Pinball Arcade Portrait Mode Launcher

Sir Cheddar

Jun 7, 2012
I put together a small AHK-Script for launching Pinball Arcade in portrait mode. It rotates the screen, starts PBA and rotates the screen back after you are finished.

Setup:
1) Get the launcher here, extract anywhere.
2) Get either Display Changer or iRotate. Install in default directory. iRotate seems to work better with XP, I prefer Display Changer.
3) Use PBA-config.exe to set the screen resolution for Pinball Arcade.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
And the PC crowd starts working it's magic!

I just need to figure out how to rotate my monitor without having a stand :confused:

JTenebrous

Nov 6, 2013
I just need to figure out how to rotate my monitor without having a stand :confused:

Check out this thread I posted on the Pinball FX2 for Steam forum a few months ago where I show how I use an inexpensive electric guitar stand to support my monitor in portrait mode. I use this every day, works a treat, and sets up/goes down in less than 30 seconds. Just throwing an option out there...

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I put together a small AHK-Script for launching Pinball Arcade in portrait mode. It rotates the screen, starts PBA and rotates the screen back after you are finished.

Setup:
2) Get either Display Changer or iRotate. Install in default directory. iRotate seems to work better with XP, I prefer Display Changer.

Thanks Sir Cheddar. Will give it a go tomorrow.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
And the PC crowd starts working it's magic!

Here is how I rotated/leaned my monitor without a stand :) : http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...ature-with-TPA?p=111416&viewfull=1#post111416

I have only done that with my very light LED montior, and not sure I can safely do that with the much heavier LCD monitor next to it. Although someone in one of the threads showed a picture using a blanket underneath the monitor. That probably would be better for my heavier monitor.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Bug testing info: This only works if you have TPA installed in the same directory as Steam. If you have it installed on a different drive, ye be out of luck :(

All good, but just FYI :)

Retro Invaders

Aug 16, 2013

Setup:

Thanks! It works just fine!

Sir Cheddar

Jun 7, 2012
Bug testing info: This only works if you have TPA installed in the same directory as Steam. If you have it installed on a different drive, ye be out of luck :(

All good, but just FYI :)
Uh. Yeah. Completely forgot about that possibility :(
However, the only thing affected should be PBA-config, PBAstarter should work fine since it uses steam.exe with the applaunch parameter to start PBA.

Can you try if that works?

Note: Thinking of it, the script has another issue. It will not work on XP if the system language isn't English. English system + any MUI should be ok.
Vista and up aren't affected - any language will work.

dada8787

Nov 11, 2013
it does not work for me.
where do I install Display Changer ? I don't understand what is "default directory: :) Is it same directory where is TPA or does not matter?

Sir Cheddar

Jun 7, 2012
it does not work for me.
where do I install Display Changer ? I don't understand what is "default directory: :) Is it same directory where is TPA or does not matter?
Default directory of Display Changer -> the directory you get suggested when installing Display Changer.

The script looks for dccmd.exe in "%ProgramFiles%\12noon Display Changer" on Windows x86, in "%ProgramFiles% (x86)\12noon Display Changer" on Windows x64 and then in the file search path. So if you just copy dccmd.exe to c:\windows it should work too.
If Display Changer doesn't seem to work for everybody, you can try to use iRotate too. The script tries to run iRotate first, then Display Changer

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.