Monster Movie Pinball

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Hello everyone

I have been very busy building another original table in Unity. The table name is not final so if you want to throw any ideas out there for a table name im open to suggestions ;)

I have prototyped the table layout already and then worked on all the graphics. Im still busy as you can see, still need to add a few more table lights and another drop target image etc... after that I will work on the game play mechanics and DMD.

This is definitely a ramp up from my first table I did and I will try to make it as awesome as possible.

uc

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Hello everyone

I have been very busy building another original table in Unity. The table name is not final so if you want to throw any ideas out there for a table name im open to suggestions ;)

I have prototyped the table layout already and then worked on all the graphics. Im still busy as you can see, still need to add a few more table lights and another drop target image etc... after that I will work on the game play mechanics and DMD.

This is definitely a ramp up from my first table I did and I will try to make it as awesome as possible.

uc

I'm not familiar with your first table. Did you create Tortuga Tales?

Edit: Aha! I knew the graphic style looked familiar. Yep you did. :D

Be sure to run it through XDA Android App Testers again when it's ready for alpha testing.

Last edited:

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Thanks Espy

Thanks for the suggestion night

Hey Jared

yup indeed, I guess my art style is similar to my first table but as I mentioned in my first post this table is definitely a ramp up from that one. With my first table I just built everything low poly to begin with. This time I built it all high poly , normal , spec mapped etc. The characters were also sculpted in sculptris and then retopology with high to low normal map bake. So this time hopefully I will be able to deliver a great desktop version of the game as well.

Tortuga tales also had very simple game play mechanics, I want to create a rich featured table this time round! I will be sure to submit the android version to the XDA group again for alpha testing thanks ;)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Thanks Espy

Thanks for the suggestion night

Hey Jared

yup indeed, I guess my art style is similar to my first table but as I mentioned in my first post this table is definitely a ramp up from that one. With my first table I just built everything low poly to begin with. This time I built it all high poly , normal , spec mapped etc. The characters were also sculpted in sculptris and then retopology with high to low normal map bake. So this time hopefully I will be able to deliver a great desktop version of the game as well.

Tortuga tales also had very simple game play mechanics, I want to create a rich featured table this time round! I will be sure to submit the android version to the XDA group again for alpha testing thanks ;)

While your art style is similar to Tortuga, you have well and truly upped the ante with your latest effort. It almost looks like something Zen would offer, but more real-world.

I remember that Tortuga was more of a practice project you just decided to publish anyhow. Seriously, it's better than many pinball apps out there now on Google Play.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from you. Have you got any zoomed-in close ups of the art. I want to know what's on that tombstone. ;-)

Keep up the great start, and momentum.

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
One thing I would say is that the ramps are nicely textured but the playfield is a plain colour. The two would integrate more seamlessly with a more detailed playfield. I know there are images on it but they don't stand out a huge amount.

night

May 18, 2012
I don't like the woodwork texture behind the flippers. Table artwork is too empty and could use some more color/light, more pop.
But it's going to be a very nice table for sure.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
nice logo night ;)

Im not too sure about having the word blood in the title as it might detour some folks who might think its going to be a gore experience and secondly, there wont be any gore, so others might then be disappointed. Its a light hearted monster theme.. Think more children's story enchantments, disney witches etc..

I appreciate the input immensely though so thanks for that.

The wood piece is very bland indeed , this area needs way more work and detail. I actually have a cool idea for the ball launcher .. I want to have an Egor character pulling a lever. I have already started on the sculpt for the egor ( not styled like egor the movie but the idea is definitely a tribute to that. EGOR! Pull the SWITCH! )

Thanks jared I have not made any other close up renders yet but I will do one of the tomb stone for you and attach it soon, it does have real words on it ;)

Espy you are correct , the playfield needs some detail on the upper half to break the color up somewhat. There are going to be more lights in those open areas too. The playfield graphic at the bottom ( the eyes at the bottom ) and the tables lights in a circle are actually the only art work that is not mine, I especially sourced these out online and bought them from a Russian artist as they matched my art style idea I had for the playfield. Saving some development time ;)

hey baron I will consider making a way for other testers outside of the XDA group for sure. One thing to note is Im hoping to make some money from this game , I gave my first one away for free ;) So it needs to be a controlled environment or perhaps have annoying adverts which people can then pay to get the ad free version, this is for mobile obviously, free to play sucks for developers but its all the users fault for generally not supporting full paid for apps. For desktop steam is difficult to get onto and the greenlight program is somewhat a hit and miss which not even they themselves seem to believe in, I was considering windows store or something like a microsite with paypal etc..

night

May 18, 2012
nice logo night ;)

Im not too sure about having the word blood in the title as it might detour some folks who might think its going to be a gore experience and secondly, there wont be any gore, so others might then be disappointed. Its a light hearted monster theme.. Think more children's story enchantments, disney witches etc..

I appreciate the input immensely though so thanks for that.

The wood piece is very bland indeed , this area needs way more work and detail. I actually have a cool idea for the ball launcher .. I want to have an Egor character pulling a lever. I have already started on the sculpt for the egor ( not styled like egor the movie but the idea is definitely a tribute to that. EGOR! Pull the SWITCH! )

Ok, the title should be more Dinsey.. So, let' say: 'For God your soul, for me your flesh' is out of the question? :cool:

All cool ideas, and just keep posting new images, perhaps our suggestions will help you make it even better.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
It would be a good idea to post an apk here also.
You'll get feedback on the Pinball design also that way not just hardware.

New table looks nice.

We offer a pretty holistic service. XDA is for brand clout only: we are app testers for developers. Check out our G+ for examples of past beta tests.

Folks here will probably have more experience with table design, so Baron has a point there.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
hey baron I will consider making a way for other testers outside of the XDA group for sure. One thing to note is Im hoping to make some money from this game , I gave my first one away for free ;) So it needs to be a controlled environment or perhaps have annoying adverts which people can then pay to get the ad free version, this is for mobile obviously, free to play sucks for developers but its all the users fault for generally not supporting full paid for apps. For desktop steam is difficult to get onto and the greenlight program is somewhat a hit and miss which not even they themselves seem to believe in, I was considering windows store or something like a microsite with paypal etc..

I'd be more than happy to purchase prior to testing, and guess others here would do similar.
It's what we do with TPA already.

Devs gotta eat after all. We get more good Pinball is our benefit.

I used to have a table on ipod nano called 'Mystery Mansion' Pinball.
http://www.bradcook.net/games/ipod/mysterymansionpinball/
Great little table, check it out on Java. Just reminds me of this with your pics.

Re the name- if loosly movie themed, you could go with "Horror Flick". Flick, Pinball hmmmmm.

shaderbytes

May 24, 2013
Ok, the title should be more Dinsey.. So, let' say: 'For God your soul, for me your flesh' is out of the question?

haha.. umm yes

All cool ideas, and just keep posting new images, perhaps our suggestions will help you make it even better.

will do, early feedback is very helpful!

Thanks Baron , I have never seen that table before , I see its by gameloft. They are a pretty huge company. Gonna check for any gameplay videos on youtube ;)

Thanks for "Horror Flick" another good suggestion to add to the ideas pool.

N

netizen

I remember playing Tortuga Tales, it had potential.

This looks like a stripped down Little Wing game with a wide body idea crammed onto a narrow body playfield. The Left side looks like there's a bit of unused playfield, but without knowing for certain if that Witch and Church model are play elements or just models.
I remember you had difficulty with your audio sample clearances or getting good Foley clips for a more realistic sound, as you had lots of really wooden hits and more drum head sort of contacts with the targets. I am curious what sort of progress you made on making for a "realistic" pinball aural experience with this, or are you going for the full fantasy immersion?

Compared to Tortuga Tales you've modelled your flippers really well. They are nice and fat, not so skinny and long.
I am not a fan of the dancing characters on sling shots, but to each their own, right. The Pop bumpers look like Pumpkin Trees, is that an intentional look?

I would totally pay you for an APK, I enjoyed Tortuga Tales and it looks like you're making good progress on your skills as a developer. There is a need to support those skills wherever they are.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.