Hot News

IdontHave50cents

Mar 10, 2012
I totally love this forum and visit it nearly daily for some casual reading. I know though that the TPA Facebook site gets more traffic and thus love from the developers. That said, I think its great that you put periodic posts on Facebook to create awareness and hopefully drive new traffic to these forums.

HOWEVER, if traffic is coming here for the first time, many will probably see the HOT NEWS on the home page first, giving them a first impression. If the hot news is not "cutting-edge" up-to-date, then the impression is this forum isn't as current as Facebook so why come back. For example, there no story about Kickstarter being funded or the 2 new tables that have been announced, Gorgar & MB.

I know everything is current in the actual threads, but first impressions do mean a lot and it doesn't take much effort to throw those stories up on the front page even if it doesn't get as much hits as the Gen Forum page. Heck, I will volunteer to be that guy and would love to do so!

Aside from that little suggestion, I like these forums a lot. Hopefully, you'll agree that the goal is to create traffic and members. When that improves, you can be sure we'll have more developer posts and official announcements here (not copy/pasted from Facebook), which is what the majority of the users seem to want.

Thanks for all your hard work! I'm a big fan! I love the Bobby King Q&A feature! Brilliant!

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I totally love this forum and visit it nearly daily for some casual reading. I know though that the TPA Facebook site gets more traffic and thus love from the developers. That said, I think its great that you put periodic posts on Facebook to create awareness and hopefully drive new traffic to these forums.

HOWEVER, if traffic is coming here for the first time, many will probably see the HOT NEWS on the home page first, giving them a first impression. If the hot news is not "cutting-edge" up-to-date, then the impression is this forum isn't as current as Facebook so why come back. For example, there no story about Kickstarter being funded or the 2 new tables that have been announced, Gorgar & MB.

I know everything is current in the actual threads, but first impressions do mean a lot and it doesn't take much effort to throw those stories up on the front page even if it doesn't get as much hits as the Gen Forum page. Heck, I will volunteer to be that guy and would love to do so!

Aside from that little suggestion, I like these forums a lot. Hopefully, you'll agree that the goal is to create traffic and members. When that improves, you can be sure we'll have more developer posts and official announcements here (not copy/pasted from Facebook), which is what the majority of the users seem to want.

Thanks for all your hard work! I'm a big fan! I love the Bobby King Q&A feature! Brilliant!

I agree that the Hot News section on the front page needs to be more current and if I was given access to that section, I would be more than happy to keep it up to date as I do my News Thread, but that's up to Gord.

N

Nik Barbour

I think that's an excellent point IDontHave50Cents.
And who better to post the news than PinWiz!

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Yup. I'm gonna have to agree with you three. The main page needs to be kept up to date. Pin Wiz posts Farsight updates very well and should be able to keep page one up to date.

N

Nik Barbour

If/When PiN WiZ's news posts get moved to the front page 'Hot News' section, would it still be possible to get the notification by email every time there is an update or news flash. (Currently done under thread tools, notify immediately by email).
I find this really handy (plus my employer gets more work out of me, by me not checking my phone every half hour.:cool:)

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
If/When PiN WiZ's news posts get moved to the front page 'Hot News' section, would it still be possible to get the notification by email every time there is an update or news flash. (Currently done under thread tools, notify immediately by email).
I find this really handy (plus my employer gets more work out of me, by me not checking my phone every half hour.:cool:)

If Gord allows me to update the Hot News section, I would only post major headlines there and would continue to update my News Thread as normal. I will not get rid of my News Thread as it contains a plethora of information that I wouldn't want to crowd the Hot News section with.

N

Nik Barbour

If Gord allows me to update the Hot News section, I would only post major headlines there and would continue to update my News Thread as normal. I will not get rid of my News Thread as it contains a plethora of information that I wouldn't want to crowd the Hot News section with.

No problem - thanks for clearing that up.
I really appreciate the updates is all.
Thanks again PiN WiZ!

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'll wade through the options for VB and find a way to get Pin Wiz the ability to post to the homepage.

I tried posting something about the Kickstarter being funded while I was in Ukraine (I'm back now, and tired), but the post didn't go through, and I could get back to working on it before spending all of yesterday flying home.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'll wade through the options for VB and find a way to get Pin Wiz the ability to post to the homepage.

I tried posting something about the Kickstarter being funded while I was in Ukraine (I'm back now, and tired), but the post didn't go through, and I could get back to working on it before spending all of yesterday flying home.

I'm always here to help out whenever you need it. :)

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
He was surprisingly good on all the flights. I think we had maybe a minute of crying on each flight (with flights lasting 4 hours, 9 hours and 2.5 hours). He definitely wasn't the "annoying crying baby" on the flight.

N

Nik Barbour

He was surprisingly good on all the flights. I think we had maybe a minute of crying on each flight (with flights lasting 4 hours, 9 hours and 2.5 hours). He definitely wasn't the "annoying crying baby" on the flight.

That's great. Must be so wierd for them when they pressurise.
That's a fair return trip though.
I have quite long legs and somehow always manage to sit behind the guy who wants to put his chair back before we even take off, so I may just be the "annoying crying adult" on the flight.
Hate flying - but love travelling.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I hear ya there! I'm 6'8", and I used to get the exit row on most flights. That's not possible now because of the baby, so I was a little... stiff after getting off the last flight. Flying sucks, but it's worth the hassle to visit other places in the world.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.