Those who think PHOF is bad - take a look at this!

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
This game dominated my childhood getting much more play on our NES than any of the Mario or Mega Man games ever did. I guess that is the reason I have always loved playing Pinbot and look forward to seeing it at conventions. Even though it is a real drain monster and can be very difficult it is great for learning how to nudge and properly control the ball. It also forces you to learn how to pass since its really heavy on shots from the right flipper. However the standout part of the table for me are the sounds and music which are some of the best I have heard in a pinball machine especially considering its age.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I loved my NES back in the day, but sadly I never knew about this version of Pinbot for NES until it was much too late.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
1986 is really the start of the modern era. It's when sound and music made an enormous leap forward. It's also when deeper rule sheets began to appear. A machine from this year, High Speed, is the first pinball machine I remember playing.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I still have that cart. I wanted to like it so much, but everytime that Galaxian came out and blew up my flipper, I'd just get pissed off and yell "that ain't pinball!!!"

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I like the NES High Speed quite a bit myself. The physics are improved a bit compared to pinbot and the mini games are extremely fun. I also like the graphics of both games. They are limited in color, but have a lot of details for NES. Scoring isn't comparable at all to the original, though.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
I still dont understand how on earth this game came about to be released on the NES, let alone why??

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I still dont understand how on earth this game came about to be released on the NES, let alone why??

I'm sure it was actually pretty fun at the time.......although real pinball machines were very common then too, which is probably why I never played this on NES. I really didn't get into video pinball untill it became more of a pain to find real machines.

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012

This version only came out 2 years after Pinbot's original release, and remakes of real tables were almost unheard of. Also, the only other pinball game for the NES at the time was Nintendo's own Pinball. It was due to this game that I began to show an increased interest in real pinball, as when I saw an IRL Pinbot, I had to give it a try, because if it was good enough to get it's own Nintendo game, it must be something special.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
This version only came out 2 years after Pinbot's original release, and remakes of real tables were almost unheard of. Also, the only other pinball game for the NES at the time was Nintendo's own Pinball. It was due to this game that I began to show an increased interest in real pinball, as when I saw an IRL Pinbot, I had to give it a try, because if it was good enough to get it's own Nintendo game, it must be something special.

The copyright date on the title screen says 1988, but the dates online list 1990. There were at least two other pinball games, aside from Nintendo's Pinball, around at that time.

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
Lately I've been geeking out on NES emulation, and have discovered many, many gems that I overlooked back in the day. Pinbot is actually one of them. Sure the physics aren't up to TPA standards, but it's tons of fun. And I really dig the old school 8bit graphics. Also, if you get a chance, check out the NES version of Gyruss! It's actually way better than the arcade version- with a super rad soundtrack, and added boss levels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNqmS2MHKsw

N

Nik Barbour

I've got a NES emulator on my phone and just tried out Pinbot - oh man!

Didn't have a NES back in the day, but loved playing 'revenge of the Gator' Pinball on the original gameboy. (think this was late 80's).

images

Last edited:

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
HAL developed both Kirby Pinball Land and Revenge of the Gator for the Game Boy, so they're kind of related.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
HAL also did Pinball for NES (according to interviews with Iwata, he helped work on it. The gameplay is also extremely similar to Revenge of the Gator), Rollerball for NES, and Rollerball for MSX (a computer that was popular in Japan and Europe).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts