Cirqus Voltaire DMD

Joz

Sep 27, 2013
I played the PS4 demo (which only has Cirqus Voltaire) at Fry's Electronics, and I noticed right away that the on-table DMD looks pretty bad. The overlay DMD (in the corner [optional]) looks normal, but the on-table one doesn't have... well... it doesn't have the DOTS!... the individual pixels... and so the graphics are kind of, I don't know how to describe it, meshed low-res, ugly?

It looks as if the on-table DMD has an image scaling filter applied to it, resulting in a look akin to the middle or right ones of these graphics. I hope it doesn't look that way in the final version. I can only compare it to Xbox 360 and PC, which don't have this problem. Also looking up PS3 Voltaire on YouTube, that one doesn't appear to have the problem either. Anybody else that played it on PS4 notice this?

I don't know if it's an effect of the lighting somehow not being calibrated, because the bottom bumpers also were frequently very washed out (overlit) to where you couldn't see the art on them, so I thought it was maybe the TV, but they also had Knack to play on there and the lighting in that didn't look odd at all. This demo was at Fry's in Woodland Hills, CA, though I don't think the DMD issue has anything to do with lighting, but rather an image scaling filter being applied :(

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The early versions actually did have this problem until a filter was applied. They probably forgot the filter on the overlay or the angle of the DMD is causing issues with it.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I think I did see someone else say something like that about the DMD recently; at the time I thought they meant the HUD DMD (the one you toggle with Triangle), but maybe they were talking about the embedded one in CV.

Swiping from the High Resolution Screenshots thread, I think I see what you mean about the dots in the on-table DMD being fuzzed together:

PS4-CirqusVoltaire-1080p-vgo.jpg

And in PSNation's footage taken from a recent preview version send to them by FarSight, it's a little hard to tell since it's at the back of the table in compressed 720p video resolution, but it does look like the table DMD there might still have the over-filtered issue (CV starts at about 5:50 in their video below):

FarSight has said that another visual issue seen in PSNation's version--balls visible below the pit in Creature--was fixed for the official release version, so there's still a chance that this CV DMD thing might not be there when the game comes out.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The demo version that is out in the wild seems to be a few versions behind. The version FarSight has been taking to the shows looks good.

LamerDeluxe

May 8, 2013
I played the demo today and noticed the same thing. Also it felt like it was running in slow motion, not because of a bad framerate or anything, just much slower than what I'm used to.
The new lighting effects looked really great though.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I played the demo today and noticed the same thing. Also it felt like it was running in slow motion, not because of a bad framerate or anything, just much slower than what I'm used to.
The new lighting effects looked really great though.

The demo version that is out in the wild seems to be a few versions behind. The version FarSight has been taking to the shows looks good.
Ş

Joz

Sep 27, 2013
...but it does look like the table DMD there might still have the over-filtered issue (CV starts at about 5:50 in their video below):

FarSight has said that another visual issue seen in PSNation's version--balls visible below the pit in Creature--was fixed for the official release version, so there's still a chance that this CV DMD thing might not be there when the game comes out.

Been gone for a while, sorry. Yes, that YouTube video looks like the oddly filtered DMD. Now that it's actually out, what's the word?

Joz

Sep 27, 2013
It's the same.

That's lame. wtf? This is my favorite table in the game, I'm stuck on an Xbox 360, and now my desire to get the PS4 is diminished because the table DMD on a majorly newer console looks worse somehow. It seems like this company knows how to do only a few things right. I'm sorry, but this pisses me off.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts