Please fix these known bugs for MAC OSX users

Michel Deschenes

Apr 8, 2014
I recently purchased all seasons to play on my MacMini OSX Maverick (The highest specs with ATI Radeon HD) via Steam playing in Vertical using Samsung SC27! Just total fun (for entire family), however some of the issues simply kills the experience: I've reported this on steam communities/discussions and I'm not alone with these issues as some other MAC OSX users have just as good system as I do. Here it goes: :(:mad::D

Issue #1: Sporadic lag, (slow motion) ... for minutes and poof kicks back in to normal. Does this on/off during out the gameplay. I've tried what was suggested in forums to address this workaround and still occurs. (Just hope I will be heard and for others having similar issues)

Issue #2: Farsight tries to access keychain (keep getting a prompt time to time, force to click "always allow" but still comes back). Yet again tried what was suggested and found some of my own workaround however I only get the prompt now after I get a high-score or complete a table/game.

Issue #3: When closing game, and try to go back into game, steam thinks it's still running in background. Force quite is only option to reset this so game be started again, (sporadic occurred a few times).

Issue #4: Upon entering initials for high-score screen menu does not go away (sporadic only on certain tables) not often but when it does occur, no choice to exit game.

Issue #5: I play on vertical screen mode and menu's (main menu) are slightly off.

Issue #6: Sporadic crashes
Process: PinballArcadeSteam [50539]
Path: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/PinballArcadeSteam.app/Contents/MacOS/PinballArcadeSteam
Identifier: com.farsightstudios.osx.pinballarcadesteam
Version: 1.25.0 (1)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [149]
Responsible: PinballArcadeSteam [50539]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2014-04-13 11:32:50.914 -0300
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 2A914FFF-5226-A19F-739C-8374B334915D

Sleep/Wake UUID: 17BC9AC1-7487-4EC4-BDB3-44996F2D478E

Crashed Thread: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000054

VM Regions Near 0x54:
--> __PAGEZERO 0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [ 4K] ---/--- SM=NUL /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/PinballArcadeSteam.app/Contents/MacOS/PinballArcadeSteam
VM_ALLOCATE 0000000000001000-00000000000f0000 [ 956K] ---/--- SM=NUL

Thread 0:: MainThrd Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9289ef7a mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9289e16c mach_msg + 68
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91906d29 __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 169
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91906301 __CFRunLoopRun + 1393
4 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x91905b1a CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 394
5 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9190597b CFRunLoopRunInMode + 123
6 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x988b2b7d RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 259
7 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x988b2902 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 526
8 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x988b26dd _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 92
9 com.apple.AppKit 0x94287389 _DPSNextEvent + 1602
10 com.apple.AppKit 0x942868b0 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 119
11 com.apple.AppKit 0x9427919c -[NSApplication run] + 727
12 com.apple.AppKit 0x94262038 NSApplicationMain + 1165
13 com.farsightstudios.osx.pinballarcadesteam 0x000f1935 0xf0000 + 6453

Thread 1:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager
0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x928a4992 kevent64 + 10
1 libdispatch.dylib 0x9aa1f8ad _dispatch_mgr_invoke + 238
2 libdispatch.dylib 0x9aa1f546 _dispatch_mgr_thread + 52

Feature request: Need better front-end (live video playback) and when idle to randomly show pinball playback.

Last edited:

Michel Deschenes

Apr 8, 2014
125 views is a good sign, any eta on issues #1, it's killing my Arcade Retro Night parties! :) Love your game but please provide ETA on your next release with bunch of Apple/Mac fixes! I'm building Arcade Cabinet for to fit my 27" samsung and 20" backdrop/dmd.

Last edited:

Michel Deschenes

Apr 8, 2014
As to issue #1 this is starting to be extremely annoying on mac. I'm really thinking of installing Windows 7 (bootcamp) and run steam/tpa from pc. I'm assuming I will need to purchase all same tables for pc platform? I hear the issue is not present on pc/windows ... Mac version has been a very bad port and really wanted to avoid installing windows ... please fix this asap. Before I make another mistake of running Windows...

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Steam TPA purchases are cross-platform. If you can play them using Steam for Mac, they will work the same on Steam for Windows.

wizard33

Jul 31, 2014
Here are a few bugs, I guess Mac-specific

1) WHO Dunnit: sometimes a hard shot will throw the ball out of the pinball table, visible during 2 secs. This is just a graphic glitch since the ball comes back, normally.

2) Attack from mars: possibly if you lose a ball but you have an extra ball, you can go back to the Start screen. Still, you can see the game running in background. Just pressing Start will get you you back in the game, and then you can go on playing.

There was also a bug I cant reproduce in Cue-Ball Wizard, when you reach Pool-Ball Mania and multiball in the same time, the game stops working properly.

Jay

May 19, 2012
Outside of the well-known slow down (which has a work-around), the biggest issue for me is the complete lack of consistency with camera angles. From table to table, each camera position is different. Making it worse, Player 1 remembers whatever camera settings you prefer (across all tables, too), but all other players default to camera 1 for everything. You can change each setting, but then exiting that table and starting another re-sets all the cameras.

In short: make the camera angles consistent.

MagnumXL

Apr 23, 2013
I say fix the lighting between the Mac/iOS versions and the Windows versions!

The tables all look like broad daylight on the Mac and iOS but look medium dark on the Windows (and PS and XBox) versions. Windows DX11 looks like DARK tables with enhanced lighting. I don't expect DX11 effects (well with Metal in El Capitain, it SHOULD offer them), but the darker regular look is fine. Playing with my monitor's GAMMA settings, I can get an IMPROVED look (makes darker colors darker and brighter ones bright, which with many tables gives a similar effect of a darker environment). It's not that the Mac versions don't have flasher or GI (general illumination) effects on a lot of the tables (well at least "lit" even if they don't go out like in Addams Family in Windows), but rather they simply have the background lighting so bright that everything gets "washed out" looking. "Post Processing" effects turned on here makes them EVEN MORE WASHED OUT LOOKING (not better, worse). In fact, I see no improvement on the Windows version with post processing turned on either in terms of lighting, but in Windows most of the tables look SO much better (darker, better lighting) even without DX11.

Keys don't match either. The "lock camera view" key in Windows is the "V" key and "enter" starts the tables and the space bar activates the plunger. On the Mac, the space bar activates the plunger, but it ALSO changes the locked camera view resulting in the camera lock turning on/off every time you launch the ball with the space bar. The space bar also hesitates for a couple of seconds and pulls back much slower than on the Windows version. The ENTER key seems to do nothing on the Mac version (i.e. you need a start button key to activate martian bombs in Attack From Mars and so far I haven't found such a button on the Mac version). The nudge keys are also in different places, etc. It just seems like the controls should be consistent across the Mac and Windows versions. I know the Mac version is made from the iOS version, but the iOS version doesn't use KEYS at all so why not us the same keys as the Windows version? IT makes no sense. I don't see why the Mac version couldn't have darker lighting like the DX9 Windows version. In 90% of the tables, it's just the brightness/contrast/gamma that makes them look so different. The lighting is there; it's just drowned out by bright ambient lights. I find myself playing the Windows version for this reason alone, even.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts