How To Get Video from PS4 to Youtube

Spike Forehand

May 14, 2013
Hi All -

This came up in another thread, so I thought I'd post it here for all the PS4 players who might be interested in capturing gameplay on PS4 and getting it into an editable and/or uploadable state.

Here's an instructional article I wrote on how I do it without capture cards and stuff.

Getting Video from PS4 to Youtube

Apparently, the next PS4 patch will have a ton more video editing capabilities, so some of this may not applicable post-patch depending on if they give an easier way to export mp4 files.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
The patch is supposed to come out on Wednesday so for now I would just say to make sure you hit share to save your last 15 minutes and wait until then to export it to a USB stick. I believe they are also supposed to be including an option to capture at 720p

Then again, I haven't had share actually work properly for me in a long long time, it always end up saving footage from hours ago. So you may also need to bootup the PS4 fresh from a full power off before playing to help ensure it records the right footage.

Also, much easier to just install an addon like Flash Video Downloader.

Last edited:

Spike Forehand

May 14, 2013
Then again, I haven't had share actually work properly for me in a long long time, it always end up saving footage from hours ago. So you may also need to bootup the PS4 fresh from a full power off before playing to help ensure it records the right footage.

I've noticed this too. Seems like the "last 15 minute" thing is buggy. However, if you hit share and then start recording your gameplay it will be fine as long as you go back and hit share again before the 15 minutes is full. This works well for pinball as if I know the game is going to take a while, I will just pause and hit share repeatedly - like very 9-12 minutes or so - during a game to capture all the parts. I then download each of those segments individually as outlined above and stitch them together later in an editing program.

One thing that is kind of weird is that some games come out a little dark - especially with some editing programs (it happened to me when using Windows Movie Maker), so I've started to just use the youtube editor which is clunky but works. Looking forward to seeing what's in the new patch as they are saying it will be more full-featured and it will be great if it does allow network or memory stick saves.

This MM game was done the brute force way above and edited with the youtube editor:

GregoroV

Jan 14, 2014
Then again, I haven't had share actually work properly for me in a long long time, it always end up saving footage from hours ago.

The share function allways worked perfectly for me, and i made loads of videos. I dont know is it because after pressing share i going into the game folder (ie im playing TPA, i press share then im going into TPA folder and see video there), but i didnt test it properly - It may be some protection from over cluttering hdd with movies made by "accidental" share press. Also i think, changeing the game, or going to dashboard is interupting the "recording" of the game. For example if you play TPA for 14min, then you change game into Zen and play a minute, hitting share wil give you only minute movie from zen.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
1.70 is live. I've installed it but haven't played with it yet. Among the features though is an export to USB media option, as well as disable HDCP for games. Looks like it should be a lot easier now to get your videos where you want and how you want them.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I may be going nuts but display latency seems reduced on 1.7. This was not just in TPA, Knack seemed to have a more consistent frame rate whereas it always felt a little stuttery before.

I had thought that perhaps it had turned off HDCP by default (contrary to what Sony were saying) and that somehow improved my TVs input latency, but no it was still HDCP but my TV seemed to be much less laggy than usual. I accidentally played TPA with Trumotion enabled on my TV and the lag seemed to be better than Game mode had been previously.

Oh and WOW, the quality of the video clips exported to USB is really REALLY good. Infinitely better than the crap Facebook gave you. I have only tried with the stuff I already had on the PS4 HDD from months ago, so no idea if the stuff recorded WITH the new firmware is any different. Now if only they let you choose the frame rate and resolution it would be perfect. It should be capable of 1080p 60fps really as its done in the GPU, you can on PC for that very reason.

[video]http://csdprojects.co.uk/videos/Assassin%27s%20Creed%c2%ae%20IV%20Black%20Flag_201 31209035839.mp4[/video]

Last edited:

Spike Forehand

May 14, 2013
SHAREfactory is great - I put this together in about 15 mins very easily.

Only annoyance I had was that you can't go back into a game while rendering (probably using most of the CPU for this task), or while copying the rendered movie to USB (not sure why not here cause you can play while uploading to FB). Also, can't seem to figure out how to fade in or fade out music - which I wanna do with the little intro clip.

Still - it's so, so much easier than the old way I outlined above. And the quality seems great - still 720p at 30 fps but that's good enough imo.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts