Do I have to have every table installed?

Guitarpik

Nov 3, 2012
I've been on the fence whether to get the season 1 pack on my ipad or my PC. Really can't afford both.
I just scored a dell venue 8 pro for $99, so I was excited that I could buy once and have desktop and mobile access...

The only problem is that it installs every table so it's almost 4gb, and I don't have a ton of space on the tablet. Is there any way to just install individual tables?

Thanks

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
question - you do know that buying for one platform wont give tou access to another? aka either buy for pc or ipad? or have i read you wrong. if your nkt huge into mobile gaming or plan to play at home most of the time go for pc.

Guitarpik

Nov 3, 2012
Lol yea this tablet runs full windows. Guess this option isn't going to work though unless I can figure out how to run programs from the sd card.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I could be wrong but with Google trying to be rid of so support seemingly. It's my understanding that windows supports so cards the best.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
Does the Steam version even support touchscreen controls? I know Zen for example has a separate Windows 8 version of their game that's kind of intended for tablets (has lower performance requirements also).

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Sadly not, as I was playing Zen on the Asus Transformer T100 in portrait and it played great. I later tried Pinball Arcade but had to use a controller which is pretty awkward when trying to balance it in portrait.

Its also a bit puzzling how Zen manage to have ball reflections but I have to turn them off on PA for it to run satisfactory.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I've been on the fence whether to get the season 1 pack on my ipad or my PC. Really can't afford both.
I just scored a dell venue 8 pro for $99, so I was excited that I could buy once and have desktop and mobile access...

The only problem is that it installs every table so it's almost 4gb, and I don't have a ton of space on the tablet. Is there any way to just install individual tables?

Thanks

All of the tables and content are in one package, this makes it easy to update everything.

If you have enough room to install you can manually delete tables from the resource folder where it's installed. File names start with a T, end in .rez. Make sure you only delete tables you don't want to play, and don't select deleted tables in game or the game will crash. I'm not sure if this will mess with the steam updates though.

Also you can change steams install directory to a different drive, lied sad card or external hdd. I never tried that but it should work. Load times will be slower though.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I don't think ROM emulation is a good excuse for everything as its not like Zen suddenly doesn't have to use any CPU power just because they aren't emulating hardware.

I suspect the real reason is that Farsight are very much scratching the surface when it comes to advanced graphical effects on the game, because up until now they have mostly been having to write for limited tablet/phone hardware whereas quickly as GPU power has improved, so has screen resolutions.

For example my Galaxy Note 3 has pretty decent GPU power behind it, but its completely offset by having to crank out 1080p. PA runs quite choppy because of that, I wonder if ball reflections would be possible there if they capped the resolution to 720p?

Fortunately this should start to improve now we have pretty much reached the point where cranking up the dpi of mobile screens any further is pointless but GPU power should continue to increase.

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Sadly not, as I was playing Zen on the Asus Transformer T100 in portrait and it played great. I later tried Pinball Arcade but had to use a controller which is pretty awkward when trying to balance it in portrait.

Its also a bit puzzling how Zen manage to have ball reflections but I have to turn them off on PA for it to run satisfactory.

PC specs?

Roo

Jul 5, 2013

That's a strange comment to me because the PBFX2 reflections are a pretty well-known performance drain. And they don't look good, either (by far the worst looking part of their otherwise nice-looking game). Either way it's a completely different game so I wouldn't be "puzzled" by it...apples and oranges...

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Reflections period are a very high power feature, the GPU has to calculate how the ball will display the playfield raising the amount of work the GPU has to do by a lot.

Also deleting files could very well mess up steam updates, but if one does come out and it is messed up because of the client edits, steam gives you the option to do a kind of "File integrity check" to repair the game installation.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Reflections period are a very high power feature, the GPU has to calculate how the ball will display the playfield raising the amount of work the GPU has to do by a lot.

Also deleting files could very well mess up steam updates, but if one does come out and it is messed up because of the client edits, steam gives you the option to do a kind of "File integrity check" to repair the game installation.

To add to this. I'd like to see how much attention people pay to ball reflections on a real pinball machine. Hell, I don't think I've ever even noticed if a ball on a real machine is even clean and smooth enough to provide a real reflection or not.

My guess is that most machines won't be well maintained enough to have fresh clean balls.

Heh heh. I said fresh clean balls.

Eff you Jim Beam...you make me silly

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.