iOS v1.1.2 changes

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
BH camera bug is fixed.
Also, when in the lower playfield, hitting the bumpers no longer closes the gate.

CV can be prone to crash for some devices on startup. (try completely uninstalling and redownlading and it should fix the crash issue).
When CV doesn't crash, the HUD is now off by default, the physics are improved, the outlanes now drain more (which is more realistic), and most of the bugs seem to be fixed.

FH is now blue on the inside instead of black.

Anyone notice anything else?

Last edited:

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
This seems to be the very same version as the beta test. I've bitten the bullet now and uninstalled the beta and re-installed 1.1.2 proper and CV works fine now.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
No idea what "post processing" is supposed to do (desaturates color, turns the framerate to smooth as butter to unplayably choppy on my iPad 3).

Freep

Jun 4, 2012
Circus Voltaire now crashes the app almost immediately, consistently. iOS 5.1.1 :( Wish I could roll back to 1.1.1

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Circus Voltaire now crashes the app almost immediately, consistently. iOS 5.1.1 :( Wish I could roll back to 1.1.1

It'll probably be ok if you completely uninstall and re-install but you'll lose scores/goals.

raschi

Jun 4, 2012
I think the post prosessing option is the first attempt at improved lighting on the new iPad. I was wondering if, instead of trying to fake improved lighting, maybe you could drop the resolution on the new iPad to 1024x768 and use the extra prosessing power on a real-time lighting engine. As an option of course.

Jay

May 19, 2012
Funhouse looks brighter on my iPad (must be the new lighting). It now seems much easier to get to Rudy's hideout. The left plunger is ridiculously long now. I made a shot during multiball that smacked Rudy, but the ball went right through him and vanished. A moment later it shot out of the right plunger. The music bug seems fixed.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Hey guys

New here but i wouldn't be overly critical of the new lighting its more of tech demo than Production code atm. Love the game, was looking foward to blackhole again until i realised it ***** slaps me.

Only true issue i have with the game is theres not enough tables lol. id love more 80s stuff. I was a kid in the early 90s and while dmd games seem to be all the rage id love to experience some older 80s stuff.

Id sell a kidney for warlock.

Tried to play gorgar on vp earlier i felt kinda dirty after a few days of bop in pa

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
Was the behavior of the re-entry gate on Black Hole changed on purpose, or is that a new bug (fact that it doesn't close when bumpers are hit)? Instructions still say it's supposed to close, so I assume this is a bug that happens to make the game much easier.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Funhouse looks brighter on my iPad (must be the new lighting). It now seems much easier to get to Rudy's hideout. The left plunger is ridiculously long now. I made a shot during multiball that smacked Rudy, but the ball went right through him and vanished. A moment later it shot out of the right plunger. The music bug seems fixed.

It almost seems too easy to hit the Hideout now. It seems like the ball loses too much speed around the loop.

Was the behavior of the re-entry gate on Black Hole changed on purpose, or is that a new bug (fact that it doesn't close when bumpers are hit)? Instructions still say it's supposed to close, so I assume this is a bug that happens to make the game much easier.

From what I've heard, the real table is supposed to be like this and the gate isn't supposed to close like it did before on lower playfield bumper hits.......it's been so long since I played a real BH, so I don't personally remember. I think someone said the VP version is like this too....so it seems Farsight is making the table more realistic now that they have a real BH machine back in their office.

Last edited:

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
It almost seems too easy to hit the Hideout now. It seems like the ball loses too much speed around the loop.

From what I've heard, the real table is supposed to be like this and the gate isn't supposed to close like it did before on lower playfield bumper hits.......it's been so long since I played a real BH, so I don't personally remember. I think someone said the VP version is like this too....so it seems Farsight is making the table more realistic now that they have a real BH machine back in their office.

That makes sense - used to play this a lot in the arcade, but can't remember how it worked back then. I did think it seemed really odd that there was such a long sequence to open the gate from the top (light and hit rollover lane) for something that almost immediately reversed before you could make use of it. I guess the instructions are just out of date now. I do hope they'll come up with a tournament mode soon, or let the specials go back to giving credits. This table was already really easy once you got in the zone.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
was looking foward to blackhole again until i realised it ***** slaps me.

Haha, yeah! I'd like to trick myself into thinking I'm actually getting better at pinball, but BH just throws it all out the window. The whole playfield just seems so... weird. Takes me ages to even get to the lower playfield before I lost all 3 balls to that nasty left outlane.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I think the post prosessing option is the first attempt at improved lighting on the new iPad. I was wondering if, instead of trying to fake improved lighting, maybe you could drop the resolution on the new iPad to 1024x768 and use the extra prosessing power on a real-time lighting engine. As an option of course.

You know, I'm absolutely in love with the hi-res graphics, I can read all the lights even far back in the machines. But real-time lightning? I would love to leave some pixel behind for that. I enjoy staring at beautiful table art and all that, but the seizure-inducing strobes of a real pinball is something really missing on the iOS version.

And judging by how fast the new iPad is selling, it might very well be worth the effort! And really, it's not just a cosmetic thing, but on some tables like RBION I find it really hard to tell what lights are actually lit or not (take the 3x3 grid above the flippers for example).

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Im blind as a bat so some things are still hard to read for me heh. I do love the possiblity tho. id hate to see their quality degrade too much in favour of lighting, guess we(asin customers and an ovbiously attentive farsight) just needa find a sweet spot.

A night mode with downsampled tables for improved lighting would be great but then you need two copies of the table and people dont seem to even like downloading improvments*rollseyes* well the facebook crowd anyway this place seems much more sane! Well aside from me.

Last edited:

raschi

Jun 4, 2012
I think that 60 FPS must never be compromised on this title. I would however be willing to drop the resolution in favor of a real-time lighting engine. I don't think the download sizes would increase very much either, as you wouldn't need separate tables for day/night mode. Maybe there also will be some juice left for some anti-aliasing.

It would be a smart investment, I think, and when the next iPad comes around we will get both the lighting and the resolution:)

What do you think?

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I think that 60 FPS must never be compromised on this title. I would however be willing to drop the resolution in favor of a real-time lighting engine. I don't think the download sizes would increase very much either, as you wouldn't need separate tables for day/night mode. Maybe there also will be some juice left for some anti-aliasing.

It would be a smart investment, I think, and when the next iPad comes around we will get both the lighting and the resolution:)

What do you think?

Id imagine Its just a case of optimization at this point, if the machine truely doesnt have the power for it(at least with farsights engine) you might have to expect lower overall texture and polygon count (all a guess 3d engines arent a strong point heh) which should only increase from my pov. Lowering clarity for what is a very needed feature might be good but its a shame to give something then take it away.

I am kinda worried that even unoptimized lighting effects cripple the new hardware tho, kinda looking at it as a preview of whats to come....

But aye fps is a must, i just hope we dont have to wait for next generation hardware to have the improved lighting

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
the ball physics in blackhole seem to have changed a great deal the ball feels alittle heavier with more speed seems to arch overbthe centerfield aswell. Just an observation...had my best game tho 3.7 million ...more like that

raschi

Jun 4, 2012
Id imagine Its just a case of optimization at this point, if the machine truely doesnt have the power for it(at least with farsights engine) you might have to expect lower overall texture and polygon count (all a guess 3d engines arent a strong point heh) which should only increase from my pov. Lowering clarity for what is a very needed feature might be good but its a shame to give something then take it away.

I am kinda worried that even unoptimized lighting effects cripple the new hardware tho, kinda looking at it as a preview of whats to come....

But aye fps is a must, i just hope we dont have to wait for next generation hardware to have the improved lighting

The new iPad's extra prosessing power often kinda just gets lost in the resolution bump. Therefore I think it would be wise to drop the resolution, and implement the lighting engine found on the consoles as an option, if possible. I think it's a good compromise, and probably cheaper and easier for Farsight to maintain. And when the next iPad arrives I can only imagine sweetness:)
The iPhone 4S should also benefit from this, since it has the same resolution as 4, but a lot more prosessing power.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.