FX-Sound Quality is bad

Mr 230268

Jun 12, 2013
Hi,

I installed TPA on my cab und tried it in Portrait-Mode. TOM is my favorite. I wait for a real Cab-Version but the current version works also on a cab.

But from my point of view the fx-sound is really bad. VP for eaxample has much pressure. It sounds much clearer with mor bass and gives you more of the Feeling playing a real pinball. The fx-sound of TPA has the same qulaity as the samples of the Sound roms from the machines.

Are you all satisfied with the fx-sound?

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
The fx-sound of TPA has the same qulaity as the samples of the Sound roms from the machines.

Are you all satisfied with the fx-sound?

Then this isn't about the 'quality' as the quality is, in your opinion, exactly what it should sound like. You seem to be complaining about a lack of post processing being applied. ...You can set that in your sound card on your own. Or put big beefy world shaking speakers on your computer. This doesn't sound like something that is the responsibility of the devs to solve for you.

amxmodx

Nov 7, 2013
TPA is a re-creation of real pinball tables. The Pinball tables in Season Packs 1 and 2 you are playing right now are the real arcade pinball tables that existed IRL.

So yea. as what AshleyAshes said, this is what it should sound like, it has to be the same as the real pinball tables.

Hmmm Lord of the Rings by STERN INC. :D

Last edited:

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
One thing I have noticed is that the flipper sound effects (which obviously don't come from the ROM) seem pretty quiet/weak. I'm going to mess with the new volume sliders and see if I can turn them up, though.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
One thing I have noticed is that the flipper sound effects (which obviously don't come from the ROM) seem pretty quiet/weak. I'm going to mess with the new volume sliders and see if I can turn them up, though.

I would concede that those could use a much louder 'Whack!' of the solenoid. :(

Mr 230268

Jun 12, 2013

That's what I meant. The sound effects (fx sound) of the flippers and the other mechnical parts are very weak, no bass, no heigths, no pressure. I owned the Indiana Jones pinball from Wiliams around ten years. I know how they sound.

On an Ipad it is not important. But my Cab has a subwoofer and with i.e. Visual Pinball it sounds like a real pinball. With TPA the sound of the machine is like out of an old radio.

Last edited:

Mr 230268

Jun 12, 2013
Yesterday a new Version of TPA were published. Now you can adjust the volume. The ROM-Sound and the machine sound are one slider. So there is no way to make the fx sounds of the machine better. It seems to me that the quality of the sounds of the ROM are the same of the mechanical parts. Maybe they put everything in one emulated ROM and that explains why there is just one slider and the Quality is so weak.

Longi

May 30, 2013
yeah its a nice option with the different sliders now.
But i noticed a creaking sound if i turned the fx louder. :confused:

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
^^Yeap, i love being able to put the rom sound up more, i use a simple two speaker set up with subwoofer for that extra deep base, lovely on the ears.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Huh? Did I miss something or did you realise the two sliders one year after their existence :)
What we need is three sliders, with Rom and physical sounds separated.

Longi

May 30, 2013
We need a clear and crisp sound on all tables.
Some sounds very good (like TZ or HRC).
Some sounds low (like HS or ATM)
In my opinion they sounds all different :(
I cannot imagine that the real tables sounds like that (digital ones)!

Last edited:

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
We need a clear and crisp sound on all tables.
Some sounds very good (like TZ or HRC).
Some sounds low (like HS or ATM)
In my opinion they sounds all different :(
I cannot imagine that the real tables sounds like that (digital ones)!

High Speed does sound a little rough, but it was an early System 11 and from what I understand it does not use the better Yamaha music chip that was found in later products. Samples at that time also are lo-fi like all System 11 pins (I'm not sure what the equivalent familiar PCM rate is for these pins, the voice data in the real Sys11 pins seems to be NRZ encoded and I cannot Google the rate used, but it seems rather low). So it's probable that the lo-fi quality of the sounds is the real deal.

ATM sounds fine to me?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
If you use Google or the search function of this forum you will find out that sounds (especially before DCS era) have a lot of clipping and distortion, especially voices and stuff. This is normal and the same as on the real table, because it's in the rom.

First I needed earpads to play tables like white water or black knight, now I enjoy the pain.

Nesbro

Jul 18, 2014
I'm in major agreement with the people who say there needs to be better samples for the mechanical sounds. I mean, I'm not saying the sounds are too much of an issue. The game is perfectly playable with the current ones. I just think it would help truly recreate the actual feel of a table, especially when the jets nearly drown out everything else after the ball goes crazy. Also, the knocker needs to be just as awesomely startling as it is in person. Nothing makes a replay or extra ball better than scaring everyone in a 5 foot radius.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online