VHS. For my part, I wasn't interested in buying tables twice, so I bought just a couple on Android and then played the free table of the month until the Steam version came out.

I could, maybe, see it as greedy if FS didn't have to do any work when they put out TPA on Steam, but were re-charging people who had already bought tables on other versions, but it wasn't the case. FS spent good money and time with a team of people dedicated to releasing this game on PC, and I don't see why it's unfair for them to recoup development costs.

Just Some Guy

Jun 18, 2012
I just don't see how it's greed to charge customers for tables on one version (Android) and then charge them for a completely different version which also had its own costs to create (PC). I don't remember feeling ripped off when I bought DVD versions of movies I already owned on VHS. For my part, I wasn't interested in buying tables twice, so I bought just a couple on Android and then played the free table of the month until the Steam version came out.
Ah but you're thinking in terms of old physical media. On iTunes if I bought a film in 720p, I can now download the 1080p version for free.

I bought 128K AAC files and I now get 256K downloads for free. (previously they charged a nominal fee for this)

Even with physical media, I was able to trade in my HD-DVDs and get Blu-ray versions.
I could, maybe, see it as greedy if FS didn't have to do any work when they put out TPA on Steam, but were re-charging people who had already bought tables on other versions, but it wasn't the case. FS spent good money and time with a team of people dedicated to releasing this game on PC, and I don't see why it's unfair for them to recoup development costs.
But the work they've done seems to be on the engine - which they give away for free - rather than the tables. (though I did actually buy the Pinball Arcade app on my iPad)
As far as I can tell, the tables are almost identical to the iOS ones.

N

netizen

As far as I can tell, the tables are almost identical to the iOS ones.
Except for the lighting, the flipper physics and handling, the table physics in some small ways, the bumper action on tables that had weak ones like firepower.
Yup other than all that they are exactly the same.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, if your realized just how much work they've put into the PC version specifically, you'd change your tune a bit. If they didn't have the extra revenue from PC sales to depend upon, there would be no PC version in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts