Ball Physics Are Somewhat Floaty And The Table Plays A Little Too Slow

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
The ball physics on Cirqus Voltaire seem floaty to the point where the ball seems to lack weight when rolling back down towards the flippers after a weak shot. Also, the overall speed of the table is somewhat slower than the three different tables I played this past weekend, which all played at pretty much the same speed. This was evident (and questioned) on your YouTube gameplay video of CV, but I dismissed it assuming the 30 fps limit on YouTube videos was the culprit of the seemingly slow ball speed. Since you port tables across all platforms and devices, I'm going to assume the ball physics are going to be exactly the same across the board. The ball physics on CV are definitely the worst of the 8 currently released tables and need immediate attention since the other 7 tables play so well. I hope Bobby can get this corrected sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The ball physics on Cirqus Voltaire seem floaty to the point where the ball seems to lack weight when rolling back down towards the flippers after a weak shot. Also, the overall speed of the table is somewhat slower than the three different tables I played this past weekend, which all played at pretty much the same speed.
I'm assuming the "three different tables" you played were three different real CVs? Cirqus Voltaire is not a fast table to begin with, so if the TPA version is slower than the real thing, that's going to be one sluggish ball.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm assuming the "three different tables" you played were three different real CVs? Cirqus Voltaire is not a fast table to begin with, so if the TPA version is slower than the real thing, that's going to be one sluggish ball.

Yes they were real...played one at Pinballz, one at Tinsletown and one at the Alamo Drafthouse. All of the tables were a bit faster than the TPA version.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I wonder if the ball speed and floaty feeling are directly related? Do you think if the table speed was increased a bit would that maybe cure the floatiness too?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I wonder if the ball speed and floaty feeling are directly related? Do you think if the table speed was increased a bit would that maybe cure the floatiness too?

Increasing the speed a bit may remedy the floaty feel of the ball movement, especially when the ball is rolling back down the table after a weak shot.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
The speed seems to be a slight bit faster with the HUD turned off (which isn't necessary for this table due to the back DMD). The real table may be slightly faster, but it didn't feel off to me. The 360 version looks to be closer in speed to the arcade, but it still feels close to the original and far from terrible physics. I hope this gets nipped in the bud when the 360 version releases. I have played a real table and I don't feel these physics are terrible at all. I want this to be as close as possible, but I also don't want FarSight to "fix" the speed to be faster than it should be.

Moon Jump

Apr 19, 2012
One problem I have with this is that the Boom Balloon kicks like a normal pop bumper. I haven't played it in a while but I remember the Boom Balloon kicking a lot harder then a normal pop bumper. I used to play the hell out of CV years ago on PinMAME and it also kicked a lot harder. It's also weird playing it with a red light in the high wire ramp. Most of the CV's I played were either blue or green.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Maybe it's just because my iPad is fresh out of the box and hasn't been loaded down with tons of apps yet, but my CV is playing pretty damn quickly. Doesn't seem floaty at all, and weak ramp shots are returning at what I'd consider a reasonable speed.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Maybe it's just because my iPad is fresh out of the box and hasn't been loaded down with tons of apps yet, but my CV is playing pretty damn quickly. Doesn't seem floaty at all, and weak ramp shots are returning at what I'd consider a reasonable speed.

I can't wait to gauge the ball physics on this table when it drops on the Xbox 360. If I shoot a weak shot up the playfield without hitting any ramps or targets, the ball return to the flippers is a bit too slow IMO.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I agree that it is a little slow and floaty but nothing too bad. And yea, it will be interesting to see how the console versions are. Honestly, I'm very eager to see how all four of the new tables play on the console compared to the touch devices. Oh, and that red ramp lighting's gotta go. Blue, or even green all the way.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I vote for user selectable.
Light blue (like an arc of electricity) was the one I had on my CV and always looked amazing. Red really doesn't do Neon Multiball any favours.

I'm not sure the iOS version is playing significantly slower than the CV tables I have played over the years. One thing that is wrong is that the outlanes almost never drain on iOS. You should be losing a lot more balls down the sides.

There is definitely something wrong with the difficulty setting though. Without access to the operator menus I can't tell what that is. I've never had to defeat a fourth Ringmaster and get Ringmaster Special yet. I can't tell if that is because the All Ringmasters Defeated marvel is getting lit too soon (which may be operator selectable) or because Spot Marvel is getting lit too frequently and lighting All Ringmasters Defeated for me.

I think it's the latter because the two things that light Spot Marvel are the right inlane (which you hit more frequently as the ball almost never drains in the outlanes) and the Menagerie. The Menagerie ball is far too bouncy and hyperactive. I think it might be triggering the Big Ball Rebound switch at the side of the Menagerie Ball cage far too easily and therefore lighting Spot Marvel too often.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Light blue (like an arc of electricity) was the one I had on my CV and always looked amazing. Red really doesn't do Neon Multiball any favours.

I'm not sure the iOS version is playing significantly slower than the CV tables I have played over the years. One thing that is wrong is that the outlanes almost never drain on iOS. You should be losing a lot more balls down the sides.

There is definitely something wrong with the difficulty setting though. Without access to the operator menus I can't tell what that is. I've never had to defeat a fourth Ringmaster and get Ringmaster Special yet. I can't tell if that is because the All Ringmasters Defeated marvel is getting lit too soon (which may be operator selectable) or because Spot Marvel is getting lit too frequently and lighting All Ringmasters Defeated for me.

I think it's the latter because the two things that light Spot Marvel are the right inlane (which you hit more frequently as the ball almost never drains in the outlanes) and the Menagerie. The Menagerie ball is far too bouncy and hyperactive. I think it might be triggering the Big Ball Rebound switch at the side of the Menagerie Ball cage far too easily and therefore lighting Spot Marvel too often.

They've adjusted the outlanes in the next update, so be prepared for more drains there at least.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
They've adjusted the outlanes in the next update, so be prepared for more drains there at least.
Oh good. ;) Any word on whether the Acrobat Spin loop from right to left and round the back of the DMD has been fixed? The current version always drains SDTM, which I'm pretty certain it shouldn't do.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Oh... that's....... great?
Well, it's accurate at least!

CV isn't a big outlane drain monster like ST:TNG and you can nudge the ball about quite a bit if you need to. Fixing the Acrobat Spin loop would even out the fairness in my opinion. :)

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Well, it's accurate at least!

CV isn't a big outlane drain monster like ST:TNG and you can nudge the ball about quite a bit if you need to. Fixing the Acrobat Spin loop would even out the fairness in my opinion. :)

Boy, you ain't kiddin'. Both, the Spin loop and Acrobat loop are deadly right now.

night

May 18, 2012
The ball movement on the Ringmaster seems very optimistic, but it does not behave like this on a real table. On a real table, when the Ringmaster starts to move it's head, the ball falls off, but in the Pinball Arcade version it's spinning the ball (I admit, it looks very cool) a couple of rounds before it falls off. But is it realistic? I don't think it is possible the way it is right now.. and after all, it's a pinball simulation of the real thing, right?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.