Steam Cloud saves not syncing... again

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
After getting burned by TPA cross platform saves before, I was more cautious with the new Junkyard version that just came out. Like last time, I loaded it up on my MBP first and noticed that none of my goals or scores came along with it. I know they *were* there because last time when this happened I re-earned a bunch of them on my Windows 7 PC and had that save sync to my MBP.

I tabbed out, turned off my wifi, force quit Steam, and then force quit TPA to keep it from making another new cloud save that my PC would pull down and erase all my goals/scores again. Now I'm afraid to restart Steam in case it goes ahead and does that anyway.

Why does TPA keep nuking my save when a new version is released?

For reference, here is the thread from the PC forum where it was discussed late time:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/7313-Lost-scores-and-goals-AGAIN

Last edited:

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
I'm doing some more troubleshooting. I played Junkyard on the Win7 PC, earned a goal, and set a high score. Quit and saw Steam sync the cloud save. In C:\users\<user>\my games\pinball arcade I have datae.dat (1KB) and HighScores.dat (603 KB), both with a time stamp of 8:09 AM. These would be the "S1" saves, as explained by the thread Stuart linked to in the PC forum. I checked these against my Steam folder.

In C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<steam ID>\238260\remote, there is a pbaprg.dat (87 KB), also with a 8:09 AM time stamp. I'm not sure why the file sizes and name(s) are different. This is the "S2" save.

Steam supposed to take the S1 save and copy it to S2, then uploads S2 to their servers, making S3. When syncing saves, you would then pull down S3 from Steam.

So far so good. Everything is working as it should on my PC. Now we'll go to the macbook...

I was still afraid to let Steam try to sync the local save from my macbook. So, following the guide Stuart linked, I deleted the TPA's app ID folder from the machine. I went to users\<user>\Library\Application Support\Steam\userdata\<steam ID>\238260\ and moved that folder to the trash while Steam was not running. I then opened Steam and started TPA. Then I followed my normal procedure of tabbing out, turning off wifi, force quit Steam, force quit TPA.

Now looking in my Steam directory again, I can see that it recreated the 238260 directory and put pbaprg.dat (88 KB) in there with a time stamp of 8:10 AM. I'm guessing that the very slight size and time differences are due to how OSX vs Windows rounds values. It certainly seems to be the correct S3 file that was uploaded from my Win7 PC.

Soooo... Windows did everything right. OSX messed something up and either didn't pull down the S3 save, OR it did pull it down, but the save isn't compatible. Now after forcing Steam to pull it down, when I start TPA on the macbook with Steam in offline mode, I get an error that says NSowner and the only tables I have available are Arabian Nights and Fish Tales, both of which don't look like they pulled and goals or scores in.

Next I uninstalled the game from Steam, trashed the users\<user>\Library\Application Support\Steam\userdata\<steam ID>\238260 directory as well as the users\<user>\Library\Application Support\com.farsightstudios.osx.pinballarcadesteam directory. I'm trying to remove every local trace of TPA from this machine, aside from the keychain. Reinstalled TPA from Steam and still don't have my goals and scores.

I've tried everything I can think of. Any ideas?

Members online

Members online