Websites Getting The Word Out On The Twilight Zone Kickstarter Project

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, that's how it works. It's just a one stop shop for videogame news. Links to all sorts of articles from other websites. I don't think a whole lot of people there will have much interest, but every little bit helps.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Why is it that pinballnews.com has not given any coverage whatseover to Farsight. I don't believe they covered the disc based collections and they certainly haven't given any coverage to TPA. Just wondering why one of the more up to date websites that has wide readership won't mention this game.

Frostyglitch

Apr 3, 2012
Why is it that pinballnews.com has not given any coverage whatseover to Farsight. I don't believe they covered the disc based collections and they certainly haven't given any coverage to TPA. Just wondering why one of the more up to date websites that has wide readership won't mention this game.

Good question. I contacted them to find why yesterday, still waiting to hear back.

Edit:

We haven't reported this because we don't carry reports on computer simulations or emulations of pinballs, unless they have a particular link to something real or tangible.

I'm sure there are plenty of places which do a good job of covering these games.

I hope they do get the game licensed though.

Cheers,

Martin Ayub
Editor, Pinball News
www.pinballnews.com

Last edited:

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
"unless they have a particular link to something real or tangible" ?

You mean.. like simulations of REAL pinball machnes?

I understand them wanting to stay away from the large number of video pinball games that aren't "real" machines, or avoiding the non-licensed stuff out there, but geez... some folks don't have regular access to that many physical machines and it's still good practice for playing the real machines they represent.

Oh well. Can't force them to mention what they don't want to.

Danzig

Mar 1, 2012
I have been a long time reader of Pinball News, and I know of their not liking to report on simulations. But I went ahead and sent them an email myself as well because they really need to make an exception in this case. Not just for the kickstart for Twilight Zone, but for The Pinball Arcade in general. Recreating this machines can never replace the real thing, but they can widen the audience and bring in a whole new generation of pinball fans, which will help keep pinball alive and relevant for many more years to come.

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
You would think a site called pinballnews would cover all pinball news including simulations...

Maybe they should change the name to realpinballnewsonly

Last edited:

Danzig

Mar 1, 2012
Visual Pinball and VPinMAME have nothing to do with the subject at hand. Those are just simply links to those respective websites.

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
I just pledged my $50.00. I have never played this table either in real life or in any virtual form, however, I believe supporting this effort is important as I receive a lot of joy from playing The Pinball Arcade both at home on my PS3 and on the go on my PS Vita. I used to to watch the Twilight Zone on a black and white TV back in the day and it was one of my favorite shows, right next to Star Trek, the original series ... so sure, I want to play this table and any Star Trek table you throw at me (but would like the original Star Trek pinball table the most).

WE HAVE ALL HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO ENTER INTO THE TWILIGHT ZONE! ITS 2012 AND WE ARE EJOYING PINBALL TABLES BECAUSE THE PINBALL ARCADE HAS TRASPORTED US TO ANOTHER DIMENSION, TO A VIRTUAL WORLD WERE WE CAN BRUSH SHOULDERS WITH MEMORIES OF PINBALL PAST AND WHERE NEWER GENERATIONS CAN EXPERIENCE THE JOY OF PINBALL FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME .... MAY THE PINBALL ARCADE "LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Visual Pinball and VPinMAME have nothing to do with the subject at hand. Those are just simply links to those respective websites.

Yes. Those are techincally not "reports" and are just links...

but when they say this:
We haven't reported this because we don't carry reports on computer simulations or emulations of pinballs, unless they have a particular link to something real or tangible.
Yet they have those links, their stance and statement doesn't jive 100%.

Would having a link to these forums be acceptable?
There's certainly discussion about "real" pinball machines.. where to find them, which ones we enjoy, etc.
There's also a very large overlap of target audience for both websites.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Well they have links to books, movies, projects, never produced table concepts by the australian guy that had bought the rights to wms. Tpa is actually a real pinball game (as much so as many of the virtual games mentioned in old articles) and is committing itself to preservation. Sounds like a bias defi itely exists.

Vercingetorix

Mar 12, 2012
I have been a long time reader of Pinball News, and I know of their not liking to report on simulations. But I went ahead and sent them an email myself as well because they really need to make an exception in this case. Not just for the kickstart for Twilight Zone, but for The Pinball Arcade in general. Recreating this machines can never replace the real thing, but they can widen the audience and bring in a whole new generation of pinball fans, which will help keep pinball alive and relevant for many more years to come.

My seven-year-old son is obsessed with pinball, and it's completely based on playing simulations. Now he wants me to drive him around every weekend so he can play real tables.

If I were a collector who owned a dozen pins, I'd regard what Farsight is doing as the single most important thing in years that would maintain and enhance the value of those tables. It's potentially a hook for a whole generation of young fans. Not only to pinball in general, but to specific tables. Let's say you own a Bride of Pinbot. What could possibly be better for its value than for a bunch of really young people to have a great time playing a really closely simulated digital version of it?

Short-sighted stupidity, in other words.

Danzig

Mar 1, 2012
I just received Martin Ayub's response, "editor of Pinball News" and apparently he still just doesn't get it. Very short-sighted indeed.

bk2k

May 23, 2012
I agree, I sent them a mail a few days ago with links and suggested they might want to interview Farsight as an interesting story for their readers. I got much the same reply as yourself. As an owner of several real tables I was a little miffed. Collectors mentality? Fear of driving prices up? Snobbery? I don't know. The more people who want pinball surely the better. Having an "it isn't the genuine article" mentality in the face of the most coherent and earnest attempt to simulate and archive classic tables digitally seems a tad Luddite. I'd still jump at the chance to play a real Cirqus Voltaire even when I've one in my pocket. TPA might even act as a shopping "try before you buy". So yes I think this is extremely short sighted.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts