Pro or No?

BigWeather

Jul 1, 2013
I'm torn on pro vs. normal season packs for the PC. On the one hand, I don't use it much. On the other hand, since this will be the basis for a virtual pin at some point I may want it then. Do you all think the pro features will be worth it for a cabinet? Actually, come to think of it I'm not sure how the free camera table navigation would even work on a cabinet. If I get the non-pro can I pay an upgrade fee like on the consoles to go pro or am I locked in?

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
I'm torn on pro vs. normal season packs for the PC. On the one hand, I don't use it much. On the other hand, since this will be the basis for a virtual pin at some point I may want it then. Do you all think the pro features will be worth it for a cabinet? Actually, come to think of it I'm not sure how the free camera table navigation would even work on a cabinet. If I get the non-pro can I pay an upgrade fee like on the consoles to go pro or am I locked in?

The PC version allows upgrading individual tables to pro just like the consoles and mobile devices.

gypsyshred

Apr 12, 2012
I'd say get if for the tables you are a huge fan of and want to see everything about it. If you want it for the free camera, its not great, and portrait mode is better for that imo. The ball control is a great way to cheat and see what happens in endgame or whatever. The DIP switches are cool and all but the interface makes it unusable to me.

BigWeather

Jul 1, 2013
Andassaran, thanks -- I guess upgrading is an option and as long as I don't upgrade too many tables I still come out ahead (as long as I spend less than $10 on pro upgrades).
gypsyshred -- I hadn't realized that portrait mode fills the need to really see the table well. I also suppose that cabinet mode will do that even better still, what with a monitor dedicated to looking right down on the playfield and another for the backglass. Since that was my primary motivation to going pro (ball control and DIP switches I'll probably never bother with) then that makes the decision easy. Thanks.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I bought all season passes with pro although rarely go to the options. Two reasons, the first is to support TPA, and the second I am hoping they will add further pro options such as slope adjustment, flipper strength, etc. As superballs said this would require pro mode to be added to all tables though.

N

netizen

Good point, pro mode is a good way to introduce new superuser features, should FS decide to go that route.

They have already added 1 new feature to Pro Mode since it was brought out; The Tilt Meter. So it is more than likely that new features will be added to existing Pro Mode tables as they are developed.

Vegard

Jan 2, 2014
I have the S1 & 2 Pro packs, but the only table I've been really messing around with is Scared Stiff, and it's infamous Family Mode (which at default SHOULD be off by the way, but it's on instead - which is annoying!). But since you no longer get goals and leaderboard scores, I rarely bother with it, even though it makes the game so much more fun. One fine example would be Elvira proclaiming "Ohhh, I'm having multiple jackpots!". Priceless.

BigWeather

Jul 1, 2013
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm tending towards just going non-pro for now, and hoping that cabinet mode doesn't require pro (I can't imagine that it will -- as many pre-S3 tables have no pro mode). I just don't think I'll use the features enough to justify the 33% more sticker price. As for Scared Stiff, here's hoping we see non-Family Mode version in Pinball After Dark by default or some such.

Vegard

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm tending towards just going non-pro for now, and hoping that cabinet mode doesn't require pro (I can't imagine that it will -- as many pre-S3 tables have no pro mode). I just don't think I'll use the features enough to justify the 33% more sticker price. As for Scared Stiff, here's hoping we see non-Family Mode version in Pinball After Dark by default or some such.

I doubt cabinet mode will require Pro; that'd be taking it too far. Only a small portion of the tables have operator menus anyway. Funnily enough, I was going to turn off the Family Mode on Scared Stiff this weekend; had a friend over and wanted to show him the differences. To my surprise the new factory default was "Off", so it seems they changed it. Well, kind of; the actual extra dialogue is still non-present from what I've gathered. I guess one has to turn it on now in the menu to turn it off..

Members online

Members online