@FarSight...Please Remove The Sound Overlapping The ROM Sound When Entering Initials

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
FarSight, could you please remove the game sound that's overlapping the ROM sound when you enter your initials if the original ROM already has it's own sound. If you're going for authenticity, then you shouldn't have any game sounds overlapping (or taking the place of) the original ROM's sounds.

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
I've mentioned this a few times and no one seemed to feel the same way. I feel better now, thanks Pin-Wiz!

This issue bothers me a lot actually, especially when I have my tablet connected to my stereo or car speakers. Ruins the original creators' intended presentation. Kind of like Pan and Scan versions of movies.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I agree as well. I don't want anything playing over the original sounds. I would like a way to see some of the attract presentations/light shows (like the one in Centaur where the voice shows off the game's features), as well. A way to do codes that are done before a coin is inserted and hearing dialog that only plays before the start of a game would be nice too. I think a couple games have special tilt voice/sound, as well.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I think it's on both iOS and 360. When doing high score, I rather have just the original sounds from the machine than hearing the farsight sounds play with them.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Both my 360 and my iPad 3 do it. It's different from table to table. ToM it hardly does it at all, TotAN does it only in one direction (left), some of the other tables it played the table's sound and the generic "ding!" sound on top of each other.

George Klepacz

Feb 20, 2012
Yes, all systems. My PS3, 360, and Android devices do this. We don't think it's a bug, but rather a design choice by the Farsight crew. A design choice we'd like to see changed.:D

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
Sounds to me like it was an unintentional remnant. I'd guess it was put there as a placeholder early on in the table design phase before the ROM was ready. The intent was to take it out before release, but that step got missed.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I agree as well. I don't want anything playing over the original sounds. I would like a way to see some of the attract presentations/light shows (like the one in Centaur where the voice shows off the game's features), as well. A way to do codes that are done before a coin is inserted and hearing dialog that only plays before the start of a game would be nice too. I think a couple games have special tilt voice/sound, as well.
Yes, nearly all games do this. I like how the newer tables the sound fades out and there is silence now, instead of the repetitive looping of the in-game music. Perhaps the "attract shows" will soon follow. BOP has even had the original exit music removed!
The sound during initials scoring has been removed on 360 only if you use the RB/LB configuration. It has not been removed on Android at all.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
BOP has even had the original exit music removed!

Are you referring to the music drop when there is a ball locked in the head, and the match sequence music gets cut as soon as the ball release solenoid is fired?.

If so, then this is a known issue with the ROM programming, and not and issue with Farsight's implementation.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Are you referring to the music drop when there is a ball locked in the head, and the match sequence music gets cut as soon as the ball release solenoid is fired?.

If so, then this is a known issue with the ROM programming, and not and issue with Farsight's implementation.

No, I was talking about the standard exit music. However, after checking it out on Android, I see they've included it.

Neil L

Aug 5, 2012
FarSight, could you please remove the game sound that's overlapping the ROM sound when you enter your initials if the original ROM already has it's own sound. If you're going for authenticity, then you shouldn't have any game sounds overlapping (or taking the place of) the original ROM's sounds.

I totally agree with this, and why does the table music play while entering initials? Big Shot's 'music' overlapping sounds the worst. (Hopefully a back button will be added for this table soon)

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I agree it's a simple glitch/annoyance that can be easily fixed and would go along way in improving the presentation for me. Been a pet peeve of mine since day 1.

Jul 2, 2012
I totally agree with this, and why does the table music play while entering initials? Big Shot's 'music' overlapping sounds the worst. (Hopefully a back button will be added for this table soon)

Perhaps I misunderstood the message here, but real-life solid-state pinball machines are supposed to play music while entering initials (all WPC games do that, for example). Some of them even have different music for different high score lists (Road Show being an example I'm familiar with).

Then, there are the tables which do not even have an initial entry system (early SS and EM, FarSight uses their own initial entry interface for these) and therefore shouldn't play any music, were you rather referring to these?

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

Also, are the bling bling bling noises really necessary when entering initials?

You get visual feedback the initials are moving therefore the chime/bling noise is unnecessary.

And in modern games you also have initial entry ROM sounds that are muddied by these menu interface effects.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
The game sound overlaps the ROM sound when scrolling through the alphabet to enter your initials on all platforms and devices.

Whoops, you already said it. Unless you are referring to the music specifically, and not the sound effects from the menu interface.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Whoops, you already said it. Unless you are referring to the music specifically, and not the sound effects from the menu interface.

I'm definitely referring to the interface sound effects, but seeing as it's been almost nine months since Mike asked about it, I'm assuming that Bobby decided against removing these sound effects from the tables that already have their own ROM driven sound effects when entering your initials.

Jul 2, 2012
I'm definitely referring to the interface sound effects, but seeing as it's been almost nine months since Mike asked about it, I'm assuming that Bobby decided against removing these sound effects from the tables that already have their own ROM driven sound effects when entering your initials.

A pity if that is indeed true. This has been bugging me since the beginning and I really feel it takes a lot away from getting your initials to the high score lists.

It's also a reason I love STTNG on the Mac: you can avoid using the on-screen buttons completely by using flipper buttons and the trigger button (space bar). Other modern tables can utilise flipper buttons but the on-screen button still has to be used for confirmation.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts