Funhouse skill shot

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Anyone else find the Funhouse skill shot very unpredicatable? using the new plunger cam I've worked out how hard to hit it but its still very hit and miss. Sometimes the ball snags up haflway up the screen even if I hit it exactly the same as the last time I made the shot.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I wonder if it's like BoP where you just pull the plunger back all the way and hold it for a second and then let go.

Get's the skill shot every time on BoP, haven't played much Funhouse yet

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I wonder if it's like BoP where you just pull the plunger back all the way and hold it for a second and then let go.

Get's the skill shot every time on BoP, haven't played much Funhouse yet

That wasn't supposed to happen in Bop, was supposed to be fixed in this update. Has it?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Doesn't anyone else notice how hit or miss this skillshot can be? sometimes I can hit it a good few times in a row, then all of a sudden the ball can't even make it more than halfway up the table with no difference in input from me.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I've noticed this too, sometimes the ball will go left into the jet bumpers instead of following the path upwards. Sometimes the ball seems to rapidly shake left to right as it goes up the launcher lane.

Jay

May 19, 2012
Yeah, I've found it unpredictable too. It's strange how hitting Rudy, which is quite easy, can score a million quite often. But the hideout, which is quite difficult to hit, scores a measley 75,000 (except on your first shot).

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
On Android, I hit the Hideout pretty often coming in from the left, but for some reason I've never managed to make the skill shot off the plunger. It always either loops around or falls back.

Don't recall whether I ever got it in PHoF. I think for a long time I mistakenly thought the skill shot was a Rudy hit off the plunger.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Don't recall whether I ever got it in PHoF. I think for a long time I mistakenly thought the skill shot was a Rudy hit off the plunger.

Used to get it all the time on PHoF, but you could see the hideout real easy and just nudge it back there most of the time.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I was working on it last night and hitting the hideout on the PS3 version quite successfully and then I hit a while where I was only hitting it one out of 5 times. Tempermental is what it is! :D

Stormchild

Jun 24, 2012
FWIW, I've made the skill shot on Funhouse quite a few times (even multiple times in one game). It's hard, but certainly not impossible. The skill shot value is a lot higher than the hideout value (500k, 750k, etc. as opposed to just 75k for the hideout that occurs during play). It does take a lot of practise, and even when you know about how far to pull the plunger, it's pretty hard to hit it exactly right. Haven't played the real table (I know, this is crazy, but my city's only remaining pinball tables are at the freakin' airport of all places), so I don't know whether the skill shot is as hard to do on the real thing.

As for the hideout, it's pretty easy to hit that several times per ball.

bugeater

Jul 10, 2012
On the real table, I remember I could hit the skill shot every time. The problem with TPA is that the plunger is too wonky. It's even more frustrating with the steps. I'll get stuck there all the time trying to get it into Frenzy. It's either too soft and when you make an adjustment and pull a wee bit harder, its too strong.

Every skill shot on real tables where you have to control the plunger strength was easy especially if you played it enough times (Funhouse, Addams Family, etc).

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
The problem with TPA is that the plunger is too wonky.

On which platform are you playing? The plunger controls are one of the things that varies most wildly among the various platforms on which this title has been released. It works great on the Xbox 360 (and presumably the PS3 though I can't speak to that) with a fully analog control stick. Even better yet, I use FPS Freeks on all my right analog sticks, which offer even more precise control for plunging in TPA. On the touchscreen platforms, yeah, best of luck with the skill shots.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
The plunger on the PS3 is not good. It's wildly inconsistent in power and has too few gradations in power level. It feels very much digital instead of analog - with a big jump in power in the middle. Also, the plunger, at least on Funhouse, doesn't even pull back all the way, limiting your range of options.

Tabe

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I just spent literally an hour trying to make that damn skill shot! I wasn't even playing the table, just trying for the shot. I tried every angle, was measuring my pulls, everything. The difference between shooting too far and not far enough was less than 1 line +/- in the overhead view. Finally I shot for overshooting and then nudged the table before the ball went into the first turn and got it. That is just stupid hard, and I've played plenty of the real thing and never had that much trouble.

Oh, I'm playing on the PS3. I was going back for my standard goal set now that trophies are available. I'd just say in general between MM, FH, CV, and BoP, Funhouse was by far the most difficult of standard goals. The Rudy Gulp alone, which is completely random, killed me. Then I rose again and had the skill shot really kill me. I'm completely dead now. Satisfied?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Heres my trick. Shoot for hideot and nudge if you miss RESTART try again:) You'll finally get the right touch for power and nudge. GOAL COMPLETE

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Ya know what really killed me? While I was trying for all the standard goals, I finally did the 4 shot combo! I spent an entire night trying for that damn thing! I really hate how standard goal are separated from wizard. Really should just count if you hit it.

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
The Funhouse skill shot has always been difficult. I can never get into the hideout on a new ball. BUT I do know the exact positioning to use on the steps to get extra ball. Sometimes it takes a few tries. The reason I think is because the PS2/3 controller is not sensitive enough to do the shot properly, since the difference between a hit and a miss is like a millimeter or so difference in the analog joystick angle.

As far as fixing it, this is very simple! Add some sort of power meter on the screen. Maybe something like the graphic representation for pitching in baseball video games, or kicking in football (handegg) games.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts