Why are some of the tables pink?

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Definitely not a rant post so bear with me on this.

I've purchased all tables on iOS, Android, Xbox 360 (ones that were available) and now purchased both season packs on the PC version.

Something's definitely going wrong with the lighting on the PC version on certain tables.

Some tables look absolutely stunning (Space Shuttle for example) whereas some tables are completely spoiled by the pinkish hue, which I believe is a by product of the lighting on the PC version.

As shown below - first picture is the iOS version of T2, 2nd picture is the PC version.

Then look at Centaur, again first picture is the iOS version, 2nd picture is the PC version.

I may be assuming way too much here, but on tables where the PC lighting engine actually makes the table look worse (i.e. not a good representation of the tables real life colours) could the lighting be turned off? I'm sure most people would prefer the correct colour with ever so slightly worse graphics.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Oh, the pink. You coming off the mobile versions, it's gonna be very pronounced! We've been complaining about it for some time. I can tell by the Centaur pic you've got post processing turned on. If you turn it off, it helps a little. Not much, but a little. Nobody has ever gottten an answer to why the pink exists, and it's not on every table, so the mystery goes on.

I think it has something to do the the lighting engine not interpreting colors correctly. With post processing on, at table launch, look at the front of the cabinets. Some of them are positively glowing despite the fact that they don't have lights or reflective tape on the front of them! You can see it on the aprons too. A universal algorithm is obviously being applied that doesn't differentiate non lit from actually lit surfaces. CC with post on has this yellow nuclear glow on the left side plastics despite no light being there, as an example. I think it's this same type of thing that pastes the pink on some of these tables.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
If it's any consolation, the forthcoming PS4/PC-DirectX 11 versions do not seem to have the pink. Compare the PS3 and PS4 screenshots of ST:TNG, for example.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys, will try turning off post processing, see if it makes a difference.
Such a shame - other then the pink this is probably best version yet of TPA (before PS4!)
Especially the sound, so much better then the mobile versions.

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Make sure you have your monitor calibrated correctly, your iOS device and your PC certainly have different color biases. Heck every time I get a new monitor, be it for me or someone else, I always have to fiddle with the RGB settings to get them to accurately display color.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
I saw something fairly recently about this with a response from FarSight. It could have been in Facebook cause I can't find it in our forum. Someone asked if they were having a problem with their own hardware, as there was so much pink in Star Trek Next Generation. If I recall, FS responded that the problem was not that with that person's equipment. And that a fix was planned for STNG, but the expert FS worked with was very busy. Or something like that. I have tried, but I can't find that post again with a web search.

N

netizen

I saw something fairly recently about this with a response from FarSight. It could have been in Facebook cause I can't find it in our forum. Someone asked if they were having a problem with their own hardware, as there was so much pink in Star Trek Next Generation. If I recall, FS responded that the problem was not that with that person's equipment. And that a fix was planned for STNG, but the expert FS worked with was very busy. Or something like that. I have tried, but I can't find that post again with a web search.

don't quote me on this, but I think that might have been the Jeff and Chris Barcade Interview with Bobby King :/

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Netizen, Thank you! I just started wondering if that's were I had heard it! As using a web search can find just about anything but that. Regardless of where it was, I am glad you recall something about this too from FS, so I know I did not imagine it. :)

Last edited:
N

netizen

I know they covered a bunch of stuff, but I am not totally certain of they covered "The Pink". However, as the questions came from the forum it seems likely that this would be something to discuss. Most other interviews are more promotional where as the PAF interviews seem more informal, if you know what I know.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
After reading about the pink hue for months in the discussion of the PS3 version and the pc beta testing, I got to experience it when I got "Blue the Beast" up and running at 1920x1200. The pink hue really doesn't bother me, but will be happy when FarSight addresses this problem in PS4 and the new DX-11 update for the computer.

I am just happy to see TPA looking "Crystal-Clear" to me compared to my Android tablet. I also enjoy having controller support and the more control it gives me. For me the pink hue is just a little distraction. I know a lot of you have different opinions, but I am just happy to play pinball.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
After reading about the pink hue for months in the discussion of the PS3 version and the pc beta testing, I got to experience it when I got "Blue the Beast" up and running at 1920x1200. The pink hue really doesn't bother me, but will be happy when FarSight addresses this problem in PS4 and the new DX-11 update for the computer.

I am just happy to see TPA looking "Crystal-Clear" to me compared to my Android tablet. I also enjoy having controller support and the more control it gives me. For me the pink hue is just a little distraction. I know a lot of you have different opinions, but I am just happy to play pinball.

Frank, with or witout pink hue, I hope you were able to get TPA working in Portrait mode with that flip monitor you posted that you were given. In my case, I am liking my 23inch monitor (which is laying on it's side) when played in portrait, about as well as my 46in TV that has to be in landscape. That extra table detail in portrait mode is really nice, and with a monitor I can sit closer than with the tv. (The exception is Fun House that currently has camera issues in portrait.)

Last edited:

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
If it's any consolation, the forthcoming PS4/PC-DirectX 11 versions do not seem to have the pink. Compare the PS3 and PS4 screenshots of ST:TNG, for example.
does this require new hardware ? What if your current hardware doesnt have a directx 11 card ? the pink hue does not bother me anyhow. and its only a couple tables most don't have it.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Frank, with or witout pink hue, I hope you were able to get TPA working in Portrait mode with that flip monitor you posted that you were given. In my case, I am liking my 23inch monitor (which is laying on it's side) when played in portrait, about as well as my 46in TV that has to be in landscape. That extra table detail in portrait mode is really nice, and with a monitor I can sit closer than with the tv. (The exception is Fun House that currently has camera issues in portrait.)

It looks and plays great in portrait mode. Since I have a 23 inch monitor, I have been playing more landscape because of the bug in entering in-game hi-score initials. I really look forward to the new update where that will be taken care of. Landscape mode is fine for the moment since I can see more of the table than I ever could with my Android tablet.

I am glad everything is working well for you too.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
... I have been playing more landscape because of the bug in entering in-game hi-score initials.

If that bug is the same problem I had reported, here is my workaround I had later posted (using continue button instad of back button): http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...omething-wrong?p=114885&viewfull=1#post114885
If it's a problem when you hit the score limit on a demo table, here is a work around Ark Malmeida posted: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...omething-wrong?p=115234&viewfull=1#post115234

Last edited:

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
I will give that a try seattlemark. It's been a couple of days since I played in portrait mode. If I remember right, I was having trouble even getting the right initials in the hi-score box. I may not play well, but I do get satisfaction just seeing my initials on the in-game hi-score boards.

I will report back after I give it a try. Didn't mean to get off-track of the title of this thread "Why are some tables pink".

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts