Sticky R1 & L1 buttons on Dualshock 4 Controller

Azuri

Dec 16, 2013
I did a search and I was unable to find any feedback on this. After several hours of playing on TPA I noticed my L1 button starting to stick....next day my R1 started it and no I don't eat messy chicken wings or have peanut butter on my fingers.

Here's the issue.

Here's the fix:

http://youtu.be/fRu3qKcUECk

It appears the problem is very widespread and returning your controller doesn't guarantee the next one won't do the same thing. This a problem Sony needs to fix, hope it helps some people.

Last edited:

Azuri

Dec 16, 2013
Takes a few mins to fix. The only things I would do different are use isopropyl alcohol for cleaning and do not use WD-40 even if he says a small amount in the comments. Just pop the buttons off clean and you're good to go. Mine works like new again or better. :rolleyes:

Craig

Dec 29, 2012
Mine started sticking like the first video shows. I followed the instructions posted in the second video, popped the buttons off and didn't see any kind of powder or residue at all but carefully cleaned inside with alcohol. Unfortunately this only made the buttons worse. Much worse actually to the point I had to get a new controller as this one was not even usable at this point. This really sucks. Now I'm kinda scared to play the game.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
You didn't try WD40 before giving up? Although I would think that some sort of grease would make more sense, something that will keep the plastic lubricated rather than run off.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I tried just cleaning it at first. Didn't completely fix the sticking. I squirted the two end holes with WD40 and then wiped off all of the excess. No problems since then. I think the problem is a design fault that allows the plastic to rub together and cause friction. It's going to be more noticeable in a game like TPA where you bash the L1 and R1 buttons. In a side note, FarSight should allow the use of L2 and R2 to avoid this issue for those that don't want to mess with their controller if it's just minor sticking and not affecting other games that don't use these buttons as much.

Last edited:

Azuri

Dec 16, 2013
WD-40 is not compatible with all plastics and silicones I don't know if this the case with the PS4 controller. I used a product for my PC MMO Naga Razor mouse for a sticky button called Nu-Trol it's designed specifically for electronics. This is a rampant issue with these controllers you can return or send them back to Sony but chances are high the next one will do it again.

Here's the Nu-trol I spoke about.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaners/contact-cleaners/nu-trol-control-cleaner-401b/

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Well, actually I used a generic lubricant sold by Super Tech at Wal-Mart. I say WD40 because that's what it's supposed to mimic. It hasn't ate through the plastic or given me any indication it's going to.

Azuri

Dec 16, 2013
Mine started sticking like the first video shows. I followed the instructions posted in the second video, popped the buttons off and didn't see any kind of powder or residue at all but carefully cleaned inside with alcohol. Unfortunately this only made the buttons worse. Much worse actually to the point I had to get a new controller as this one was not even usable at this point. This really sucks. Now I'm kinda scared to play the game.

That's unfortunate that it buggered up. Double check that your posts on the controller match the inserts on the button. Regardless bring or send that controller back and have them give you a new one if the home fix didn't work. Search google for this issue it's widespread I didn't have the white reside either but after cleaning my contact area and button with the isopropyl alcohol I bought at the pharmacy I've been going button stick free for 10+ gaming hours.

Last edited:

Canadian365

Jun 26, 2012
I also sprayed some silicone lube on a q-tip after cleaning, and treated the parts! Slick as butter now! Flipping awesomeness now!

I personally prefer the R1 L1 triggers. I find that the R2 L2 have too much travel and don't feel right for me pinball wise.

Last edited:

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
I tried the method in the video, using rubbing alcohol and compressed air in place of WD-40, and everything worked like a charm with no issues. Thanks OP!

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Wow, mine just started sticking today and I haven't even played that much in the few weeks I've had the ps4. Can't believe what a poor design this is, did they not test it?

Azuri

Dec 16, 2013
I tried the method in the video, using rubbing alcohol and compressed air in place of WD-40, and everything worked like a charm with no issues. Thanks OP!

Glad it worked for you!

Wow, mine just started sticking today and I haven't even played that much in the few weeks I've had the ps4. Can't believe what a poor design this is, did they not test it?

Who knows but this simple fix seems to illuminate it for good.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
I noticed mine sticking the other night, but noticed it only happens if I press the tip of the button. If I move up and press it in the middle, it's fine.

Vince

Nov 7, 2013
I found that just popping off the buttons, and blowing like mad into everything as well as trying to wipe away dust with a piece of toilet paper worked for me.

I didn't need to use any oil or lube that just might gum things up (be careful as you'll have a job getting any oil out that you put in); if you can get all the 'dust' out the buttons seem to stop sticking. Mine no longer stick at all, and it is just dry clean plastic in there now.

Azuri

Dec 16, 2013
I noticed mine sticking the other night, but noticed it only happens if I press the tip of the button. If I move up and press it in the middle, it's fine.

It's just a matter of time until it gets worse and then the other one will start too. :/

I found that just popping off the buttons, and blowing like mad into everything as well as trying to wipe away dust with a piece of toilet paper worked for me.

I didn't need to use any oil or lube that just might gum things up (be careful as you'll have a job getting any oil out that you put in); if you can get all the 'dust' out the buttons seem to stop sticking. Mine no longer stick at all, and it is just dry clean plastic in there now.

Same for me a good cleaning and some compressed air if you have it did the trick for me. No issues since

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I think anyone who thinks they fixed this by popping the buttons off, cleaning and putting back together is kidding themselves. Unless it's just some initial wear dust then it's going to happen again, and again. Lubrication may work but may also make it worse in the long run. I think sony will quickly and quietly make a small modification to the buttons.

Azuri

Dec 16, 2013
I think anyone who thinks they fixed this by popping the buttons off, cleaning and putting back together is kidding themselves. Unless it's just some initial wear dust then it's going to happen again, and again. Lubrication may work but may also make it worse in the long run. I think sony will quickly and quietly make a small modification to the buttons.

You could be right but with that being said I only got 4 hours playtime from a brand new controller before it began sticking since the fix I would say 12+ hours sticky free. Still a poor design or quality issue none the less it's going to cost them a butt load in returned controllers. This saved me the hassle of a return I hope it is a permanent fix. The button mechanism seems fine and the clearance around the button looks to be fine. Time will tell.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.