XP vs Windows 7 & 8

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
I am playing Pinball Arcade with an Nvidia card on Windows XP. I am using an older driver so that I can use two monitors with Future Pinball. PA looks really, really bad. It's not even playable with post processing turned on. With post processing off, it looks okay, but all of the 3D objects have jagged edges, even with 16x anti aliasing. I even have to turn the ball reflection off because it looks like a camouflaged Predator is flying around my table. If I add a Windows 7 install to my machine and use the latest video card driver will the game look better?

With post processing
ymXZinx.jpg

Without
LFDcDtN.jpg

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm running windows 8 and it looks fine, with an NVIDIA card. Only reason I turn off post processing is I don't like the nuclear glow that gets added.

LamerDeluxe

May 8, 2013
I play it in Stereo 3D on XP using an NVidia GTX460 and it looks fine, I'm using a recent driver with a single monitor though.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
I play it in Stereo 3D on XP using an NVidia GTX460 and it looks fine, I'm using a recent driver with a single monitor though.

I have the exact same card using the 260.99 drivers. I may just say screw Future Pinball and upgrade to 332.21. Thanks so much.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
or use windows 7... future pinball works perfect on it with newest drivers...

With the new drivers, FP only works perfectly with one monitor. It won't allow you to set up a backglass.

I just installed the latest Nvidia drivers from 1/7/14 and I still have the exact same problems.

I tried linear filtering and resetting all the graphic card settings back to default. That also had no effect.

I'm not sure what else to do here. Pinball Arcade is the only program that has any problems whatsoever on my machine. Maybe I will just wait until the Directx 11 version comes out.

Loadedweapon

Oct 26, 2013
What is the problem your having with FP? I have 3 screen cab and have all settings maxed with no problems.. gtx 660 for playfield and backglass and 610 for dmd..

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
With the new drivers, FP only works perfectly with one monitor. It won't allow you to set up a backglass.

I just installed the latest Nvidia drivers from 1/7/14 and I still have the exact same problems.

I tried linear filtering and resetting all the graphic card settings back to default. That also had no effect.

I'm not sure what else to do here. Pinball Arcade is the only program that has any problems whatsoever on my machine. Maybe I will just wait until the Directx 11 version comes out.

DX11 will not run on windows XP, DX10 will not even run on Windows XP so if you're looking to run with DX11 Lighting you will need to run Windows 7 (Vista's an option too if you're a masochist)

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
Fine on my cab with gtx 660 and latest driver. Looks much better than even the better of your two screenshots. Post Processing on or off, doesn't matter. There is some aliasing, but nowhere near what I see there. Biggest graphical issue I have is with some of the game's low res textures (which has been discussed many times and I'll note that the new Fish Tales table looks very nice to me). [Also ignoring DX11 lighting, true cabinet cam, etc etc.]

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
So I went ahead and installed Windows 7 (64bit) on another hard drive with the latest NVidia drivers. All the 3d objects look great now, even with post processing on. I can't wait for the higher resolution textures!

1BBB1C4DE2CE96CA9FC5AF51304B0B55EE785642

Last edited:

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I suspect that DirectX 9 support will be gone pretty soon in most games. (thankfully not in Pinball Arcade)

It made sense to keep it while they were effectively targeting it on consoles anyway, but once games start being PS4/Xbox One only then its going to mean a LOT more work if they continue to support DX9 on PC rather than just go all out on DX11.

I'm actually curious to see if Pinball Arcade will run better or worse on Intel HD Graphics in DX11 mode, as its kinda weird having a DX11 GPU that performs worse than most DX9 GPUs.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I suspect that DirectX 9 support will be gone pretty soon in most games. (thankfully not in Pinball Arcade)

It made sense to keep it while they were effectively targeting it on consoles anyway, but once games start being PS4/Xbox One only then its going to mean a LOT more work if they continue to support DX9 on PC rather than just go all out on DX11.

I'm actually curious to see if Pinball Arcade will run better or worse on Intel HD Graphics in DX11 mode, as its kinda weird having a DX11 GPU that performs worse than most DX9 GPUs.

Intel HD chips aren't meant for gaming, their designed to run the windows UI which has been a 2D looking 3D interface since Vista (one of the major reasons Vista was so poorly received was that the onboard chips in most computers had next to zero 3D capabilities and Vista as a result ran like a pig). Essentially being DX11 capable only means it can understand how to use different API extensions and is not a measure to how fast or powerful it is.

In conclusion, it's not that weird at all

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Intel HD chips aren't meant for gaming, their designed to run the windows UI which has been a 2D looking 3D interface since Vista (one of the major reasons Vista was so poorly received was that the onboard chips in most computers had next to zero 3D capabilities and Vista as a result ran like a pig). Essentially being DX11 capable only means it can understand how to use different API extensions and is not a measure to how fast or powerful it is.

In conclusion, it's not that weird at all

I suppose in context its not weird, after all for compatibility reasons you should always support the latest API possible. (or risk the GPU becoming a serious bottleneck later on if an OS upgrade relies on newer functions)

There are supposed to be some new instructions in DX11 that do things quicker than on DX9, so the same hardware "should" perform better. I have my fingers crossed I will at least be able to at least turn on ball reflections, I can live without post processing or AA on a 10" screen. The question I suppose is if those are CPU or GPU bound (or even memory bandwidth).

I'm just pleased that Pinball Arcade runs decently on the Bay Trail Atoms, a huge improvement over the old Atoms. Although according to Geekbench 3 the Galaxy Note 3 still comes out slightly faster, but Pinball Arcade runs far smoother on the Atom. (though granted, its running at a much lower resolution)

Last edited:

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I suppose in context its not weird, after all for compatibility reasons you should always support the latest API possible. (or risk the GPU becoming a serious bottleneck later on if an OS upgrade relies on newer functions)

There are supposed to be some new instructions in DX11 that do things quicker than on DX9, so the same hardware "should" perform better. I have my fingers crossed I will at least be able to at least turn on ball reflections, I can live without post processing or AA on a 10" screen. The question I suppose is if those are CPU or GPU bound (or even memory bandwidth).

I'm just pleased that Pinball Arcade runs decently on the Bay Trail Atoms, a huge improvement over the old Atoms. Although according to Geekbench 3 the Galaxy Note 3 still comes out slightly faster, but Pinball Arcade runs far smoother on the Atom. (though granted, its running at a much lower resolution)

I'm pretty sure all the heavy lifting in TPA should be on the GPU, considering what kind of hardware the physics engine runs on in mobiles. That said, there are some pretty weird CPU load spikes on non-emulated (mainly pre-SS era) tables at times. Regardless, ball reflections/post processing/lighting and all that is certainly down to the GPU.

Members online

Members online