Request Please lower the brightness of the tables

Patrick

May 21, 2012
There was an attempt with the last update of MM but lights are too dark for the moment.
With darker environnement we should see lights clearly, like real tables.
For instance, ripley or funhouse are really too bright.

Thank you.

night

May 18, 2012
There was an attempt with the last update of MM but lights are too dark for the moment.

Thank you.

Just like we have different camera modes, it would be a nice idea there would be 2 different light modus as well: normal and evening light. The evening light could really add some extra more drama to the tables. It raises the optical feeling of electric lights.

Patrick

May 21, 2012
I posted elsewhere with the same idea. But yes, the spirit of pinball is a bit vanished without a dark environnement ;-)

Patrick

May 21, 2012
I think it is possible. Here is real pinball HD

photo.png

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Just tried their other table, the skateboard one and fair play to them they have done a good job simulating the lighting. Some interesting ideas there too with slow motion and rewind although obviously they don't have a place in TPA. Not a good experience overall though, it feels like you are playing with a rubber ball, and there are jaggies everywhere. I don't see why FS can't get the lighting to this standard though, as far as I can tell its just updated artwork, not dynamic lighting.

Patrick

May 21, 2012
Just tried their other table, the skateboard one and fair play to them they have done a good job simulating the lighting. Some interesting ideas there too with slow motion and rewind although obviously they don't have a place in TPA. Not a good experience overall though, it feels like you are playing with a rubber ball, and there are jaggies everywhere. I don't see why FS can't get the lighting to this standard though, as far as I can tell its just updated artwork, not dynamic lighting.

You are right, physics are really not good in this game but lightning management can perhaps gives ideas to FS. Lowering brightness and add this kind of effects can be a good way to improve TPA and perhaps they can find a solution for this. I trust them!

night

May 18, 2012
I have the Vampire table, ball feels heavy. Overall I don't like it, too dark in the back, only the front/centre of this table is lid.
Electric lights seem like colored soft blushes rather than a real feeling of electricity. Good lighting is not easy. And it bounces off all the objects. It glitters in the chrome, reflects in the polished table. I don't know if it's just a matter of setting some parameters for the developers. Our screens and displays are made of light, a real table is wood/glass/plastic/chrome and light. My best bet is the option to slightly lower the environmental light while keeping the lights as they are now intact. It seems the least amount of work.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012

Thank you.

From the side by side comparisons I saw, it looked like FarSight lowered the brightness, but forgot to bump up the contrast. I've made custom settings to my tv to make the tables somewhat darker and the lights flash brighter on The Pinball Arcade and the two main things I did was lower the brightness (to the point where you can only see the bottom half of the wood flooring on the backdrop) and bumped up the contrast. Now I'm getting the lighting effect I want and it makes a big difference.

geremy

Aug 3, 2012
I now this is an older thread, but I wanted to bring it up again.

I finally got a chance to try Pinball Arcade on the PS3 and now I'm sort of sad that I did! The tables LOOK SO MUCH BETTER ON THE PS3. It isn't the graphic fidelity or anything, it's the lighting of the tables. On the PS3 the tables are lit like they would be in the low light of an arcade. Now when I play the iOS version the table colors look washed out like I'm playing inside a super brightly-lit operating room. The best example is Black Hole. On the PS3 the center of the table is just about pitch black. You can barely make out the second play level underneath. The effect is awesome. The table lights also jump out much more, and there is a bit more depth.

It would be great if Farsight could add a 'low ambient light' option to the iOS version, since that is the one I play the most.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
There are seemingly equal numbers of people who prefer day and night lighting for their pinball tables, and many of them have very strong opinions. FarSight have said on several occasions that their ultimate goal is to provide the user with a slider to choose his own preferred ambient light level once they have implemented true general illumination models in the software. Just sit tight.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
...and then brace ourselves for the myriad "Request: Make the brightest a bit brighter" and "Request: Make the darkest a bit darker" threads :p

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
...and then brace ourselves for the myriad "Request: Make the brightest a bit brighter" and "Request: Make the darkest a bit darker" threads :p
Indeed. Speaking as someone who works in lighting, I find our collective obsession with pinball lighting fascinating...and slightly disturbing.

geremy

Aug 3, 2012
I was very surprised how much difference the lighting made on my enjoyment of the tables. Anyway I sent an email off to the support address with the request, we'll see what they have to say. Maybe if enough ppl request it they'll prioritize the implementation of the lighting slider.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts