Question and Help Needed

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
I took my xbox to a friend's recently, hooked it up to a large-screen hd tv. And then fired up Pinball Arcade, started playing and noticed some bad flipper lag, which really caught me off gaurd. Never got the lag at home, where I have a standard tv (27", plenty big enough).

Is there something I need to do to eliminate the flipper lag on the hd tv (for any future xbox roadtrips)?

TIA

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
This is something inherent to some televisions. What they're doing is receiving the HD signal, then processing it to create the image you see on the screen, creating lag. These TVs tend to have a "game mode," where the TV just displays the raw signal so there is no lag.

I suggest you try at least one other game, preferably one that requires precise controls (such as a shooter, a racing game, or a platformer), and see if the same lag happens.

N

netizen

for the most part, with HDTVs you want to make sure they are in game mode, and all extra processing is disabled to minimize any potential lag.

The specific titling of any settings is dependent on the make/model of the TV

dave950lam

Apr 20, 2012
This is something inherent to some televisions. What they're doing is receiving the HD signal, then processing it to create the image you see on the screen, creating lag. These TVs tend to have a "game mode," where the TV just displays the raw signal so there is no lag.

I suggest you try at least one other game, preferably one that requires precise controls (such as a shooter, a racing game, or a platformer), and see if the same lag happens.

Thunks, but what is 'game mode' and how to get this setting?

N

netizen

in general you'd go settings, video mode, and there will be various pre sets; one of which will be game mode

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Some HDTVs just have that lag built in and there's nothing you can do to fix it. What brand is your friend's?

There's an entire sizable website dedicated to this topic to help game players find good ones. http://www.displaylag.com/

I use an Asus 24" monitor picked thanks to that site, and it is excellently responsive.

SydyneBall

Jul 18, 2013
I did have that problem.

I have a large screen VISIO E series. It has a 'Game' video type setting as well as a 'Game' mode in the setting menu (yes, how confusing is that..)

The Regular video setting as well as the 'game' video setting give me horrible lag. Only by changes the mode to 'game' in the setting does it not lag. At that point, it doesn't matter what the video mode is set to.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
ALso many HDTVs will alway slag if you arent' running at your native resolution.

Since you have an xbox, which has a very fast internal scaler, you should set the xbox resolution is setup to match the TVs. that will eliminate some lag.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts