Request Fake ball reflection texture instead of grey blob

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Could you please add an option to have a fake reflection texture mapped to the ball when reflections are turned off?

As it is now the ball texture looks pretty bad, especially on tables with captive balls which DO have pre-rendered reflections on them (unless you task switch out of the game, then they are not re-generated when you switch back).

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
I totally agree with this. I have tried the ball reflection on low and high and it just looks terrible. It makes the ball hard to see. The gray ball looks silly, but is more playable.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Hmmm, not sure what you mean about the reflection looking bad - my specific issue is just that I am running the game on a low-end PC that cannot handle the reflections turned on.

It sounds more like what you want is custom balls, which DO exist already but you have to pay for them.

Kirill Kirilld

Sep 6, 2013
Really, the present no-reflection ball is so unreal. And adding reflections just makes the game unplayable on some tables.
There's nice fake ball reflections in android TPA (default ball).
If FS could add that feature to PC version too! That would be so great!

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Hmmm, not sure what you mean about the reflection looking bad - my specific issue is just that I am running the game on a low-end PC that cannot handle the reflections turned on.

It sounds more like what you want is custom balls, which DO exist already but you have to pay for them.

It looks like there is not anti aliasing on the reflections on the ball, even though everything else looks fine. It also looks like there is a gray cloud surrounding the ball.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Yeah, for some reason I only just noticed that the other day as well. It's like there's some incorrect ambient occlusion taking place, so it looks like it's in front of a darkened blob. Also picked up on the lack of AA on the ball as well.

I don't recall seeing the blob on existing versions... but then again, I've really only started using the post-processing since it was dialled down a bit a version or two ago. Will need to try with it off to see if there's any difference.

CmputrBlu

Jun 30, 2012
OK..was going to ask this question separately..but I'll as it on this thread. Speaking of ball reflection; why does it appear that the amount ball reflection differs from table to table. In a table like Space Shuttle the ball is more reflective than on Black Rose for example. The latter seems to be using a toned-down reflection map. Unless I'm mistaken; aren't the balls pretty much the same in real life. Balls on some tables aren't made of a less reflective metal are they? I wish the reflective amount was the same across all the tables (unless there is a reason for a balls on specific table to be less reflective.)

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, for some reason I only just noticed that the other day as well. It's like there's some incorrect ambient occlusion taking place, so it looks like it's in front of a darkened blob. Also picked up on the lack of AA on the ball as well.

I don't recall seeing the blob on existing versions... but then again, I've really only started using the post-processing since it was dialled down a bit a version or two ago. Will need to try with it off to see if there's any difference.

I noticed that too. The ball looked great on Genie, but really bad on Ripley's. Weird.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Honestly, I think the ball reflections look better on the PS3 than on the PC (high setting).

Members online

Members online