Ok..question

CmputrBlu

Jun 30, 2012
I was recently playing Scared Stiff and it seems the table "crashed" on me. The table seemed to get stuck. It was suppose to release another ball for play but it didn't. I think the table software mused have figured something was wrong because it would open the coffin lid and run some other mechanisms on the table every few seconds (minutes?) but it didn't ever release a ball for play. I was able to tilt the table once; but after that I had no choice but to quit the table. calling the operator didn't help as it told me the ball wasn't stuck.

Now is this something that would ever happen with the real table and if so what would be the fix. Obviously a real operator could tell right away some thing was not right. Is there anything that could be done outside of resetting the game.

Of course if this is just a Pinball Arcade issue then those questions are moot.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah this can happen on real tables. Nothing else to do but reset it. There is a notorious incident of a Twilight zone crashing during a big tournament, maybe someone who knows what I'm talking about can post the link. But most of the time on a real table, the ball gets stuck somewhere and the operator will have to take off the glass and put the ball the plunger lane or drain it for it to be found.

CmputrBlu

Jun 30, 2012
That's interesting. Does that mean that the emulation is set up such that it registers a disappearing ball as a lost ball through the emulated sensor? I would assume that in order to use the actual ROM in the emulation you'd have to emulate everything the ROM is expecting to see.

Anyhow I'll search old threads then :)

dada8787

Nov 11, 2013
I was playing black hole 2 times for almost 2 hours each time (on the way to set my record) and then I got multi-ball problem .
Nothing to do other then exit the table and all progress was lost. Grrrrrr

invitro

May 4, 2012
That's interesting. Does that mean that the emulation is set up such that it registers a disappearing ball as a lost ball through the emulated sensor? I would assume that in order to use the actual ROM in the emulation you'd have to emulate everything the ROM is expecting to see.
Emulated sensor? Well, the ROM does what it does when it can't find a ball... a ball search. This has been reported on several tables... it's happened on SS, RBioN, and CV for me, and I reported that in the Bugs thread here. And maybe BH. I remember that some real machines would kick out another ball if it lost one and the ball search didn't help? I don't think it's going to be fixed. Well good luck!

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
I was playing black hole 2 times for almost 2 hours each time (on the way to set my record) and then I got multi-ball problem .
Nothing to do other then exit the table and all progress was lost. Grrrrrr
The ROM on black hole is not emulated. it is scripted. at the time TPA had not figured out emulating the ROM.

N

netizen

The ROM on black hole is not emulated. it is scripted. at the time TPA had not figured out emulating the ROM.

They have figured it out, they just haven't implemented it. Haunted House is emulated and runs on the same system board, it is just a matter of time, *crosses fingers*, before FarSight implements a fully emulated Black Hole; among other tables.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.