Is there or is there not a reasonable chance to get The Addams Family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
I honestly haven't heard anything and it's my favorite pin of all time. Can't we bribe the widow!? Or does it go deeper than her? LOTR would be far too massive right now for obvious reasons and in my opinion it doesm't hold as candle to AF. I thought the issue was he didn't want his image or likeness used in any future products, but the work he did was in the past. I mean come on I have nightmares still about SF: the Movie! ;) edit- It would be great to hear from an employee on this issue.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
I think The addams family is the most requested table there is ^^

As far as I know, Farsight wants to do it. And I think that they are in negociation for this one for a long time.
I think we will have, no way that this iconic table is not released on TPA.
But 99 pourcent of chances are they're gonna need a kickstarter for this one.

And I think I recall that they said that After T2 the next kickstarter they want to do is TAF, the only question is... When...

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Most likely the problem is licensing with whoever owns the Addams Family content. Which may be fairly involved... even getting the licensor to the table is a pain typically. Usually the problem is just getting the licensor to mention a price to sit down to hammer out an agreement (so FS knows how much the kickstarter needs to raise). Once that money's on the table, then the problem is getting the licensor back to show them you're serious and to hammer out an agreement.

T2 was an anomaly because it was in the midst of being transferred for the new Terminator movie, so it was knocked out while it was cheap, and it was a limited thing because if it failed, there was no way to get the license ever again.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I honestly haven't heard anything and it's my favorite pin of all time. Can't we bribe the widow!? Or does it go deeper than her? LOTR would be far too massive right now for obvious reasons and in my opinion it doesm't hold as candle to AF. I thought the issue was he didn't want his image or likeness used in any future products, but the work he did was in the past. I mean come on I have nightmares still about SF: the Movie! ;) edit- It would be great to hear from an employee on this issue.

I think it's safe to say that a FarSight employee is currently limited to "that would be a great table to have in the collection", or "we'd love to have Addams Family in TPA as well, but the licenses are tricky".

These are both public quotes from FarSight folks in the Twitch streams. You're probably also aware of the verbiage on Facebook posts whenever anyone new to the game asks about the table.

If FarSight could give us an update, I have no doubt they would. But they can't.

Legal is hard. Lets go shopping.

Terminator

Feb 8, 2014
What about likeness of character licencees after death? Raúl Juliá who played lead character - Gomez Addams passed away, So how would FS go about that?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
What about likeness of character licencees after death? Raúl Juliá who played lead character - Gomez Addams passed away, So how would FS go about that?

FS would have to deal with the estate of Raul Julia.
But I still have faith Farsight will get it worked out at some point.

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
One thing that may give us hope......

Junkyard has the Mamushka mode in it, which came from Addams Family. If the voice on Junkyard's version is the same (Raul Julia's), then it means Farsight must have some permission to use it, which is a huge step forward.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
An Addams Family thread should be sticky'd - this one will probably do.

It's something everyone wants to know - but the assumption is everyone already knows
A sticky will help people that doesn't follow, inquire to where things currently stand

During the webcast for Highspeed, they mentioned there was enough time to get TAF in season 3 (with 5 tables left)
I would speculate if it was during season 3, it would probably be the last table added, as buying the season 3 package would also be available then (making the season package a no brainer slam dunk)
But that's just my wild made-up guess :)

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
The movies have not made it to Blu Ray. Whether that's because of the Julia estate or lack of interest I don't know.
However they have been released on DVD. In 2000. Raul passed in 1995.

So my question is. Wouldn't rereleasing the pin be the same kind of thing?

Unfortunately I don't know the answers and only Farsight does, but they're very quiet on the whole matter.

At this point. If the answer is no, it's not going to happen, they should openly let all the Kickstarters and community know. Make a public statement and say "Knowing that we can't do it, do you guys want to and would you support another Kickstarter like say Lord of the Rings or Simpsons". To which I think people would say "YES" (my opinion anyway) and we can just move on to other things, with the hopes the licensees change thier mind in the future.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
The embargo on Raul Julia's likeness is based on emotional and personal reasons, which means bribing is not going to work, even if bribery was legal and accepted (and since this affair is entirely set in the United States, it isn't). The other thing is that the estate apparently wants people to forget about the man, as it applies to the production of anything with his likeness. I'm sure that if the estate had the ability to go around and destroy every Addams Family pinball machine there is, they'd do so.

This does call into question on how restoration groups have access to the playfield artwork though.

