Is it my telly or the game?

timmiles

Apr 26, 2012
I am playing on a 32in TV, Xbox 360.

On ToM, ToTAN and Ripleys, it is simply impossible to read any of the writing on the table. I would think for example that I should be able to read the illusions on ToM or the Jewels on Tom, but nope. Nothing. It is a combination of wierd overly bright contrasty lighting and not seeming to be clear enough anyway or not a high enough resolution or something. I have tried fiddling with controls on my telly, but that hasn't helped.

I don't have a problem with Pinball FX2 where I can read everything on the table perfectly. I prefer TPA but it falls down on the graphics becasue of this and it means that I am shooting at lights squares etc that I can't read, but just know the meaning of instead through memory. It's a shame as the enjoyment of the tables suffers a bit.

The same problem isn't there on BH.

Do I just need a bigger or better telly?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
On ToM, ToTAN and Ripleys, it is simply impossible to read any of the writing on the table. I would think for example that I should be able to read the illusions on ToM or the Jewels on Tom, but nope. Nothing. It is a combination of wierd overly bright contrasty lighting and not seeming to be clear enough anyway or not a high enough resolution or something. I have tried fiddling with controls on my telly, but that hasn't helped.
The lighting on the 360 version of the core tables is scheduled to be upgraded in a future update (can't remember if it's the June or July one - check PinWiz's main information thread for details). Furthermore, any DLC tables will have the upgraded lighting "out of the box" when those tables become available.

In the meantime, if you go into the table instructions, the camera will usually zoom in on whatever part of the table is being discussed, and it should be pretty readable there.

timmiles

Apr 26, 2012
Ah OK, thanks

The lighting on the 360 version of the core tables is scheduled to be upgraded in a future update (can't remember if it's the June or July one - check PinWiz's main information thread for details). Furthermore, any DLC tables will have the upgraded lighting "out of the box" when those tables become available.

In the meantime, if you go into the table instructions, the camera will usually zoom in on whatever part of the table is being discussed, and it should be pretty readable there.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Doesn't even say if he has an HDTV.

Zen tables are made to be a videogame so they can make changes easily, while TPA tables have to recreate real life tables and don't have a whole lot of wiggle room to make things clearer.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012

There are 2 lighting improvements. The first one fixes the blown out textures which make everything impossible to read. That is going to be in the next update.

A 2nd improvement will be in an update after that to have the Xbox 360 match the post processing technique of the PS3. I'm not sure when exactly this will be out.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
There are 2 lighting improvements. The first one fixes the blown out textures which make everything impossible to read. That is going to be in the next update.

A 2nd improvement will be in an update after that to have the Xbox 360 match the post processing technique of the PS3. I'm not sure when exactly this will be out.
We're still speaking of just the four core tables, right? The DLC tables have their lighting improvements in place already?

timmiles

Apr 26, 2012
TPA runs at 1080p, so if your current setup does not support that, you will probably see some image degradation.

Switched my xbox to 1080i (my tv does not support 1080p I think), and it is a massive improvement (but still not as good as I am sure it could be. Still, the game just better, and hopefully the update will make it as good as its possible to be.

Loving it.

TheTenthEnemy

Apr 25, 2012
Was the Xbox 360 set to 720p or something lower? I find that 720p looks better than 1080i in most cases, you should compare both to see which looks better if you haven't already done so. Either way the image won't look as good as if it were in 1080p. It may not apply since I'm playing on the Mac (it has different lighting), but I can read almost everything on TOTAN, including all the important parts, so the resolution is there.

timmiles

Apr 26, 2012
Was the Xbox 360 set to 720p or something lower? I find that 720p looks better than 1080i in most cases, you should compare both to see which looks better if you haven't already done so. Either way the image won't look as good as if it were in 1080p. It may not apply since I'm playing on the Mac (it has different lighting), but I can read almost everything on TOTAN, including all the important parts, so the resolution is there.

It was set to 720p. I set it to 1080i and it jumped into focus. There is still a problem of glare blowing out some of the lights (particularly the illusions on ToM) but perhaps the update will fix that. Either way the game is awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.