Mac with PS3 controller

Freep

Jun 4, 2012
I would like to be. Any advice on how to get this working? It seems it's possible but I'm missing how.

Freep

Jun 4, 2012
Thanks Worf. I've got that part down; my controllers work on other games just not PA. I'm also hip to there being 3rd party apps to remap keyboard input to the controllers. I just wondered if there wasn't some in-game voodoo I was missing in order to get them to work. It thought I'd once read a few people had it already working.

Jul 2, 2012
Bumping up this thread, after having bought a PS3 controller for my Mac today, for this very purpose. Setting it up for the first time wasn't the most straight-forward thing in the world, but the end result is well worth it: playing TPA with the controller is awesome with less button lag (evident with a keyboard) and precise nudging using the left analog stick. The symbol buttons also conveniently change settings like camera angle, which I imagine works the same on the PS3 console.

It works so fantastically in-game that I'd like the entire Pinball Arcade user interface to be equipped with PS3 navigation.

It is so annoying having to reach my trackpad to start games and navigate the menus (which in itself is an experience that leaves a lot to be desired). I noticed the arrow buttons (whatever the correct gaming term is) can scroll through tables in the listing, but that's about it, haven't discovered any other PS3-enabled things apart from the game itself.

Edit: Oh and by the way, the wireless PS3 controller does not require any additional software to be used with Mac & TPA. Just make sure the controller is connected to the Mac before launching TPA. It seems the controller isn't recognised if it connects while TPA is already up and running.

Last edited:

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
Oh and by the way, the wireless PS3 controller does not require any additional software to be used with Mac & TPA. Just make sure the controller is connected to the Mac before launching TPA. It seems the controller isn't recognised if it connects while TPA is already up and running.
I have used a PS3 controller with my Mac before. Are you saying that TPA "just works"? How do the button assignments happen? I usually use the PS3 controller with an arcade emulator. The emulator itself allows me to assign buttons. Since TPA doesn't allow me to reassign keys, how does it work?

Jul 2, 2012
I have used a PS3 controller with my Mac before. Are you saying that TPA "just works"? How do the button assignments happen? I usually use the PS3 controller with an arcade emulator. The emulator itself allows me to assign buttons. Since TPA doesn't allow me to reassign keys, how does it work?

Yeah, it just works. TPA doesn't allow you to manually assign buttons, it has a fixed configuration for the controller. I find this isn't as big a drawback as the inability to reassign keyboard keys since the controller is the same everywhere, keyboard layouts differ by country/region.

TPA maps the PS3 controller as following:
-- trigger buttons (number 1, the upper triggers) control flippers
-- trigger buttons (number 2, the lower triggers) control Magna-Save
-- left analog stick for nudging
-- right analog stick operates manual plunger
-- X is for firing autoplunger and dropping bombs in certain games
-- square toggles locked camera
-- O changes the camera angle
-- triangle toggles DMD visibility

Again I don't own the PS3 console itself so I have no idea how this compares to the way things are there.

Edit: Just checked the assignments with the controller and updated the post with correct information.

Last edited:

rom

Nov 3, 2012
I tried it and it works just like this:
-Plug the PS3 controller per USB into the mac.
-Then start TPA and start the table with your mouse.
-Now for playing a table you just use the buttons on the PS3 controller like on the PS3. It works exactly the same and no installers or software is required.
Only the TPA menus to make adjustments and start a table are not working with the PS3 controller.
But playing works perfect for me.

Oenta

Jul 10, 2012
its weird, my TPA doesnt even want to fire up when i have connected my ps3 controller on my macbook pro. in bluetooth system settings it says that it is connected... i tried this before.. then gave up.. verry weird. I think im having the same problem as user "Freep"

Last edited:

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
@Oenta: I've tried this and I'm having no issues. When I asked above, I hadn't tried yet. I was just surprised that the PS3 controller was supported by TPA.

This should work fine for corded PS3 controller use. If you want to play bluetooth then follow the instructions upthread in Worf's post.

Oenta

Jul 10, 2012
Ok I got it working now... the problem was my macbook pro wasnt up to date. So i updated my mac to the latest lion software and now its working like a charm!
The ps3 controller is awesome on my mac. I just plugged it in with the usb plug. the lights start blinking..... leave it like that.. fire up TPA and browse your way to a table using ure trackpad/mouse. Press Start, now you have fully control of the table and ball with the same feeling as playing on a regular ps3. Awesome!!
Also Attack from mars looks great with Post Processing on. Start Trek looks good also with Post Processing. Some tables look odd and it looks farsight has not finished all the tables working with Post Processing. But man..... im glad i can finally nudge properly on the mobile versions of TPA! Thanks Farsight.

lazmama

Feb 21, 2012
Is TPA any better on a Mac (using a PS3 controller) than it is on the PS3? Or does it feel exactly the same?

Oenta

Jul 10, 2012
Is TPA any better on a Mac (using a PS3 controller) than it is on the PS3? Or does it feel exactly the same?
its a little bit better because the mac version doesnt have the small lag (there is still a small lag in the current US PS3 build, even in 720p) from the ps3 version.. ps3 has the better GFx ofcourse. But it feels good to play my favorite table attack from mars with ps3 feel. Scored almost 70B today. I'm playing TPA now also on my flatscreen using a special video cable, so im getting the same ps3 experience minus the GFX, but with "Post Processing ON" the tables look really nice already.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts