Portrait Centering: Flippers or Playfield?

Should the Portrait Mode cameras be centered on the flippers or playfield?

• Flippers

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Playfield

Votes: 58 82.9%

• Total voters

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Vote!

Currently the Portrait Mode centers the camera on the flippers, but it's been suggested that it should be centered on the playfield instead. What do you think?

priested

Nov 7, 2013
Have expressed my views on this in other threads but I will explain here. I thought the whole point of this game was to simulate the experience of playing an actual table. When I play an actual table, I don't stand to the side so my body is centered with the flippers. I stand at the center of the table as I'm sure everyone does. To accurately simulate this experience, the clear choice would seem to be to simulate that view in this game.

The caveat I would throw in here is that while I believe that centering the playfield is preferable for portrait view, landscape is different. With landscape, the playfield is very short. Centering on the flippers probably makes sense in that case. In landscape, there are many compromises that have to made to make the game playable. With portrait, these compromises are unnecessary.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
In a proper cabinet view, the table edges will be snapped to the screen in a top down view, that alone should indicate the answer.
Centered to playfield

gypsyshred

Apr 12, 2012
Neither. I think you should add a free camera tool to calibrate to the angle of the monitor. This would also allow players to use whatever camera they want, for any other niche need. Plus, I'm sure some need footage could be captured, it'd have value beyond actual play.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
We'll I'm not sure but it does bring up a question for the next Bobby interview, " will we ever get the user configurable camera promised many moons ago in a previous interview?" . Zaccaria does it we'll, why not TPA?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I think playfield makes more sense, especially for portrait mode.

I think wider views are needed too, so that outlanes are more visible.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
They could save a lot of criticism of cameras every pack if they just gave us the ability to set it ourselves like Zaccaria. Then it would be down to us.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
They could save a lot of criticism of cameras every pack if they just gave us the ability to set it ourselves like Zaccaria. Then it would be down to us.

If you see my post a couple of posts up on Facebook FS said it's a lot of work. Maybe a dev can chime in to say if that is really the case.

JTenebrous

Nov 6, 2013
Well, playfield seems fairly obvious to me, but since currently no two given numerical values produces the exact same camera view on different tables, it's tough to imagine that one or the other will be sufficient for all preferences. Who says that there can only be 4 camera views anyhow? It's arbitrary, and I'm sure most people can count higher than 4 - I'll assume I'm not being too generous, ;). In other words, how about providing both options, eh? Also, I really, really, think we should be able to set our own camera views. I'm a full-time 3d guy by profession and adjusting a camera in a 3d environment is about as difficult as adjusting one in real life... in other words, not at all, even to the layperson. If I had to pick just one? - playfield. But c'mon, let's start treating this like a PC release, and implement some flexibility.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts