Bug Tables With More Than Two Flippers Have Uneven Or Loud Flipper Sounds

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
On BH the flipper sounds are too loud because the flipper sound samples are assigned to all four flippers when they should only be assigned to the main (bottom) two. This is the same for FH where the left flippers sound louder than the right flipper because the flipper sound samples are once again assigned to all three flippers instead of the main (bottom) two flippers. Ripley's also has the same problem, but with the right flippers sounding louder than the left flipper. FarSight, can you please correct this issue and keep this in mind for future tables that have more than two flippers.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
PW, I'm curious why only the two main flippers should have sound? Any time a flipper moves, it should have sound, no matter where it is on the table, eh? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
PW, I'm curious why only the two main flippers should have sound? Any time a flipper moves, it should have sound, no matter where it is on the table, eh? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

Since the upper flippers flip with the main flippers, you only need to assign the flipper sound to the two main flippers. Assigning flipper sounds to both lower and upper flippers, the sound is magnified x2 making them sound louder than they should be since the game is playing one sound on top of the other.

The only time you need to assign flipper sounds to the upper flippers is if they flip independently from the lower main flippers.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Since the upper flippers flip with the main flippers, you only need to assign the flipper sound to the two main flippers. Assigning flipper sounds to both lower and upper flippers, the sound is magnified x2 making them sound louder than they should be since the game is playing one sound on top of the other.

The only time you need to assign flipper sounds to the upper flippers is if they flip independently from the lower main flippers.

Each flipper is still being fired by a solenoid and flipper mechanism which will create a sound at each flipper. Thus the sound should come from each flipper and the side with more flippers should have a more intense sound. Maybe the upper flipper could have a slightly more quiet sound due to distance from the player, but it still needs to make a sound none the less.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm sure someone from FarSight will know what I'm getting at. I've scripted tables before which means assigning sound samples to the table mechanics and the current flipper sound samples are not accurately assigned which is why the left and right flipper sounds on TOM, FH and RBION are not consistent in volume and the flipper sounds on BH are twice as loud as they should be.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
I'm sure someone from FarSight will know what I'm getting at. I've scripted tables before which means assigning sound samples to the table mechanics and the current flipper sound samples are not accurately assigned which is why the left and right flipper sounds on TOM, FH and RBION are not consistent in volume.

I have done quite a bit of development in FP so I understand what you mean about assigning sound samples. Are you trying to say that the sounds samples are different for the left and right flippers?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Each flipper is still being fired by a solenoid and flipper mechanism which will create a sound at each flipper. Thus the sound should come from each flipper and the side with more flippers should have a more intense sound. Maybe the upper flipper could have a slightly more quiet sound due to distance from the player, but it still needs to make a sound none the less.

That's what I was thinking too. Two objects making the same sound should sound louder than only one object. It's like if two people are snapping their fingers, it's going to sound louder than if just one person is snapping.

I agree too that the upper flippers should probably be a bit quieter though since they're further away.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I have done quite a bit of development in FP so I understand what you mean about assigning sound samples. Are you trying to say that the sounds samples are different for the left and right flippers?

No, my method just keeps the sound from magnifying unrealistically. If you hit both flipper buttons on a real table to activate four flippers, they do not sound 4x as loud as activating only one flipper.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
No, my method just keeps the sound from magnifying unrealistically. If you hit both flipper buttons on a real table to activate four flippers, they do not sound 4x as loud as activating only one flipper.

It won't be 4x as loud but it will certainly be much louder than just one flipper as in the analogy presented by Jeff Strong. When I did anything with multiple flippers I had a different sound for the upper flippers which was a tad bit quieter than the sound I used for the lower flippers.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
You both bring up some good points, so maybe I'm wrong on this.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
No, I don't think you're wrong, PW. This is a good thread, imo, because I think you are right that the sound shouldn't be doubly amplified with two flippers on one side. I think it should at least be a little louder on that side though, but not as loud as it is now in TPA, so this is something that Farsight should definitely look into improving. Turtle's solution of having a quieter sound for upper flippers seems like a good idea to me.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Maybe FarSight should look into using Crush3d_Turtles' method of assigning quieter flipper sound samples to the upper flippers. This should remedy the volume discrepancy fairly well.

Sorry about that last part on my previous post. I've fixed it now. :)

Last edited:

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Eh? I find the flippers incredibly quiet as they are now. Much, much quieter than they are on a real machine, for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts