Animated Rollover Switches Possible?

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Request: Animated Rollover Switches Possible?

Having played PA and VP in a cabinet a fair bit over the Christmas holidays one thing that has become really obviously lacking in PA is an animated rollover switch. On a 42" screen in portrait mode when the ball goes over the switch it looks so fake that the switch does move. By animation all that is really needed is a simple up image down image. Hopefully this would be simple to add. Would anyone else like to see this?

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I've been thinking this for a long time, not really necessary for mobiles but definitely a must on PC/Consoles.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Isn't this also the case with the bumpers/slingshots?

I haven't seen VP but comparing video footage of No Good Gofers to the PA, the simulation definitely still needs some work.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Bumpers and slings are animated on some tables but not others. Centaur = no Creature from the black lagoon = yes

Not sure why really.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I didn't think rollovers moved enough to be noticed in the first place... at least, I never notice them on my High Speed (granted, they ARE at the very back of the PF). Didn't know about the non-animating pop bumpers on certain tables either. Weird.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Bumpers and slings are animated on some tables but not others. Centaur = no Creature from the black lagoon = yes

Not sure why really.

They get reported in every beta release as that is one of the easiest things to spot. Usually they get fixed.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I didn't think rollovers moved enough to be noticed in the first place... at least, I never notice them on my High Speed (granted, they ARE at the very back of the PF).

I think it varies from table to table and also on the viewing angle. In portrait mode it is really noticible for me at least in the cabinet for the switches by the outlanes. Having seen them move in VP it is something I think would improve the simulation in PA. As I said before by animate I think a simple two image animation (down/up) might be good enough which might be what VP does (maybe a VP author can confirm).

Here are the switches in Central Park portrait view 3. In a cabinet with a 42" screen they are quite prominent:

rollovers.jpg

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah it wouldn't have to be a very detailed animation. Just a 2 state thing. Most likely something that will normally slip outside of notice because it looks right in the peripheral attention zones. I'm pretty sure the animations in VP are all two state as well.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
This will be fixed in the future. I hooked it up for the next table, but it'll need to be done per table, so I'll do each old table as I fix other issues in them.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I think it varies from table to table and also on the viewing angle. In portrait mode it is really noticible for me at least in the cabinet for the switches by the outlanes. Having seen them move in VP it is something I think would improve the simulation in PA. As I said before by animate I think a simple two image animation (down/up) might be good enough which might be what VP does (maybe a VP author can confirm).

Here are the switches in Central Park portrait view 3. In a cabinet with a 42" screen they are quite prominent:

rollovers.jpg
Ohhhhhh. See, I was thinking of these kinds of rollovers:
FeclXCYm.jpg

mYzRn6sm.jpg

Thought you had laser vision or something ;)

This will be fixed in the future. I hooked it up for the next table, but it'll need to be done per table, so I'll do each old table as I fix other issues in them.
Make sure you fix them for High Speed as well!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts