Severe delay in Flippers

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
Okies, So I have a slight issue that I so far have only noticed in Twilight Zone, but it causes a serious problem with playing the table. The problem is in TZ, when I hit the flipper, there is like a half second delay from when I hit the button for the flippers, to when the flippers actually flip. This makes it damn near impossible to hit the ball, especially if your trying to aim the ball in a certain direction because the flipper just doesn't react then I hit the button. I have only seen this in Twilight Zone. All the other tables I have played seem to be OK, but this actually makes TZ virtually unplayable for me.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

John

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
Yeah I know I do. I take full responsibility for being lazy... My problem is, I never seem to find what I am looking for in old posts because I don't stay on top of the forums. Trying to find it takes me for freaking ever and I really can't spend all day looking. I get impatient and pissy when I can't find it. Plus mostly everyone here is kind enough to help out and repost or redirect me to the post.. It's not the best practice I know, but I would rather avoid my own frustration. If someone gets mad at me for posting a question already asked, then so beit, I take it like a man....

Though since you pointed out that it's been explained in some detail, could you kindly pass along the post since I still can't find it? I would be interested in reading about it.

Thanks!

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
What are the input lag figures for gaming on your 4k TV? Maybe have a look at AVForums.com or hdtvtest too, they've reviewed the 4k Sony I think.

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
Hey Dan, I never would have even thought to look into that only because I don't see such a lag on any other game, just PBA. Every other game I play such as COD Ghosts doesn't seem to have such a lag so I would doubt that it would be any input lag, though it doesn't hurt to take a look from that angle as well. However, based on OldSkools reply, I would have to think that this would be an inherent lag with PBA and not the TV input.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I don't think we've heard of something this specific to a single table before.

The only thing I can think of suggesting is trying a higher camera angle, if you're using a low one--try locked camera 3, for instance.

But yeah the basic thing to do first is to set your TV to "game mode" or whatever setting it has where it is doing the minimum amount of image processing possible.

Oldskool1969

Jul 25, 2013
I don't think we've heard of something this specific to a single table before.

The only thing I can think of suggesting is trying a higher camera angle, if you're using a low one--try locked camera 3, for instance.

But yeah the basic thing to do first is to set your TV to "game mode" or whatever setting it has where it is doing the minimum amount of image processing possible.
Yep what he said! I don't know how to post a link of previous thread? I am a numb nut myself in this regard! ;)

Feb 19, 2014
Hey Dan, I never would have even thought to look into that only because I don't see such a lag on any other game, just PBA. Every other game I play such as COD Ghosts doesn't seem to have such a lag so I would doubt that it would be any input lag, though it doesn't hurt to take a look from that angle as well. However, based on OldSkools reply, I would have to think that this would be an inherent lag with PBA and not the TV input.

Its less noticeable in 3D games but it's still there.

For instance I can play FPS and 3rd person action games on my tv in "normal mode" just fine if I chose. But games with twitch input like Strider and Pinball Arcade are unplayable (to my standards) this way. And I chose to play fps games in game mode anyway for the quicker response.

In other words, everything is lagging you're just not noticing it on the fps games like Cod which is normal.

Anyways. Go into your TV options, look around (usually under 'general settings') for "game mode".

Turn it on.

Problem solved.

-edit- I see that you have a 4K TV? Some of those are only rated for 30hz and there is nothing you can do about input delay on those sets. The good news? If you're rich enough to afford a 4K TV, then an additional low-latency set for gaming won't break your budget.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Its less noticeable in 3D games but it's still there.

For instance I can play FPS and 3rd person action games on my tv in "normal mode" just fine if I chose. But games with twitch input like Strider and Pinball Arcade are unplayable (to my standards) this way. And I chose to play fps games in game mode anyway for the quicker response.

In other words, everything is lagging you're just not noticing it on the fps games like Cod which is normal.

Anyways. Go into your TV options, look around (usually under 'general settings') for "game mode".

Turn it on.

Problem solved.

-edit- I see that you have a 4K TV? Some of those are only rated for 30hz and there is nothing you can do about input delay on those sets. The good news? If you're rich enough to afford a 4K TV, then an additional low-latency set for gaming won't break your budget.

Being able to buy a 4k TV does not define one's wealth. Someone can budget for a 4k TV if that's what they want just as someone can budget for an Escalade if that's what they really want to drive. That doesn't mean that they necessarily have the budget for another TV or an additional car.