Junkyard has the Mamushka mode in it, which came from Addams Family. If the voice on Junkyard's version is the same (Raul Julia's), then it means Farsight must have some permission to use it, which is a huge step forward.

The Mamushka's voice clips are performed by whoever voices the devil on this table. it's not Raul Julia.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
There was one interview with Merel Poloway a bit after Raul's death that I recall in particular . It was right after some Pink Panther work was done with extra footage of Peter Sellers after Peter Sellers' death. They cobbled together this found footage with old voice work of Peter along with sound alike actors. They did lots of over the shoulder shots of stand ins while they threw in bits of voice work. In the digital age it might have been Ok. But this was the age of splicing. And analog dubbing. It was horrible. But it was also Pink Panther. Not exactly a great work of art anyway. Anyway, Merel was referencing this work and other posthumous work recently done with cobbled together bits when she said that Raul expressly asked that no new work should be done with him in it after his death. Raul was thinking specifically of another Addams Family movie being done with him in it after his death.

I don't think Merel or Raul were specifically thinking that a virtual recreation of a pinball machine, that was made during his lifetime, couldn't be made after his death. To me it is akin to making a poster for a revival showing of the movies or a lunch box for the same. We're not talking about a newly created work but rather a digital version of something already done. Much like making a DVD or BD release of an old movie.

That is not to say that Merel Poloway is not the hold up. She is known to be difficult and hard to contact. She might very well be the holdup, just not for the reason that is so widely rumored. But some licenses are held at a much higher value than others so it could be that the movie studio and/or the Addams estate is as much of the hold up as anyone else. Usually companies on all sides don't want to discuss a license agreement openly until the parties all agree. In fact speaking in public about a contract negotiation before anything is settled can actually derail the negotiations. In a multiparty negotiation such as this you will probably hear nothing from FarSight until it is ink on paper. And one of those parties might not even agree to sit at the table for years. Then all of a sudden they call the lawyers and an agreement is in place.

You just never know until you do. So I wouldn't get your hopes up nor would I dash them. Best just forget about it and know that FarSight would love nothing better than to deliver the table that best not speak its name.

By the way, Addams Family is available on Netflix and Amazon streaming which pretty much puts to death the crazy idea that anyone's estate doesn't want this work to be seen.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I love the way some pinball machines reference other pinball machines. That's why Junkyard is a very cool addition.

There's 4 that reference Addams in some way. Twilight Zone does it in the Fast Lock Multiball, Junkyard with the Mamushka, Ripleys Believe it or not references it in Ripleys Facts and AFM has Dirty Pool. It's probably referenced in Gofers somewhere. Just so many reasons, not the least of which being the most popular pin of all time, makes it so ideal to have in the arcade. Pinball Arcade will always be incomplete without it, which is a shame. Would easily be the highest selling game in the service, too.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
Hmm, that makes sense--I know companies have to stay quiet until an agreement can be made, and certainly it means something is going on, even if that something is excruciatingly slow.

Also, I think The Simpsons Pinball Party would sell digitally better than The Addams Family.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
it was released on blu ray actually...

I got It
The-Addams-Family-br-uk.jpg

the second one is not release yet...

Last edited:

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
never played this one so I'm not sure about all the fuss. But I do hope that the pin is better than the movie.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
At one point they did say progress was being made. That could mean anything but I know they also had stated that there were a great number of parties just needed to be in contact with and I also recall that they stated they had been in contact with almost all the necessary ancillary license holders.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
it was released on blu ray actually...

I got It

the second one is not release yet...

It has never been released in the US on BD even after a 2013 release was announced in 2012. Whatever happened to the US BD release might be related to license issues or it could be that the studio decided there wasn't as big of a demand as they thought.

To kinggo's point, it is not necessary to like the movie in order to like the pinball machine but it helps if you don't hate the movie because the machine has audio and visual references to the movie.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
During the webcast for Highspeed, they mentioned there was enough time to get TAF in season 3 (with 5 tables left)

They said the opposite. That there probably wouldn't be enough time to do a Kickstarter table this season - specifically "For Season 3 its looking a bit late." But followed that up by saying they are still hoping for Addams Family.

MadAxeMan

Jan 31, 2014
They said the opposite. That there probably wouldn't be enough time to do a Kickstarter table this season - specifically "For Season 3 its looking a bit late." But followed that up by saying they are still hoping for Addams Family.
Sorry, but that is not what they said.
The Question was how many tables were left in Season 3, after going to look it up and returning, it was said there was 5 tables left, followed by, there was enough time left to get TAF in season 3. They didn't bring anything up about Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts