VP - Monster Bash Update

unclewilly

Feb 20, 2012
coming soon to vp a nice monster bash update.

here is a comparison for the vp haters around here
TPA MB
mbtpa.png
[/IMG]

Visual pinball update soon to be released
wipfinal.png
[/IMG]

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I think people object to the gameplay more than the visuals (in many of the tables). But it's nice to have it as an option. Wish TPA had all the EM pins that VP does.
I don't really game game on my PC anymore. But it it ever finds it's way to my ipad, then I will download it on day one.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
yeah what a way to advertise your ine ****e willy bad form man, realky wish i didnt check the forum hah, even if it isnt your work, the sensational thread title is silly, there is no vp hate here deary

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I have to agree with heretic on this one, and quite frankly I kind of expect better from you since I actually hold you in pretty high esteem as a table author. There really isn't much vp hate here, actually I bet there's more tpa hate thrown around here. If it being 2d had anything to do with it then there also wouldn't be as much love for pro pinball either.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Not sure there is any VP hatred in these parts. I haven't used VP since about 2008 but I was very impressed with what a lot of people did in both original tables and replicating classics. Eventually I may get into it again once TPA has run out of option on certain licensed tables or has shown they definitely won't issue other tables. I think VP is actually quite impressive being an endeavor that is created as a labor of love and I'm sure a great deal of others feel the same way.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Apart from the silly thread name: wow! I haven't played VP for a while now, after playing it very seriously for a couple of years. I know there is a Unity 3D version in the works, but who needs that when tables look like this? There is no VP/FP discussion here, and no VP/TPA either. More pinball = better

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've heard people dump on VP's physics, but never on the visuals. People were going ape in here for that recent T2 release because of how photo realistic it is. I do take exception with the TPA version screen shot though. For starters, it's squeezed. I don't know if that is how it actually looks when in portrait mode or not, but it doesn't look like that in regular 16:9. Also portrait mode is a stop gap until true cab mode is done, and that'll be using DirectX 11 visuals. Do I think it'll look as pretty as this VP screen? No, it'll look like TPA. 2 years in, there's a well established look to TPA, and if you haven't gotten used to it now, you never will. It is not going to suddenly look photo realistic.

As everyone above has said, theres no VP hate in here. I myself prefer TPA over VP, but that has more to do with functionality and ease of use. Fantastic job on the art there, but try not to troll us.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
To the extent that there is "VP hate" in these forums, it's typically contained in the observation that some tables by some authors are of poor quality in various aspects (visuals, physics, etc.). You're going to get that whenever you let the masses try their hand at creating anything. If/when TPA ever gets a construction set, we'll have the same problem.

Also, if you're going to do a comparison between TPA and VP graphics-wise, you need to use a better TPA screenshot to do it, preferably from the PS4 version, since that's the one that the PC version will look closest to after the upcoming DirectX 11 update lands. I'm not sure where you got the screenshot you used, but I've never seen Monster Bash look like that on any platform I've played it on (iPad 3, XBox 360, PC).

Furthermore, someone needs to tone down the lightray effect on the VP version. That plunger lane has literally gone to plaid. Real lighting doesn't do that.

And finally, I'm changing the thread name to something more neutral.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah something wrong with the TPA screencap. Monster Bash doesn't look that bad on TPA my iPad or on my PC. But I can say it doesn't look as good as what you created there.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've heard people dump on VP's physics, but never on the visuals.

Actually the physics are where VP shines in a lot of cases. The flippers feel a lot more like a real machine, more randomness, etc. Unfortunately, it can vary a lot from table to table, but when they get it right, VP captures the battle to keep the ball alive better than TPA ever has.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Actually the physics are where VP shines in a lot of cases. The flippers feel a lot more like a real machine, more randomness, etc. Unfortunately, it can vary a lot from table to table, but when they get it right, VP captures the battle to keep the ball alive better than TPA ever has.

I was just referring to previous flipper and aiming discussions like when the new version of T2 came out.
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...IVE-EVER-SEEN/page2?highlight=Virtual+pinball
I was just trying to point out that people weren't really blasting VP or FP for graphics around here. And as you stated many prefer the gameplay too. Sorry if I have the wrong impression.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
I played both vp and fp but i lost interest in them (before i found out about tpa, so it's not because of tpa).
The graphics (specially on fp) are most of the times just awesome!
And while the flippers feels right and lot of stuff feel right, aiming right is a nightmare...
I've played a lot on afm on the real table, so i know how to aim to this damn saucer but on fp no way, the aiming sucks...
Now maybe that some tables have the aiming right but most of those i tried were pretty bad on this topic...
And it's sad, when i see the awesome work those guys do, i feel it's wasted by the physics :(

karl

May 10, 2012
Your new MB looks fantastic UW.

I play VP almost more than TPA these days when it comes to pc play. That can change of course when TPA gets cabinet support and DX 11 support but some of the VP designers have better physics than TPA, like Pinuck, UW, Groni and some others also.

One great thing that has happened with the new VP ver 9.2, it is much easier to change the physics yourself. There is roll-down menu where you can just copy the physics on what ever table you are playing and set that as a template.

It takes a lot of time to get a table to look as good as the new MB is shaping up to become, so there is bound to be a few not so good looking VP tables now and then, but the standard is raised all the time in both tables and on the VP program. (the people who update the VP program work like crazy, there is a thread on vpforums they update almost daily with new beta versions of the program for anyone interested)

FP on the other hand is a mess for me. Yes, many tables look fantastic but the physics is still bad even with all the latest physics versions. It does not look that great in full screen on a cab either. Just in the latest year they have made physics 2.5, 2.6, Zed physics and some others. It is still far behind VP and it has become really confusing with all the different versions and tables created just for that version alone. I still have a lot of respect for the table designers though. Some really great creations. Just a pity that the base program has so many limitations

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Monster Bash is one of the few tables in TPA that I was disappointed in from the get-go. I am a big universal horror movie fan, but when I saw how crappy the monster figures looked I was just disappointed. They look nothing like they should look like. Good job to whoever made this visual pinball update.

Edit: The Pinball Arcade screenshot does look stretched, but it would look bad either way.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Monster Bash is one of the few tables in TPA that I was disappointed in from the get-go. I am a big universal horror movie fan, but when I saw how crappy the monster figures looked I was just disappointed. They look nothing like they should look like. Good job to whoever made this visual pinball update.

Edit: The Pinball Arcade screenshot does look stretched, but it would look bad either way.

TPA do a good job but they aren't very good at recreating more complex models. The Terminator skull and the yeti on WH2O spring to mind.

unclewilly

Feb 20, 2012
I'd be more then willing to provide fs with the models I used. They are low poly below 4000. If they wanted them

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I'd be more then willing to provide fs with the models I used. They are low poly below 4000. If they wanted them

I don't think they'd take you up on your offer. Personally I've never had a problem with MB. Though to be honest as long as it plays well I couldn't care less about minor art issues.

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
... I'm not sure where you got the screenshot you used, but I've never seen Monster Bash look like that on any platform I've played it on (iPad 3, XBox 360, PC). ...

FYI: I sometimes play TPA on a Mac, and that is pretty much exactly how bad the graphics are.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.