Request Please provide wiimote, icade and icontrolpad support

vcoleiro1

May 25, 2012
I hate playing old time games with touch controls. Is it possible to add support for the wiimote, icade and icontrolpad to pinball arcade on ios?.

That way we have the option of using real controls.

vcoleiro1

May 25, 2012
if you are jailbroken try blutrol, works great for me!

greetings

MJFox

Thanks, Yes Blutrol will work, but as you say, you need to jailbreak which is a major hastle especially when new OS releases come around.

Mame4all has wiimote and I believe icade and icontrolpad support, so it shouldn't be that involved to implement.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It's possibly that having that extra layer of input code running would affect the performance of the game on certain hardware.

vcoleiro1

May 25, 2012
It's possibly that having that extra layer of input code running would affect the performance of the game on certain hardware.

I doubt that, Most emulators these days provide icade, ICP and Wiimote support. A lot of these emulators are really pushing the HW but the addition of the controls support has made no difference.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
if you are jailbroken try blutrol, works great for me!

greetings

MJFox

Thanks for the tip. My wife got me an icade for early fathersday and I can play toa proper on ios now.

Even nudging works great now. This will make me buy more ios tables as the nudging especially was a nuisance but now I have it figured out thanks to blutrol.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the tip. My wife got me an icade for early fathersday and I can play toa proper on ios now.

Even nudging works great now. This will make me buy more ios tables as the nudging especially was a nuisance but now I have it figured out thanks to blutrol.

How exactly does blutrol work? Are you able to assign nudging to the joystick/buttons?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
You assign areas of the ipad to the buttons. You make screenshot in the app you want to use, go into blutrol, and assign areas of the screenshot to specific buttons. So 2 buttons go near the flippers, 2 near the nudging areas and 2 for camera's and pause (will move one for trollbombs later on).

The nudging area is strangely near the top and middle of the screen so hard to reach with your fingers, but this way I can control the nudging direction. I found out by putting the joystick area near the top/centre and could direct nudging consistently, including the direction (only l/r)

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Scratch that: the nudging is better this way, but by configuring blutrol I can 100% confirm you can only nudge on the left OR right side of the screen, and they swap subsequently (so if you nudge by tapping left, there is no way to nudge there again untill you nudge right, and vice versa).

vcoleiro1

May 25, 2012
Scratch that: the nudging is better this way, but by configuring blutrol I can 100% confirm you can only nudge on the left OR right side of the screen, and they swap subsequently (so if you nudge by tapping left, there is no way to nudge there again untill you nudge right, and vice versa).

Do you assign the joystick as the plunger?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
no, you can only assign screentaps to the blutrol software, not dragging your finger over the screen. So you just do the plunger on the ipad itself.

vcoleiro1

May 25, 2012
no, you can only assign screentaps to the blutrol software, not dragging your finger over the screen. So you just do the plunger on the ipad itself.

That doesn't sound good. I thought you could do that actually, I'm sure Ive seen games where they have assigned the joystick to a circular area on the screen, but what would I know.

That sounds like a very good reason to provide in house support for external control right there. At least then they could assign the joystick properly. It would be good for example to have the analogue joystick on the ICP acting as the plunger.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
the icade with blutrol simulates a blutooth keyboard, so its all digital. Yes you can drag the joystick control over a virtual joystick area but that is still not simulating a swipe movement.

That said, its really very very minor. Even if they would be able to manage it, skillshots like BOP, Taxi, Totan would be undoable with a digital joystick and you'd probably resort to doing it on the pad.

vcoleiro1

May 25, 2012
the icade with blutrol simulates a blutooth keyboard, so its all digital. Yes you can drag the joystick control over a virtual joystick area but that is still not simulating a swipe movement.

That said, its really very very minor. Even if they would be able to manage it, skillshots like BOP, Taxi, Totan would be undoable with a digital joystick and you'd probably resort to doing it on the pad.

With a digital joystick it would be bad, but don't forget, the ICP has an Analogue Joystick (2 in fact) , it would be perfect to map the plunger to.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
+1 for icade support

Possiby with an option to use joystick for nudge control, but support would be great.

I wonder why Farsight and ionaudio dont get together and make an offical ipinball cabinet.

At very least bundling totan with it would put the atari collection to shame....*strokes millipede*

still needa try out mame on new ipad

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I only pledged 25$ for the TZ Kickstarter, but a little cab with real flipper buttons for the iPad? I would pledge 100$ for that without even thinking twice. TPA is still a very young product, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of peripheral to be made for it in the months to come... it works well enough on the touchscreen (well... aside from the nudging), but tapping glass just doesn't have this satisfying feedback real buttons have.

Adding to that, the iPad is HEAVY. It just gets painful after a while to keep holding thr entire thing up while playing, and resting it somewhere isn't ideal either if you still need to use the screen. If only the whole portrait screen thing wouldn't work so well ;)

I mean, judging by this forum and the TZ Kickstarter, there is obviouly a fanbase hardcore enough to buy such a thing. And it can't be that complicated to make, either... should have able to generate quite a nice profit margin I suppose ;)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Well ive seen icade mods that add extra buttons to the side so the same tech could be reused in a different form factor....real feedback might be a pipe dream but who knows.

I think the biggest stumbling block would be an ipad housing that also allowed for shake nudging lol...kinda like a shock absorber rollcage kinda thing....probably a dream too

But even a modified icade wouldnt be anything to sniff at considering the price of prebuilt hyperpins etc or shock real pins lol

Last edited:

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I just ordered an Apple bluetooth keyboard, and I was wondering that since it's already easy to pair it with iOS devices, wouldn't it be cool to use it to control TPA with it too? I kinda like the idea of the iCade, but bluetooth keyboards are certainly more common.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Icade is essentially simulating a bluetooth keyboard. If you get blutrol you can control tpa with a keyboard as well I'm (fairly) sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.