Feb 19, 2014
Being able to buy a 4k TV does not define one's wealth. Someone can budget for a 4k TV if that's what they want just as someone can budget for an Escalade if that's what they really want to drive. That doesn't mean that they necessarily have the budget for another TV or an additional car.

Ok but it's not a car. It's a 20,000$ TV. 20,000$ TV and I'm suggesting he spend 500$ to get one that'll work with gaming. You're talking about a what, 70,000$ car? And what's a beater cost, at least 2,000$ lol. This is clearly different.

Anyways it's all moot because I was wrong to begin with. Seems 4K has come down quite fast,like 1,000$ and less in some cases. I was also wrong about image. Most 4K sets allow you to set it to 120Hz and 1080p, it seems. 30hz is only in "4K" mode.

So to answer the op again: look in tv settings for 1080p mode, "game mode", and turn them both on.

Sorry haven't been keeping up with this and it changes quite fast. Less than a year ago these things were 25K to start.

Feb 19, 2014
4K TV's are not $20,000. You can get a 55" for $2300.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-3...hdtv/2043667.p?id=1219068634943&skuId=2043667

I personally have a 58" Samsung Plasma, and don't even use game mode. There is no noticeable lag in any games whatsoever. Individual pixel response of plasma is <1ms. Much less than any LCD TV.

Yeah. Plasma rocks from what I've heard.

The sad thing is I didn't even know plasma was still around. It also got a bad wrap because it supposedly doesn't last as long as LCD. Is that still true?

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
Ok, so hear goes..... Price of the TV and my finances are a moot issue, and not for this forum not anyone else but me... As for the TV it's the Sony Bravia 55in 4K. It was actually rated by CNET as the best gaming TV on the market at the time of it's writing which I don't know when that was, but since this TV has not been out all that long, it couldn't have been to long ago. It was also rated as one of the best TV's to work with the PS4. My understanding is that the PS4 will upconvert to what I am assuming would be a simulated 4K. I do not have to switch it to game mode because this is a Sony Bravia 4K and I am using a Sony PS4, it actually automatically does this for me.

Now as for this inherent lag that you guys says is there for all games, I beg to differ. I have played Madden, Tomb Raider, COD Ghosts, infamous Second Son, Need for Speed Rivals, ans Zen Pinball 2. I have to honestly say, I do not notice lag at all with any of those games and if there is any lag, I can not detect it. When I play Zen Pinball 2, I have no lag what so ever.... The flippers are perfectly responsive to me. So I am not really use where you guys say there is all this lag across the board.

Oh and to the set the record straight, yes I did just buy a new SUV, (2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser) and yes I bought a Sony Bravia 4K 3D HD 55in LCD TV. However, I am on permanent disability. These new toys, as some would call them, were the two items I promised myself when I won my disability case after a 4 year fight. The thing is I am lucky to be alive, so while I am here and I was blessed to have worked hard enough to earn enough SSI/SSI benefit so that god forbid I ever needed it, it would be there and it would be plenty to live the rest of my life with..... Well, back in 2009 that fateful day came, and I got sick. Yes, I bought these "toys" thought it does not mean that I will just got any buy a new toy just because I have the money. The rest of this money has to last me until my final day. I am 39 now, but that final day could come tomorrow or it could come in 10 years (I'll be lucky if I last that long). Point being I plan to be happy while I can even if it cost me a new car and 4K TV!

Did I need to share all that? No, but since things crossed the line and were brought up, I figured I would tidy up the lose ends and the speculation... Let's just hope I am around long enough to see seasons two and three come out on PS4! :p

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
That's why my posts were hypothetical. But I agree that it is silly to call someone rich because they buy a TV or a new car. Enjoy your new "toys" and try to have the good fun!

Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
Yeah. Plasma rocks from what I've heard.

The sad thing is I didn't even know plasma was still around. It also got a bad wrap because it supposedly doesn't last as long as LCD. Is that still true?

The problem with Plasma was always around burn in and power. Power consumption is still an issue, but burn in hasn't been a problem for a long time. The main benefit to Plasma was how it displays pure black properly and has great viewing angles and was much easier to produce large displays for, but OLD and LCD displays have overcome these issues now.

Either way, I own a plasma and love it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts