Will Seasons 2 or 3 be available on retail disc?

Cerberus

Dec 18, 2013
A lot of us pinball fans are collectors at heart and still hold onto the past (Heck, we still love pinball). I am very happy to have found a retail copy of TPA for PS4, since it had sold out on Amazon so fast. 10-20 years from now I would still like to be able to play this game on PS4, and physical discs are the only way to ensure this.

If there are currently no plans for a physical release of future seasons, hopefully you can consider publishing them in small numbers and selling them directly through your site? I know that I myself would pay a hefty premium for limited edition physical releases.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
A lot of us pinball fans are collectors at heart and still hold onto the past (Heck, we still love pinball). I am very happy to have found a retail copy of TPA for PS4, since it had sold out on Amazon so fast. 10-20 years from now I would still like to be able to play this game on PS4, and physical discs are the only way to ensure this.

If there are currently no plans for a physical release of future seasons, hopefully you can consider publishing them in small numbers and selling them directly through your site? I know that I myself would pay a hefty premium for limited edition physical releases.

Alliance will probably be interested if the current one sells well. I'm curious what FarSight's motivation was to selling the retail disc. They said that they make less money on the disc because the publisher, Alliance in the states, gets a cut plus the cost of the disc and shipping. The only reason that I can think of is that with limited games available for the PS4 and it being Christmas time that it was almost guaranteed to sell well this year. It seems like FarSight might be less motivated to do another one. You might want to ask them on their facebook page. They probably won't read this thread. They do know of our bug reports here but I don't think they have the time to read the other stuff in the fan forum.

Cerberus

Dec 18, 2013
I highly doubt that the retail version will sell nearly as much as the digital one. Retail costs more for less (no pro options), and retail can't hold a candle to impulse buys.
I don't do facebook or twitter, but I do buy games. I hope that they check their own forum.

A limited edition physical copy would not only add bragging rights, but will hold monetary value. Depending on how far out FarSight would be willing to go, I can see myself buying a limited edition game for a price of $89 all the way up to $400/500.
It really depends on how many copies they plan to produce, what bonus "if any" they are including, if the limited physical offers an exclusive table or if the insert on the limited copies are numbered out of X/, or can be customized with the purchaser's high score initials. There's lots of great things they can do, as long as they factor in the quantity they plan to produce at a price point that will make everyone that would order such a limited edition happy.

They would easily sell 10 copies of a game limited 1/10 for $500 a pop. Using that logic, they could adjust the number produced and asking price accordingly depending on how limited that they wish it to be.

Also, what extra steps would they need to take to burn 10 Blu-Ray discs in house to sell with no printed disc artwork? Can they do that without too much of a problem from Sony? The kind of person that would buy a $500 copy of Season 2 would be a collector that is focused on rarity/exclusivity much more than presentation. All they'd have to do is include some certificate of authenticity with the sale to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2013
Alliance will probably be interested if the current one sells well. I'm curious what FarSight's motivation was to selling the retail disc. They said that they make less money on the disc because the publisher, Alliance in the states, gets a cut plus the cost of the disc and shipping. The only reason that I can think of is that with limited games available for the PS4 and it being Christmas time that it was almost guaranteed to sell well this year. It seems like FarSight might be less motivated to do another one. You might want to ask them on their facebook page. They probably won't read this thread. They do know of our bug reports here but I don't think they have the time to read the other stuff in the fan forum.

A disc release is for users who do not frequent the PlayStation store, or those customers who never even take their Playstations online period, due to lack of Internet or lack of interest. Believe it or not, this is usually 10-20% of the userbase that never even go online period. When talking about millions of people, it is a substantial number, especially for a small game like this that will get a low initial print run.

Second is as you say, some holiday sales.

Third is exposure. Just being on a retail shelf gets the game some free advertising. Especially with the limited amount of PS4 games on store shelves right now.

Considering it's a bit more expensive than digital, it will not hurt thier digital sales at all, since those in the know, such as fans here and enthusiasts who always are online with thier consoles will go digital . It's not for them, it's for the customer I outlined above. With that said there are also enthusiasts who prefer physical copies.

For all of these reasons , doing a disc release was a very savvy move. Giving away Tales of the Arabian Nights for free was even more keen; it almost ensures that Pinball Arcade will have a presence in the PlayStation stores top downloads for the life of the system. After all , who can refuse a free download , especially of the caliber of Arabian Nights , a gorgeous and fantastic table.

Coupled with the rave reviews , I think Farsight is going to find lots of success with this strategy. As a fan of both pinball and Pinball Arcade , this makes me very happy. This is excellent exposure for what was only a few years ago, practically a dead art form.

Cerberus

Dec 18, 2013
fans here and enthusiasts who always are online with thier consoles will go digital .

I'm a fan and in the know, and I chose physical. Down the road a digital copy of a game tied to a single exclusive account holds about the same monetary value as a digital picture of a $25,000 wedding ring. Digital is non transferable and worthless to anyone outside of their home but the original purchaser. For a game that I want to buy I'd still have to *consider* a digital purchase, where as a physical purchase would be a sure-fire thing (even if said physical purchase was made online).

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2013
I'm a fan and in the know, and I chose physical. Down the road a digital copy of a game tied to a single exclusive account holds about the same monetary value as a digital picture of a $25,000 wedding ring. Digital is non transferable and worthless to anyone outside of their home but the original purchaser.

Absolutely and I agree wholeheartedly! I'm a fan in the know, and I own both a physical disc and the PSN version simply for convienince. When I said "gamers in the know" I was generalizing. We all have different itches that need scratched, and a disc release works for a lot of people.

Cerberus

Dec 18, 2013
Absolutely and I agree wholeheartedly! I'm a fan in the know, and I own both a physical disc and the PSN version simply for convienince. When I said "gamers in the know" I was generalizing. We all have different itches that need scratched, and a disc release works for a lot of people.

Thanks, you know what I mean. I want physical for the same reason that millions of people had a backlash towards Microsoft after the E3 event. Being able to own something tangible is truly something that many consumers want.

I bought a retail copy of Pinball Hall of Fame at GameStop for my 3DS the second I saw it. I probably would have passed it up otherwise if it was just a digital release on such an underpowered platform.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I highly doubt that the retail version will sell nearly as much as the digital one. Retail costs more for less (no pro options), and retail can't hold a candle to impulse buys.
I don't do facebook or twitter, but I do buy games. I hope that they check their own forum.

This isn't Farsight's forum. This is a fan forum pinballarcadefans.com

It will be interesting to see how the physical version shakes out. I bought both. If there ever was a game that I might want to play 20 years from now, this would be it. So now I have a disc. And I also have the convenience of the digital version. But I am curious about the disc version. Is it the publisher, Alliance in this case, that is responsible for publishing patches or does it fall on the dev, FarSight? Will patches be published? DLC tables, balls and pro upgrades? Part of the reason my wife picked it up for me was just because we were curious about these things.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
No. Nothing listed. If there was DLC available then I wouldn't be wondering if there would be any DLC. :D

Heh well I wanted to make sure. But actually just now I saw them say something about this on their FB page: "We are working on a discounted upgrade for all tables with pro versions on the Disc to be upgraded, but it will not be a free download."

Jan 6, 2013
I hope they put all the seasons on disc i will buy them all.I do not own a ps4 yet but i am thinking about buying the game now just in case they become hard to find or 300.00 on e-bay

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts